Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband USB Modems over Mobile Networks versus Data Costs on Mobiles

Options
  • 02-07-2007 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Vodafone Ireland Network

OK I have a N95 Nokia Mobile which can act as a Modem, however I must pay 2c per kb for data access.

I can buy a USB Modem from Vodafone for about €130 and then for about €40 euro's a month can have unlimited data usage at HSDPA (if covered which I would be) speeds.

My Phone can do exactly what the USB Modem Vodafone provide can do, but I am not allowed to use that data package on my mobile.

Both cases above use the same technology and the same network and would have the same overheads to Vodafone.

Why the hell can't they provide this for me?

Rant over,

Thanks

Inqui

PS Same applies to 3 and O2 afaik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thinking about it it's because VOIP would kill them stone dead. I can use Skype on my mobile, but it's only cost effective at home or on a free wifi network, due to the data costs involved of paying what Voda charge.

Still sucks tho

Inqui

I'd take it with VOIP banned anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Inquitus wrote:
    My Phone can do exactly what the USB Modem Vodafone provide can do, but I am not allowed to use that data package on my mobile.

Both cases above use the same technology and the same network and would have the same overheads to Vodafone.

Why the hell can't they provide this for me?
    They would make less money if they provided that. None of their competitors is providing such a combined service so where is the incentive?

Mobile operators in Ireland seem to be operating as if they were a cartel. An outsider needs to come in and shake up the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

3 already allow you to add an "unlimited data" option for €19.99 to your phone, and rumour has it that O2 will also allow you to do this for €30 a month from the 9th of July.

Meteor also let you add 10 GB of data for €30 a month, though they do not have a fast 3G network.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

AFAIK: The sim for the data service will work in phone, but only incoming and emergency call

If you are online a lot a separate phone is a better idea. I don't think the phone can take calls while in use as a modem.

3 already allow you to add an "unlimited data" option for €19.99 to your phone,
    Is this not available only on a data-only SIM card?

• Advertisement

3 is the same as Vodaphone it is avail only through a seperate USB Modem, not available on your phone.

It is grossly misrepresented on their website at this time, and implies that you can get a 10GB data package for your mobile, this is simply untrue, I have spoken to them and visited the store. You can get a 10GB package if you buy a USB Modem (which is a mobile phone of sorts allbeit one you cant make calls from :p ) but not a 10GB package for data usage on your mobile phone proper.

Inqui

Clarification Edit:
    You can get unlimited mobile broadband for 19.99, but it is limited to http only so effectively a useless POS.

Only the USB Modem provides a proper ISP service and cannot be used with a phone.

Apparently if you add the "unlimited data add on" on postpay, it is not limited to http only. It's only limited on prepay, presumably because they want to cripple prepay users and get them to sign a contract.

Inquitus wrote:
    You can get unlimited mobile broadband for 19.99, but it is limited to http only so effectively a useless POS.

Only the USB Modem provides a proper ISP service and cannot be used with a phone.
    Arbitrary crippling of services in order to protect revenue. Still, it is a lot better than several years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Apparently if you add the "unlimited data add on" on postpay, it is not limited to http only. It's only limited on prepay, presumably because they want to cripple prepay users and get them to sign a contract.

The nice thing about the mobile add-on is that you can turn it off whenever you don't need it so if you only need mobile "broadband" (my phone is not HSDPA capable so it's 384kbps) for a limited period of time you can turn it on as needed. I'm in this position over the next couple of months so I can pay €20 a month for a couple of months and get basic broadband access and then turn it off again. Obviously extraordinarily handy when roaming in a 3 Like Home country.

The problem with VOIP is that the default codec G.711 is fine on WiFi using 100kbps, but that is mad on on upstream of Mobile network. Unless there is a way to standardise on G.729 (costs per handset) or speex (free & open source) or iLBC (free, not open source), any of which are a more manageable < 12kbps upstream, then VOIP on Mobile network has a problem. The most popular laptop Soft phones for SIP/VOIP don't use speex or G.729. You need the pro pay only versions for G.729 and unless the gateway or SIP peer supports speex, using a free Softphone with that will switch to the hungry G.711.

I used to think it was just about revenue. But when you study VOIP closely, the issues of codec, bandwidth and QOS, do put some merit in Vodaphone's claims about disabling feature in phone to "protect user". Of course it *IS* about revenue mostly.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what the relevance of this is in this thread, but the problem is actually that the G.711/729 codecs are designed for circuit switched networks, not packet switched networks, so they can't handle packet loss, which is rampant on a mobile network. They're designed to handle bit loss. This is why Skype works well over mobile broadband because it's using a codec that's designed for packet switched networks. It can also handle variable bit rates, which is also reasonably important.

Incidentally my Voda supplied (but unlocked) N95 runs Truphone which runs on the phones Native VOIP support and is imba as well as free to 40 countries and some mobile networks.

www.truphone.com

I can only use it on wifi (home of free hotspots) due to the punitive data transfer costs, but it works great and works great on 3G or HSDPA (I did a quick test call)

Inqui

Blaster99 wrote:
    I have no idea what the relevance of this is in this thread, but the problem is actually that the G.711/729 codecs are designed for circuit switched networks, not packet switched networks, so they can't handle packet loss, ....

Except Skype is proprietary and not SIP.
    G.711 used for Fax is extremely intolerant of packet loss :)

speex and iLBC are both adaptive and are designed for IP networks, better than G729. GSM codec is far worse than G.729 for coping with packet loss, which as long as you have at least 12kbps bandwidth will handle its 8k data rate. G.729 is standard for cable networks as they do not have big packet loss and they Gateway at edge of network (no Internet Peer to Per SIP).

There are really three distinct applications of VOIP, (1) The actual ISP does SIP VOIP and you have a number. No peer to peer.
    (2) 3rd Party VOIP provider or no VOIP provider. You can simply peer by IP address as long as you both use the same protocol & codec. It need not be SIP.
    (3) Proprietary service that is not SIP but needs an operator's server (Skype). Some apparently proprietary services really use SIP. Skype is either peer to peer, or using relay proxies depending on your firewall. For mobile the worry is that without a firewall, Skype could be using your handset/modem as a relay proxy for two other people that have firewalls. If you do have a firewall and don't forward the magic port number, then latency & packet loss is worse as Skype has to use a relay somewhere else.

Windows Messageing/MSN client can do SIP (if no firewall) and may be using SIP based VOIP for voice chat. Dunno.

This is the Internet, isn't it supposed to go off topic after a few days?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

watty wrote:
    Except Skype is proprietary and not SIP.
    True - but it does use iLBC (among others), doesn't it?

I have my Grandstream configured to use iLBC (to Blueface) as its first choice, and it works near-perfectly. I get a very occasional audible glitch over the course of a several-hour phone call. It's certainly a lot better than trying to make a Vodafone call in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

oscarBravo wrote:
    True - but it does use iLBC (among others), doesn't it?

I have my Grandstream configured to use iLBC (to Blueface) as its first choice, and it works near-perfectly. I get a very occasional audible glitch over the course of a several-hour phone call. It's certainly a lot better than trying to make a Vodafone call in my house.

:eek:

That's long-distance relationships for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

oscarBravo wrote:
    That's long-distance relationships for you. :D

Too True. If only I had VoIP 5 or 10 years ago. €300 to €400 a month I was racking up.

Man, Watty is right. This DOES go off topic every now and then. I'll resign myself to the naughty chair for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Lads, just get the ruler out, altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

oscarBravo wrote:
    I have my Grandstream

MY Grandstream ;-)

.brendan

bminish wrote:
    MY Grandstream ;-)
    I was waiting for that. :) Possession is nine tenths, innit. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rukkus

Meteor also let you add 10 GB of data for €30 a month, though they do not have a fast 3G network.

Interesting.. I emailed Meteor asking them about data packages a couple of months ago and got no response. Where can I find details of this offering? I've been ripped of by their almost 5euro/Mb for too long.

rukkus wrote:
    Interesting.. I emailed Meteor asking them about data packages a couple of months ago and got no response. Where can I find details of this offering? I've been ripped of by their almost 5euro/Mb for too long.

"In addition to the AUP, Meteor’s Unlimited Data Add-On is subject to further fair use conditions, which Meteor may rely on to withdraw or terminate the Service from a Customer. These fair use conditions are such that a Customer's usage of the Meteor Unlimited Data Add-On shall not exceed 10GBs over any month."

http://www.meteor.ie/billpay_data_tcs.html

You need to be on Talk 400 or higher or be a business customer to avail of it. It is €30 for 10GB.

I don't recommend emailing Meteor, you will get nowhere. Call them. If the agent does not know about it, ask to speak with someone else or call them again. It does exist, I know of people who are on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Inquitus wrote:
    Clarification Edit:

seriously http only ?
    surely they must allow ftp + https + pop + smtp too

overall which is the best provider for for light browsing / email usage ?
    and do you get a better signal with USB or Pcmcia + external antenna ?

out of curiousity what's the story with laptops with built in cards - are they usable yet ?

It is definitely HTTP only on 3Pay. There are apparently no ports blocked on bill pay, though. I guess it's another way for them to get people to sign a contract.

As far as laptops with built in HSDPA cards*, they have always been usable, it's just that they tend to be pricey. Personally I would just go for the USB modem as that is more flexible in that you can use it with any computer. I am using it with my MacBook Pro right now. Driving from Tuam to Limerick today, I had a constant HSDPA signal virtually all the way, and the connection did not drop once.

*Just to clarify, I am talking about integrated HSDPA here, which is usually in the form of an integrated antenna and miniPCI card, hence why I said "cards". I am not talking about PCMCIA or ExpressCard's.

I tried to setup a Microsoft VPN connection (can't remember the exact technical term now, not IPsec though) with my phone as a modem and I couldn't setup a connection. Or rather, it seemed to connect but couldn't authenticate. Same laptop but with Vodafone's 3G card, it works fine. This may be an inadvertent mistake on 3's part, they do make a few of them. When I get a chance I will test IPsec proper, which I guess is a more common form of VPN. (To pre-empt anymore anoraksia on this thread, I don't need to hear about the virtues of various VPN technologies)

Speeds are pretty crap, though. I'm getting about 160-200kbps and the latency seems to be much worse than I get with a proper 3G modem. Signal strength is good.

Your mobile is probably not HSDPA-capable, hence the disappointing speed. If it was HSDPA-enabled, you should see the same speeds that you get with a dedicated modem or card.

Sure, so I should see 384kbps, right?

You should see up to 384kbps. With a HSDPA capable handset, you should see up to 3.6Mbps, such as the Nokia N95 or E90.

The key here is "up to". It will depend on your signal strength and how many people are using it at the time (contention rate). Because of its mobile nature, contention may change, unlike cable or DSL, depending on how many people are connected to mobile broadband in your cell at the time.

The weasel phrase in both cases is up to
    I'm not suggesting Urban is a weasel. It's the marketing people in the phone companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If it wasn't for "up to", there'd be an awful lot less people connected to any form of broadband.

Advertisement