Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hesitation

Options
  • 02-07-2007 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I'm taking my test soon and have been told I'm at or above test standard bar the odd undue hesitation.

I know what this means in an obvious sense, e.g. waiting too long to turn onto a main road and this isn't the type of hesitation I have.
    Sometimes I feel when i make what I feel is a safe choice, I get told it's hesitation. Like other drivers trying to jump out - I'd rather be safe and hold back rather than be possessive of the road, especially if there isn't a lot of traffic behind me. Although the instructor views this as being scared or timid and I suppose I have to go with what he says for the test!

I'm learning in the UK so 95% of my driving has been with an instructor. I have my own car now though and friends have started to help me practice in the run up to the test. I am hoping this will help me be more authorative on the road, I certainly feel more confident.

Is there something I am not 'getting' though?

I realise there may be slight differences with the UK and Ireland, but any advice is welcomed. We're allowed 15 minors on the test and each example of undue hesitation is considered one. 3 of the same minors are supposed to add up to one serious fault, which means a fail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Go out at peak traffic times once or twice a week. It can be so busy that it will get to a point where you can't sit back and will have to take any safe opportunity that arises. This will help you develop an understanding of what is a 'safe spot' and to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Cheers for the advice Sangre.
    I'll give it a go. It will be, as you say, something you only get with the right practice and I think I won't understand it til I do it right one of these times and the penny drops.

I'm generally a good safe driver, but not withstanding me doing something utterly daft on the day, it's this that could add up to a fail.

I'm going out at least once a day in the 10 days before the test, driving at different times in different conditions, so fingers crossed.

Advertisement