Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antrim: The Giants Causeway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

hehe! Nice one. Been up a few times and still haven't made it there. Waiting for better weather... Could be a while lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I've not been there in ages. The last time I was driving around there the exhaust fell of my car. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

backpacked throughout all of NorthofIreland when i was 21 on my own for what was initially 2weeks only to return home 3months later!

Went to the Giants Causeway amond every other official and non-official landmarks throughout my trip but the Giants Causeway stands out for a mile. Absolutely amazing view and setting...Would defo reccommend visiting to anyone heading that direction. The giftshop was overly-priced like all giftshops but WOW! When you're walking out on the steps and looking out over the water; you just don't feel the time going by at all. You just lose yourself. Fabulous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Don't forget the rope bridge a bit further along the coast.

yeah i was told to go to the carrick-a-rede bridge but it was just too far on the coast for me...friends of mine who had seen it though couldnt recommend it any more being honest...you wouldnt want to be afraid of heights :eek: lol

• Advertisement

Not a place for vertigo sufferers. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

the Giants Causeway has been known locally as the 8th wonder of the world for a long time. Now there's a chance it could be listed as one of the official 7 new wonders of the natural world.
    It's getting a bit of a buzz going around it so if anyone wants to vote for it there's a link [URL="http://www.myguideireland.com/the-giants-causeway]Giants Causeway"]on this giants causeway page[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I've been to both the causeway and the rope bridge and can highly reccomend both places, they are fantastic. I seen the rope bridge on the news the other night, there was a piece about it being restored, they hope to be finished shortly. Nest time I'm in North Antrim I want to visit the Bushmills distillery though!

Nest time I'm in North Antrim I want to visit the Bushmills distillery though!

yeah you pass that en route to the Giants Causeway and i meant to stop on the way back but was sorry later that i didnt...worth a return visit apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Hi all,

Would it be better to take a trip up yourself by car (from Dublin) and do it yourself or take one of those tours? have been looking around online for some tours and a few are a little pricey.

• Advertisement

I would go by car. More freedom and the distances aren't great.

Just remember to fill your tank before you cross the border. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

didn't get as far as the causeway last time i was there, never had the privledge of seeing it, but went over the rope bridge, fine as long as you dont look down for too long

AsianDub wrote: »
    Hi all,

Would it be better to take a trip up yourself by car (from Dublin) and do it yourself or take one of those tours? have been looking around online for some tours and a few are a little pricey.

when i went about 3years ago we used public transport all the times...forget your tours, overpriced and not good value for money! they buses and trains all run on time and are reasonably priced, well at least they were 3years ago anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

anyone know if the rope bridge is restored yet? heading up there at weekend and its one of the places i want to go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

when in that area do the Bushmills tour too. Good crack + a good opportunity for a whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Can anyone help me, I'm interested in going to see the giants causeway, coming from dundalk and I dont have a car/dont drive. whats the quickest and cheapest way of getting there and back?? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

you can get the train from dundalk to belfast, then the train from belfast to portrush.

then I think there is a bus to the causeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

you can get the train from dundalk to belfast, then the train from belfast to portrush.

then I think there is a bus to the causeway.

Translink do the open top bus out to the causeway. Great for viewing the coast line on the way out. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

smashey wrote: »
    Don't forget the rope bridge a bit further along the coast.

5.40 to be herded across a few bits of twine tied between two rocks does seem steep though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Daegerty wrote: »
    5.40 to be herded across a few bits of twine tied between two rocks does seem steep though.

WTF!! Is there a charge for crossing the rope bridge now? Dick Turpin at the very least had the courtesy to wear a mask when robbing the public.

The Giants Causeway "worth seeing, but not worth going to see"...IMO very true....beautiful coast tho...the Causeway way over rated

• Advertisement

WTF!! Is there a charge for crossing the rope bridge now? Dick Turpin at the very least had the courtesy to wear a mask when robbing the public.

The Giants Causeway "worth seeing, but not worth going to see"...IMO very true....beautiful coast tho...the Causeway way over rated

yes I went up there a couple of years ago and stayed in the Hostel nearby, a girl there went to it alright and she said it was fierce disappointing and the staff were rude to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

yes I went up there a couple of years ago and stayed in the Hostel nearby, a girl there went to it alright and she said it was fierce disappointing and the staff were rude to her

Shame about that, doesnt surprise me though:(...

IMO the "Giants Causeway" is one of the biggest con tricks on the planet. I'd love to know how many tourists who visit there actually return for another visit...very few I reckon..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Aw gorge mm i love the causeway go there like 90 times in the summer every year until i get sick to the bone teeth of looking at it?! Theres a restaurant and all beside it called the causeway we also go there all the time too good meals in there ...mother and father are never outta there people know our names now :rolleyes:. Also goto Ballintoy harbour its great, thats my favourite place in northern ireland i love it, theres a wee bakery and all , its really famous an all, apparently the best cakes around north antrim which i would agree with foods absolutely gorge.. definitely go there theres great a wee beach and all beside the bakery too where you can actually walk around the coast to ballycastle, it starts off in portrush i think if you ever do it goto portbalintrae thats gorge and then goto portbradden my mothers obsessed with that so it must be good, they have a wee church and all and apparently its irelands smallest church. Oh and btw if i was to be fair with you i would say not to goto rathlin its crap and the ferry is really small so theres very little room it takes forever to get there and when you get there, theres nothing to do except look at auld puffins which i'd suspect most of you would not waste your time getting a ferry to see... unless its changed and oh just to warn you the puffins are 7 miles away from the ferry on hard rotten roads:rolleyes::rolleyes: .... suppose if you like walking you could go but i would remember to take a watch because when we went we haddy run to the ferry in the pouring rain and got blisters and everything because everything was that far away was raging... after driving 20 miles and getting on a 40 minute ferry and walking 7 miles just to see stupid puffins in the pouring rain i was definitely not happy. Also if you get time goto cushendun and cushendall they are gorgeous aswell great views you can see kintrye which isn't far away 15 miles but on a really good day you can see as far as ayr which is about 60 miles away ... the drive is great aswell really good scenery defo recommend them two places aswell... More places lol.. i'd also say to head on down to the port its great down there lots of stuff to do when you are done i'd recommend you'd go down into morellies on the prom its great the best ice cream in north antrim although i would say its alot of money haha... heres their website it shows the expensive haha £10 for ice cream lol http://www.morellisofportstewart.co.uk/Home.aspx If your looking for a beach goto whitepark bay or whiterocks they a great except the weather needs to be good so i'd recommend summer because right now the water will be freezing infact a couple of weeks ago it was frozen solid and i'm not joking!?

£5.40 aye right i've never paid to go there they probably only charge you in the summer and the price even then is only £3 i fear they are rippen yous off.

anyone know if the rope bridge is restored yet? heading up there at weekend and its one of the places i want to go!!!

Yep its been restored centuries ago its all fine now you can go on it.

owenc wrote: »
    £5.40 aye right i've never paid to go there they probably only charge you in the summer and the price even then is only £3 i fear they are rippen yous off.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-carrickarede

never would pay that. the limerick tunnel is cheaper. if i want to go on it i'll have to borrow a National Thrust card off someone. Maybe next time I'm up a nice lass will lend me hers in return for a good thrust.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-carrickarede

never would pay that. the limerick tunnel is cheaper. if i want to go on it i'll have to borrow a National Thrust card off someone. Maybe next time I'm up a nice lass will lend me hers in return for a good thrust.

oh my good god £5 to walk across a rope bridge that is disgraceful! I'll naw be paying that!

owenc wrote: »
    oh my good god £5 to walk across a rope bridge that is disgraceful! I'll naw be paying that!

definitely not when it's likely you'll be shoed along by an impatient attendant if you dare stop in the middle for half a second or more.

is there much hope of getting in at night when the said attendant be gone home?

EDIT: Shyte it looks like I better bring a consaw for that plan to work http://v16.lscache2.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/21417873.jpg

definitely not when it's likely you'll be shoed along by an impatient attendant if you dare stop in the middle for half a second or more.

is there much hope of getting in at night when the said attendant be gone home?

EDIT: Shyte it looks like I better bring a consaw for that plan to work http://v16.lscache2.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/21417873.jpg

Nope there isn't they have a big concrete thing up so you canny get past the door and they have a big piece of wire over that so you canny climb over that! LOL :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

jimmmy wrote: »
    when in that area do the Bushmills tour too. Good crack + a good opportunity for a whisky.

At the risk of getting banned from this forum Bushmills is a cold and strange place. As a Catholic I really felt like they despised me because I came from the south. they were the worst at the actual distillery.
    at the Giants Causeway they were a lot friendlier.

Advertisement