Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband problem, need help....possibly psychiatric

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey Everyone, New user here hoping to get some help with a broadband issue ive had for almost a year now. My connection keeps dropping, sometimes once or twice a day and other times i couldnt keep count. Ive only really noticed how bad it is since i set up xbox live. After approx 4000 phone calls, a technician called out and installed what i think is referred to as an adsl faceplate, similar to the one pictured below.
    adsl_faceplate.jpg

Every other phone in the house has been dissconnected (except the one connected to this faceplate) no skybox..etc, but have an alarm sytem which the technicians were made aware of & i presume has been filtered, However the problem remains. The second technician said its probably my computer even though my xbox 360 and PS3 also drop connection. He wanted me to try someone else's computer/laptop to see if the problem remains, lol. (Must have collected tokens from Corn Flakes boxes to get qualified)

In an attempt to discover the source of the problem myself i stumbled upon line attenuation and SN Margins. I believe that here is where my problem lies. From what ive discovered my figures are really bad.
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.00
    CRC Errors 3185 0
    (CRC errors collected since i restarted the connection 2.5 hours ago.)

My Connection performs as follows with a speedtest: (At 2am, lol)
    148898497.png

Additional details: Netopia 3347WG with latest firmware, Obviously from the attenuation figures i live a bit from the exchange, couldnt tell you exactly as im not sure where it is. Phone Wiring is well over 20 years old, 3rd Party Alarm system (with phonewatch) as mentioned, Phone line was broken directly outside my house some time back and was rejoined with some connector that looks like a 7up bottle.

Have read about a guy on the boards that rewired his house with cat 5 cable, new modem (just purchased a Netgear DG834N Rangemax modem which i havent tried yet) & a central splitter/filter (what ever that is!).
    He claimed it completly fixed his attenuation problem. Could it work for me?

I love the 3Meg broadband i have and wouldnt like to downscale if possible, does anyone have any suggestions or help they could provide. It would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind im a bit of a noobie with this lark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 paris

I'm having the same problem, but it has only started about 2 days ago. My connection is dropped every 10 minutes, almost exactly, repeatedly throughout the day. That's just today though - yesterday, it was dropping every 2 minutes! I have been on to Eircom and they couldn't offer any explanation - just said that they'd send an engineer out to have a look which could take up to 10 days.

I have only had broadband for 4 months as I was unable to get it until this year. It has been great - no problems at all, until the other day.

Anyone have any idea what might suddenly cause this to happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

swoonter wrote:
    In an attempt to discover the source of the problem myself i stumbled upon line attenuation and SN Margins. I believe that here is where my problem lies. From what ive discovered my figures are really bad.
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.00
    CRC Errors 3185 0
    (CRC errors collected since i restarted the connection 2.5 hours ago.)

My Connection performs as follows with a speedtest: (At 2am, lol)
    148898497.png

Additional details: Netopia 3347WG with latest firmware, Obviously from the attenuation figures i live a bit from the exchange, couldnt tell you exactly as im not sure where it is. Phone Wiring is well over 20 years old, 3rd Party Alarm system (with phonewatch) as mentioned, Phone line was broken directly outside my house some time back and was rejoined with some connector that looks like a 7up bottle.

Frankly there are still issues outside your house that need addressing,

Those stats are (optimistically) a 2mbit line and more like 1.5 than 2mbit but it would likely be quite stable with fewer crcs .

Can you maybe borrow another modem and cable to test with just in case and leave the internal wiring for the present as it only complicates things for now ( and it should be a matter of connecting 2 wires into the base of that faceplate in time )

Maybe if that wire outside disappeared one night, just like that :eek: it may have to be replaced properly <cough> instead of bodged.

Trucks are a curse I find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 swoonter

Thanks Guys, Ill try another modem sponge bob and see if there's any improvement. I rang a telecommunications croud today who are coming out to take a look at the situation, Id rather pay them than eircom. The second technician contradicted the first by saying that he'd made a mistake etc.. useless f****rs. Strange how they didnt make any mistakes when it came to charging me for the call out though.
    I had a 2mg line before the 3mg and it worked fine as best i can remember. In fact the 3mg line also worked great for a long time before this constant dissconnection happened. As ive said, some nights its fine (no dissconnects) and others make xbox live frustrating as hell.

Ill keep you updated with the situation when the 3rd party croud come and examine the situation.

thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've the exact same problem for the past month. Had an engineer out and sorted it.......for about a day and it's back the same.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

tell us how it goes , I would still think a downgrade to 2mbits will stabilise it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

I've had exactly the same problem, stable for a while, then continuous drops for a few minutes to a few hours, then stable again. I was also on 3MB with the same Line Attenuation approx, I requested a drop back to 2MB and since then no more line/synch drops.

Looking at my stat history I had 2-3 months of hundreds of connection drops, and now I just get a line disconnect (reset) about once every 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rgfuller wrote:
    I've had exactly the same problem, stable for a while, then continuous drops for a few minutes to a few hours, then stable again. I was also on 3MB with the same Line Attenuation approx, I requested a drop back to 2MB and since then no more line/synch drops.

Looking at my stat history I had 2-3 months of hundreds of connection drops, and now I just get a line disconnect (reset) about once every 2 weeks.

Unfortunately so many people on here won't take the advice to drop the speed as you did and live happily ever after:)

Advertisement