Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressing Twins

Options
  • 02-07-2007 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering about dressing twins in exactly the same clothes. Is it a good or a bad Idea? Should they be dressed as indiviuals, or the same, like a team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Dress 'em separately to avoid scaring/unsettling Tchocky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Go for different, but let them dress the same some days if they ask.
    You'll get plenty of presents of matching clothes, so even if you buy all different, you'll have the option!
    We tend to buy clothes in similar colours - maybe 3 different tops and three different skirts/trousers that would all work together in any combination.

If you do dress them the same, make sure you can tell the difference at a distance with different shoes or something, 'cos they can get well annoyed if
    you call them by the wrong name at the wrong time.

Another thing to bear in mind is that dressing them a little differently can make it a lot less confusing for other kids trying to get to know them ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I actually saw a scene where mummy was dressed the same also. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

If one twin is a girl and the other a boy, it would probably best to dress them differently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Dress them differently and try to do their hair differently from day - let them be individuals from the beginning. I know it's difficult and they look cute dressed the same when young.

My nieces are identical twin girls and were dressed the same but in different colours from birth. Their hair was always the same etc.

They are now teenagers and still have same hairstyle etc - very hard for outsiders to tell apart and they themselves are now afraid to experminent like normal teenagers. They are too dependent on each other and too dependent on how the other dresses. They will not do their hair different - we try to encourage one to put theirs up or back in slides or something but neither will deviate from the other!!! I don't think that it's healthy for them in the long run. They need to establish their individuality in order to grow to be secure adults.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

my sister in law is so fussy about this her twins are boys age two. They totally have to match.... socks, vest ect. if one gets dirty they both get changed. they'er like two little dolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Woof

abi2007 wrote:
    my sister in law is so fussy about this her twins are boys age two. They totally have to match.... socks, vest ect. if one gets dirty they both get changed. they'er like two little dolls.

Thats just it, people who dress their kids the same treat them like dolls - not individuals! It's an attention seeking ploy......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Victor wrote:
    I actually saw a scene where mummy was dressed the same also. :eek:
    That caused me to giggle out loud:D

Dress them differently, so that other people can tell them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Differently definitely. We rarely dress our twins the same (3 year old girls) and most times that we do it's when visiting my folks - it's freaks my dad out cos he can't tell them apart :D We always have one thing different tho - sandals or something. But the vast majority of the time they are dressed differently. At the age they're at now it's not our choice anyway - they've already developed different tastes in clothes so they rarely want to be dressed the same or have their hair the same either.

We were very conscious from day 1 of treating them as separate people not as a single unit. And very few people gave us presents of identical outfits either which helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

As a twin (both girls, aged 23 now) I can tell you that there will be numerous occasions (which you have limited control over) when they will be treated as one unit.
    Examples:
    1) getting one birthday/christmas present between them. Although it may be a 'bigger' present than they would have gotten each its not worth it. We always ended up fighting over it and it being taken off us, so really its not worth the money spent.
    2) They will be refered to as 'The twins' not as 'Mary and Ann' as normal siblings would be refered to. I know its easier but please dont do this, my mam would shout out my siblings names and then twins, ie paddy, joe, sue, twins come in for your dinner. This resulted in everyone else following suit. At family occasions it was always (and still is) 'Oh, this is the twins now is it...'
    3) When being invited places ie friends houses, birthdays, etc. they will always be invited together. For example if one of them is friends with a girl, that girls parents will feel compelled to invite both twins to any parties they may have. I know this is just to ensure nobody is left out but it gets tiring after a while, the twin who's not friends with the girl will know its only a sympathy invite.

Overall its really important for them to be treated as the individuals they are. Its healthy for them to have different friends and not spend ALL their time together. Like others have said, I know twins who grew up in eachothers pockets and then went on to do the same course in college and now work in the same company purely because they're too afraid to try something on their own.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the replies here, it seems attitudes have changed since I was growing up. We were abit of a novelty to some people, but I must point out that it was the adults more so than the children. When children find out your twins they might ask a few questions and its forgotten about a few minutes later, but adults are the ones who will treat them differently because they're twins(sorry but thats just my experience).

At the end of the day some people will always treat them as a single unit and some people will always treat them as individuals. As long as you know that they're two completely different people then you'll be fine.

Good Luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

My cousin is getting married in august and my sister in law got matching outfits for her twins but not only that she also got one for my daughter. I said no way that i already had a dress for her. My sis in law very hurt and upset that they won't be dressed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

abi2007 wrote:
    My cousin is getting married in august and my sister in law got matching outfits for her twins but not only that she also got one for my daughter. I said no way that i already had a dress for her. My sis in law very hurt and upset that they won't be dressed the same.

lol, Thats unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I remember my twin girl cousins both wearing the same outfit for their confirmation. The girls are not identical and were almost never dressed the same. One went shopping with their mother and one went shopping with their aunt, on the same day, for confirmation outfits and it just happened that they picked the same. There was war between them for a couple of days but neither wanted to give in and change so they wore the same outfits on the day.

Advertisement