Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collinstown

Options
  • 02-07-2007 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving here and commuting to work in Dublin. Is there anything to do there e,g Macra Na Feirme, drama society, womens group, historical society. The area looks really nice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mattDL

Snoozeville - nothing happening at all at all !!

Try Castlepollard or Athboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Is there life in Castlepollard/ It seems savage quite. I just don't want to move down to Westmeath. I want to get involved in a few things too as the evenings can be quite long and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try a large town like mullingar. Will also make commuting better as the road network and public transport is a lot better there.

I'm not too keen on Mullingar town (know the area well). Would prefer the benefits of country living if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm not too keen on Mullingar town (know the area well). Would prefer the benefits of country living if possible.

How about Ballymore?
    Its pretty much in the country but has some nice new houses being built.
    Near both Athlone and Mullingar and AA Roadwatch clocks it around the
    same commute time to Dublin as Collinstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Hi Mrs. MacGyver
    I'm from Castlepollard so I know the area you're talking about like the back of my hand! Collinstown would probably be a good move if you want a taste of Country life. There is a strong Drama society based in Castlepollard. They put on a show once a year that's musical and comedy sketch based. The Arts Centre in Mullingar has groups that put on plays of all kinds that you could get involved in.

There's a Macra in the area also. The Westmeath Historical Society is also quite active.

You're near enough to Mullingar to get involved in stuff there also.

I hope you're happy whatever you choose. :)

That sounds class. I know 2 people one from Delvin and one from Collinstown. Dublin is wrecking my head so i'll give the crazy commuting a go! Thanks for the info. Glad theres a historical society as i'm well inot that and archaeology. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

I know someone in the Historical Society so P.M. me when you make the move and I'll put you in touch with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

If you are looking to commute to Dublin I would go for Delvin. Its that little bit closer (10 mins just over the meath boarder) and the journy on the back roads is much nicer than sitting on the N4. I do it every day, you just have to watch out for rabbits.:D

Delvin isn't that bad actually (was at a wedding there last year) although i didn't consider it an option at the beginning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 langara

Hi

i live in athboy at the minute but will be moving to delvin shortly. I would conside there to be more to do in Athboy then in Delvin but there is only a short distance drive between the two. hope you like the country life! i moved from Dublin a few years ago it was a big change but i love it and wouldnt move back for anything!!!

best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Dori Duz wrote:
    Hi Mrs. MacGyver
    I'm from Castlepollard so I know the area you're talking about like the back of my hand! Collinstown would probably be a good move if you want a taste of Country life. There is a strong Drama society based in Castlepollard. They put on a show once a year that's musical and comedy sketch based. The Arts Centre in Mullingar has groups that put on plays of all kinds that you could get involved in.

There's a Macra in the area also. The Westmeath Historical Society is also quite active.

You're near enough to Mullingar to get involved in stuff there also.

I hope you're happy whatever you choose. :)

I am also from the castlepollard area, (Coole to be precise) and have to agree with everything written here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Its awful quiet most of the time, pubs are just the same faces, decent shop, decent school, but the commute will be a pain in the ass. If you just want to get away from dublin its good. Its savage during the summer with the lakes and rivers in the area if you're into watersports or outdoor activities. the locals are nice by and large, the loonies stand out and are easily avoided. Main problem is that you gotta travel to Mullingar or further for any sort of night life, but if you're prepared to go that far then there are all sorts of things to do to fill the evenings. One thing you won't get down here is Broadband, for love or money but I understand there are a few local interests putting something together.
    If you do move down this part of the world, make sure you've got wheels, cos without them everywhere gets very far away.
    Best of luck,
    If You've any problems PM me, If there is anything I can do to help I will.

Thanks, my best friend lives outside the village near the car badge factory so i have an idea the place is a bit removed from things! I dont head out much just interested n the quiet life, history , heritage and watersports/shooting.hunting. I have wheels so will prob end up driving to mulllingar and getting the train to work (my office is near the train station so thats a relief!) I still havent brought a house but this is the year for me to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Broadband !
    02 broadband does work here, despite what they will tell you in the shop....bizarre

Advertisement