Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband USB Modems over Mobile Networks versus Data Costs on Mobiles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When novelty wears off the Mobile 3G/HSDPA market and level of subscribers is stable, then Mobile users will not see anything like 1/4 that speed. Fixed broadband users even at 48:1 contention will continue to see 75% to 90% of their package speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If I get somewhere between 512kbps and 1Mbps with a HSDPA modem (which I do), should I not be getting max speed in a non-HSDPA configuration? There's clearly bandwidth available in the cell.

I think it's the phone that's not capable of driving sufficient speeds or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

watty wrote:
    When novelty wears off the Mobile 3G/HSDPA market and level of subscribers is stable, then Mobile users will not see anything like 1/4 that speed. Fixed broadband users even at 48:1 contention will continue to see 75% to 90% of their package speed.

Which is why my advice has always been to get DSL, cable or fixed wireless instead, unless mobility is of value to you.

It's the same trade-off as when you buy a laptop instead of a desktop computer: you get mobility, but at some cost in terms of speed and price. In either case, you should ask yourself: do I consider the mobility of this device or service valuable to me?

That being said, currently HSDPA appears to be faster than entry level DSL or fixed wireless (don't know about cable), at least as far as speed is concerned, not latency. That is likely to remain the case until providers like eircom and digiweb double the speed of their entry level packages.

But again, ask yourself that question before going for mobile broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well its the only thing available in many rural areas like my parents where we don't have LOS to the only wireless operator in the area and eircom aren't enabling the exchange for years to come (its on the last list announced so I'm being optmistic at 5 years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

I agree that many in rural areas will benefit from 3G/HSDPA. I signed up to Three on Saturday, getting 200Kb - 400Kb on 1 bar of reception. I couldn't care less if it doesn't match the rates in Germany or Japan, for now I have a "good" connection. It took 18 minutes to D/L Skype (22MB) on Three, with Dialup that would have taken 3.5 Hours.
    In 12 Months time when my contact is finished with Three the BB market will have changed, I am convinced the Eircom will react to the Mobile providers, they have far more muscle and coordination than the FWA groups.
    Has anyone bought fringe antenna from "poynting" a South African company? They claim great things in their marketing blurb even a coupler for the E220 USB modem see http://www.poyntingdirect.co.za/custom.aspx?id=1
    See it started already I went from 56Kb to 250Kb and 3 days later I want more!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

In 12 Months time when my contact is finished with Three the BB market will have changed, I am convinced the Eircom will react to the Mobile providers, they have far more muscle and coordination than the FWA groups.
    There seems to be some evidence that this is happening over on the broadband forum. Eircom have always reacted fast to competition; trying to kill it off before it gets established to maintain their dominance. However, I don't think they have the ability to take on the mobile firms and will have to settle with being competitors with them.

What I don't think we'll see is Eircom pumping lots money into the rotting legacy copper last mile, replacing lines, etc. Instead, they will make more use of the copper they have and try to squeeze a bit more out of it. Previously they have been very conservative with line tests. In the future you will see, I believe, more people qualifying for DSL albeit at lower speeds. 512k may make a comeback. They will also try selling their own FWA product, although I think the install fee will have to come down significantly and the upload speed will need to improve.

Well within the first week of my father getting the 3 broadband trial, Ice Broadband had put a leaflet throught our letter box saying they now covered our area.

I had previously enquired about getting their service but they told me, we weren't in the coverage are and that was only a couple of months ago.

I'm guessing that we this mobile broadband might be the spark the Irish Broadband market needed especially 3's offering as they have very good coverage and at a very good price. Companies like Last Mile who offer 512KB/s down for 40 Euro a month with 40:1 contention are going to have to adjust their prices/speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Just to close this off, IPsec VPN works fine with a 3 phone as a modem.

Can I ask a final question?
    What is the most cost efficient way to share the 3 HSDPA connection? Vodaphone south Africa have nice page but no model numbers?? At least we know it is a Linksys box. http://www.vodacom.co.za/services/mobile_data/3g_hsdpa_router.jsp

The "three" store in Dundalk recokons any hub/router with a USB slot is OK but I am guessing that ignorance is blinding their judgement!

Perhaps I am just too suspicious nowadays!

brim4brim wrote:
    Companies like Last Mile who offer 512KB/s down for 40 Euro a month with 40:1 contention are going to have to adjust their prices/speeds.

Big problem with FWA in Ireland is many operators are using different equipment/protocols, which does not allow easy amalgamation/assimilation when one operator buys out another. Mobile operators are using existing sites (and technology) and can squeeze the existing customer base, long term I expect a big shake out in the FWA market (i.e. bankruptcies) unless bigger operators like digiweb make the leap ahead (4G).

It all comes back to economies of scale Adam Smith ABU (1750's)!!

BTW "3" HSDPA peaked at 900Kb today 1 bar reception for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can I ask a final question?
    What is the most cost efficient way to share the 3 HSDPA connection? Vodaphone south Africa have nice page but no model numbers?? At least we know it is a Linksys box. http://www.vodacom.co.za/services/mobile_data/3g_hsdpa_router.jsp

The "three" store in Dundalk recokons any hub/router with a USB slot is OK but I am guessing that ignorance is blinding their judgement!

Perhaps I am just too suspicious nowadays!
    How does it work?

This Router has a slot into which the Vodafone 3G Broadband Mobile Connect Card is inserted, and up to 5 PCs can be connected to the Router via WLAN or LAN cables, to allow all the users simultaneous access to the Internet. You can also connect a printer to the Router, and allow the users connected to the Router, access to the printer.
    Looks like a PCMCIA router rather than a USB one.

"In addition to the AUP, Meteor’s Unlimited Data Add-On is subject to further fair use conditions, which Meteor may rely on to withdraw or terminate the Service from a Customer. These fair use conditions are such that a Customer's usage of the Meteor Unlimited Data Add-On shall not exceed 10GBs over any month."

Now fair enough I don't work in advertising but how the hell is it not false advertising to say unlimited data but its limited to 10GB per month?

I can't believe companies are getting away with this crap. We must have no consumer protection at all in this country.

brim4brim, I agree with you, that is false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

There's a D-link DIR 451 router that takes a PCMCIA card and it also has a USB port which "seems" to take the USB modem - but their website doesn't mention this, I saw that on another forum where the U220 was listed as compatible.

Didn't want to open a new thread about this as I don't have hard evidence, however, 3 Ireland plan to do the following:

1. The have big plans regarding coverage. They want to have the entire country covered with 3G.
    2. They have big plans regarding speed increases, presumably this is upgrading their backhaul and rolling out 7.2 and 14.4 Mbps HSDPA as quickly as it is feasible to do so.
    3. An ExpressCard is coming soon, to replace the ageing PCMCIA card currently offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I presume o2 and Vodafone have the exact same plans, no?

There's going to be more pressure on 3 to get full 3G coverage, because every time you're out of 3G coverage, they have to pay Vodafone roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Right, but my point was more "so what" to 3's plans, there's nothing new or unexpected in there. If there was a timescale or something more than we plan to be the biggest and best type PR stuff, then you'd have a point.

Advertisement