Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!!

• 02-07-2007 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey I dont' know if this is the correct forum for problem solving but i'll explain anyway!

My computer crashed a few months ago and i couldn't find the recovery disk. So i used a work colleagues recovery disc. My computer is a dell dimension 3000 his being a 2400. I didnt' think that was much of a difference. So i installed it no problem. But it was missing many of the drivers for the ethernet card and stuff so that took ages to get as i couldn't use broadband.

That worked for awhile, until i started to get spyware and adware. So now i'm getting loads of pop ups and my computer telling my there are corrupt files??

I really need to resest it again. But i dont' want to have to use that revovery disk again.

I called dell and asked if they could send me one. But apparently they dont' make them for my computer??

Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

why not use his disc again to reinstall, use his pc to download all the drivers, get a usb key and copy them across? then get an up-to date anti-virus/spyware/malware/etc protection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

If someone here has a dimension 3000, you could get a copy of the CD.

Otherwise, as CM said, take the pain - wipe the machine and reinstall. Use another machine to download all the drivers and get your machine back to stability BEFORE putting back on the web.

Personally, before I'd put it near the web, I'd have it 100% up to date with drives etc. - no software/applications installed and then I'd take a Ghost/Acronis image of it. This'll save you a load of time the next time you need to re-install.

Normally, I'd suggest you persevere in trying to remove the spyware - it's good learning but I'm thinking you're not 100% comfortable doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

Ya ok i'll try that with the usb key. But like where do you find the driver files that i need? Thats the one thing i'm worried about. It's like a vicious circle! I need to go online to get the drivers but i need the drivers to go online!

Can you get on-line at all with it now?

your friends pc? internet cafe? .... you can get them probably from the dell website, or google if you know the driver it needs.

• Advertisement

Whatever machine you'er using now - get on the Dell website and get downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

mmm i'll try that!

Thanks a million guys!

Damn computers. boohissboo!

damn computers? no.

pebkas tbh! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Or you could ring dell and ask them for a recovery disk !

Advertisement