Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the actual test procedure?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I've my test in a few months, on my first prov and driving since oct. I've had 5 lessons and to be fair have picked it up very well (considering i always thought i'd be a crap driver) Judging myself on my driving so far, i think i'm good enough to pass, have driven all around the country at this stage (to be honset without a full licenced driver and i took off the l plates to drive on the motorway and never put them back on) I dont take the piss and i rarely speed. I use roundabouts and indicate properly etc...

but whats the actual test procedure? what am i expected to do/know?

I do know theres a new mechanical part to the test where you have to be able to identify engine parts? (which is ok as i know my oil filters from my spark plugs)

reversing round corners? paralell parking?

what actually goes on in the test and what are they looking for?

I'm hoping to be a full driver before i'm driving a year....

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

From my own (failing) experience at churchtown:

You turn up at the test centre, and pick a nice spot, and reverse into it so you've a nice start. You go in and sit down in the waiting room. The tester will come and call you by name and he'll bring you into a room.

He'll check your license, and ask you questions about the rules of the road, and road signs. Then he'll ask you to go out to your car.

He won't get in at first, so neither should you. He will start by doing under the bonnet checks. Then he'll ask you to get in and put the key in 2, and check the lights, wipers and horn.

He then will ask you to drive 'normally'. Remember from the minute you start the engine he'll be looking at you, so don't make a foul up before you leave (like I did!). Try to imagine he's not there, and put his seat back a few notches before the test too if you like. He will give terse concise instructions like 'Take the next left here please'. If he gives no instruction at a junction it means go straight ahead.

He will during the course of the test (possibly very early on) ask you to do the three set-piece manoeuvres.

The test will last just over half an hour realistically. At the end he will ask you to accompany him to the test centre for the result. He won't tell you there and then, and the guy I had didn't give me any feedback on failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Red Alert wrote:
    The test will last just over half an hour realistically. At the end he will ask you to accompany him to the test centre for the result. He won't tell you there and then, and the guy I had didn't give me any feedback on failing.

Did my test 3 times. Failed twice. The first guy gave no feedback whatsoever, i had 3 grade 2's and 1 grade 3 (instant fail) i think it was for turning left but he wouldnt elaborate.

The second test i fot 5 grade 2's but 4 were for gears, not going into 4th gear.
    He explained that the car i was using 1.8 could handle doing 20mph in 4th gear, so next time i did my test i didnt get one mark against me and passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

My test was just like Red Alert's there, although because it was lashing rain my tester just said 'you know where all the stuff I could ask you about under the bonnet is do you?' and I (truthfully) said yes so he said 'well we won't bother with that then given the weather' and we went on to the practical part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Hey Everyone,

I got a book recently in Read's of Nassau Street by Brian O'Leary called 'Get it! The Irish Driving Test'. It's about a tenner and published by Poolbeg. It shows you the driving test report card (what the examiner is marking during your test) and explains all about the Grade 1-grade 3 faults and categories you are marked on ie; progress, position, observation. I find it good and hopefully it'll be a help before the test :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

All that information and much more is available in the new edition of Rules of the Road. €4 at all good bookshops.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I had a much more positive experience at my test yesterday which I failed than the one in December. The guy made sure leaving the test centre after I failed that I knew why and wouldn't do it again.

Advertisement