Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

sister selling a car.. is she being scammed?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

basically, my sister put her car on autotrader and she got an email from somebody in the Uk. The guy says he is a canadian, living in england and his wife is english, living in Canada. She doesn't like the left hand drive cars, so he is buying her one and having it shipped over to her.

He wants to send my sister a bank draft to cover the cost of the car and the shipping, once she has the cash she will pay the shipping company that he has organised and she will keep the balance as payment.

maybe this is common procedure when buying cars online, I'm not really sure but there are a couple of things we have been worrying about

1) cars are cheaper in the uk, aren't they? Why doesn't he buy one over there

2) His english is absolutely terrible.. puts me in mind of one of the nigerian bank loan emails.

3) he keeps mentioning trust, and how much he has to trust her, how important trust is in a business transaction etc... while this is all true, it just strikes me as a bit dodgy that he keeps bringing it up

now, while this does strike me as a scam. it's possible the person who wants to buy my sisters car is just a bit daft, or his wife gets a stiffy for clio's. We're just not sure though.. because how do you scam someone by sending them a bank draft?

he seems pretty insistent that she won't have to give the car up until after the draft clears, he hasn't asked her for any bank account details, I'm just confused

here is a little bit from the emails
    Firstly am going to pay you an amount which is going to cover your asking for the car and the shipping cost as well as you already knew am responsible for the shipping bill.

So right now am going to instruct my business associate to send you a bankers draft issue by united kingdom bank base in total sum of £8,600 in your name and it's going to be post to you via postal mail which have all ready cover your asking price for the car and the shipping expenses as well.

As soon as you recieve the bankers draft all you needed to do make deposite into your bank account and when it CLEARED FULLY which will take few days to cleared fully into your bank account my bank advised .

Mind you am quite agree with you THE PAYMENT MUST FULLY CONFIRM CLEARED IN YOUR ACCOUNT FROM YOUR BANK before i can take full possession of the car which i belief you have no problem regarding to that and my shippingagent will sign the DVLA papers and all other necessary documents related to this car upon is arrival to your location on my behalf he has all the full details with him for the DVLA.

Sameday your bank as confirm the payment cleared you deduct your asking price first and the balance left you withdraw that in cash in hand after you must deducted your asking price for the car £4300 out of the total amount deposited.The funds left you take it to any nearby local western union agency arround you send it to my shippingagent.I shall provide you my shippingagent details where you are to transfer the cash balance immedailty the payment get to you.

I 'll giving you £300 for your efforts and western union charges out of the shippingagent money.

I want you to understand immediatly my shippingagent claim the balance from you same day the bankers draft clears is going to make use of the funds left to come down to your location for the pick up arrangements and to settle some shipping bills such as bill of lading,insurance and custom charges etc during the process of shipping and his coming down alongside with a mechanic who's going to assist the shipper to drive the car to a nearby sea port because my shippingagent is not perfect in driving.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Definitely a SCAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

the first 5 words told me SCAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Mordeth wrote:

maybe this is common procedure when buying cars online
    Yes, getting crap like this is common procedure when doing anything online:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

basically, my sister put her

first five words?

you are good

• Registered Users Posts: 45,746 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mordeth wrote:
    first five words?

you are good
    obviously ment last...
    any thoughts?
    Definitely a SCAM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://baheyeldin.com/technology/technology-in-society/craigslist-classified-for-used-car-cheque-fraud-scam.html

http://www.joewein.de/sw/fraud-car-buyer.htm

Just look at the grammar,syntax and punctuation in the mail he
    sent you, it's clearly a Nigerian bank draft scam as outlined in the
    links above.

He'll send you a draft and you'll lodge it in your bank.
    Then he'll change his mind and ask for you to send the
    cash back (may let you retain part for your bother).
    After you transfer the cash back your bank will tell you
    his draft/cheque has bounced or was stolen and the bank
    remove the original cash from your account. You'll never
    see the cash you 'refunded' him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nigeria calling? When these 419 guys learn to type english proper-like, they may be more successful.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

mordeth have a read here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055106793

lets ya see what way it works

scam all the way tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

No offence meant by this - but I find it scary that you or your sister could think this is genuine for even a split second.

*shrug*
    takes all sorts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Likewise, my wife's car is on Carzone and I got this e-mail. Didn't bother to reply
    Thanks for your response to my mails.

However, The car is needed in Ukraine for a movie purpose, The Engineer of the shipping company would be coming for inspection of the car before payment would be made for thecar.
    I will like to more about working condition of the car and last price of the car.

Kindly send me more pics of the car.

Thanks.
    Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Mordeth wrote:
    The guy says he is a canadian, living in england and his wife is english, living in Canada.

Thats enough to say scam...

Fr Dougal wrote:
    Likewise, my wife's car is on Carzone and I got this e-mail. Didn't bother to reply
    I meant to say, it's a 03 Citroen C3. I'm sure there hard to get and there's a huge demand for them on the movie scene in Ukraine :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lead the thieving feckers on!

kbannon wrote:

I like the way you're thinking. I'll send a reply tomorrow. ;)

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/72573-buying-scams-watch-out-2.html

my sister googled his email addy and found this, lol.

I just googled the one I got and found him on this blacklist.
    http://www.joewein.net/dbl-update/2006-08/2006-08-17.htm

onna compose a reply and lead him on tomorrow.

I'll keep ye posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Mordeth wrote:
    basically, my sister put her car on autotrader and she got an email from somebody in the Uk. The guy says he is a canadian, living in england and his wife is english, living in Canada. She doesn't like the left hand drive cars, so he is buying her one and having it shipped over to her.

He wants to send my sister a bank draft to cover the cost of the car and the shipping, once she has the cash she will pay the shipping company that he has organised and she will keep the balance as payment.

maybe this is common procedure when buying cars online, I'm not really sure but there are a couple of things we have been worrying about

1) cars are cheaper in the uk, aren't they? Why doesn't he buy one over there

2) His english is absolutely terrible.. puts me in mind of one of the nigerian bank loan emails.

3) he keeps mentioning trust, and how much he has to trust her, how important trust is in a business transaction etc... while this is all true, it just strikes me as a bit dodgy that he keeps bringing it up

now, while this does strike me as a scam. it's possible the person who wants to buy my sisters car is just a bit daft, or his wife gets a stiffy for clio's. We're just not sure though.. because how do you scam someone by sending them a bank draft?

he seems pretty insistent that she won't have to give the car up until after the draft clears, he hasn't asked her for any bank account details, I'm just confused

here is a little bit from the emails

any thoughts?

Scam, same thing happened to me kinda,
    was selling a digital camera in buy and sell cuple years ago.
    got email from guy calimed to be in holland,
    said he'd send a bank draft for more than the camera worth and
    to send the balance by western union to him as soon as cheque
    was lodged.
    knew it was a scam, the same type of english in the email, mispelt
    words etc..
    played along with it to see what the scam was, got the bank
    draft, actually looked real enough, he wanted me to send the camera and
    balance straight away but i waited 4 days or something for the draft
    to clear and guess what..... it didnt, the bank returned it with a big VOID
    across it!!

the post code from the letter i got from ur man with the bank draft in it was from Nigeria!! :D

I suppose some poor fools fall for it otherwise they would not be doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Nobody will ever import a car into their country from Ireland, the suggestion of it and level of thick idiot spelling in the emails usually points to this.

You should though be on the lookout for a UK based company who will call you saying they have a buyer in Ireland for your car and want €100 notes or thereabouts to pass you on the details, this is also a scam.

When selling a car nowadays I would only deal in cash, too much scams going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

As all the others have pointed out, this is a total scam. Don't reply, you will be deluged with shyte forever. But for a bit of fun, see

www.419eater.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

kbannon wrote:

...with a new anonymous email from which they can't extrapolate any info about you.

Ireland is second only to Amsterdam and the UK in terms of offshore Nigerian advance fee fraud activity, so the possibility of some shifty characters sitting outside your home in a beat up 92 Primera is a distinct, albeit slightly improbable possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Nobody will ever import a car into their country from Ireland,
    I don't think this is correct. I think some people from the Uk buy in Ireland as it's a little cheaper when vrt is not applied. However they do end up with a more basic spec.
    Only applies to new cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

A wonderful scambaiting opportunity.... :)

Get some hints from the 419 eater site...

Advertisement