Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When county becomes city.

Options
  • 03-07-2007 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone can explain this to me.. living in Caherdavin I am technically living in County Limerick yet practically all insurance companies will classify it as Limerick City - it was the same when I lived in Dooradoyle. Because of this county/city discrepancy my insurance premiums are more expensive..

How can insurance companies redraw the city boundaries like this to suit their own needs? Does any law exist to prevent such companies telling someone they fall within a city boundary when in actual fact they are outside the boundary?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Becuase they are looking at the reality of the situation for their premiums, you do live in the city, even if an outdated boundary somehow fictionalises that you live in the county. As such the risks you face are higher so your premium is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Well it would be crazy to classify those areas as county. Be honest with yourself now for a minute and see if you can compare Caherdavin to lets say Ballylanders. Its part of the city in all but name. The insurance companies can choose whatever criteria they like to calculate risk (as long as it isnt unsubstantiated discrimination) and they are justified in counting it as part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insurance companies probably relate higher risk of vandalism/crime with greater population density when assessing risk equations rather than going by city/county boundries. The same way insurance might be more expensive if living in Newcastle West than say Bruff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I'd imagine its more an urban/rural check more so then your exact address

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

outdated boundary somehow fictionalises that you live in the county.

When did it become outdated?

Anywho.. seems it's like that and that's the way it is.. wrt Ballylanders - can't say I've ever had the privilge of visiting there but surely it can't be as leafy as Caherdavin? :p

Thanks for the replies folks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ ballylanders, just about in cork
    for a town of its size it really has nothing going for it
    yawn vill

Advertisement