Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Turismo 5

Options
  • 03-07-2007 8:40am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so some more info has been released about the new GT game.
    The release of the highly-anticipated Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 could be pushed back as far as late 2008 says director Kaunori Yamauchi, who wants the game to be absolutely perfect before it's released.

Speaking with US-based Car and Drive magazine (via Gamers-Creed), Yamauchi touted spring 2008 as the earliest that the game could see release, but affirmed that Sony is more than willing to push that date back to the end of the year should his team need more time.

Yamauchi made reference to the cars as being one of the key time-consuming aspects of developing the game. It's taking 180 days for someone to build a car in the levels of detail required for GT5, as oppose to 30 days for GT3 and just one day for the original GT on PSone.

Crash damage has also once again been ruled out, Yamauchi saying that some companies don't want their cars smashed up in the game (despite damage featuring on the licensed cars of PGR, Forza and other games).

He also says adding the perfect damage system would mean changing the physics model of the game, and modelling each panel of every car separately, both normal and crumpled, with different lighting and shadows. Again, if other games can do it, why can't GT? They're not exactly short of time.

He did say, however, that crash damage could possibly be delivered as a post-release download, and that downloadable cars were a certainty.

Meanwhile, you'll have to make do with the minimalist offerings provided in GT HD for another year or more.

How can "the most realistic driving expierence" not have damage moddelling? I mean its in Forza and other games, so why not GT? I personally think this is a massive failling of the GT series. And 180 days to model one car...surely that can't be right (or practical).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't get how they can say that they might add damage in a download. Surely it has to be built into the game, you can't just add/replace a few files and suddenly change the physics of a game, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAACER!!!
    ...oh wait...

Haha, I can't wait to tell my dad's friend; he was sure it was coming this Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The interview these details are taken from is quite old. The magazine is new, but the interview was conducted over 3 months ago apparently. In newer interviews, Polyphony has said that there will be damage modelling for racer and rally cars.

The game was always suggested for 2008. There's an ANCIENT interview where the head guy at Polyphony said he was hoping they could get the game out for 07, but it was never announced as such.

Apparently, however, GT5 Prologue is scheduled for November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

re damage, its a question of do you want damage in a game with half the cars, or all the cars & no damage. Many auto co's don't want damage applied to their cars in games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

heggie wrote:
    Many auto co's don't want damage applied to their cars in games
    Forza 1 & 2, Project Gotham 1- 3 and Midtown Madness 1-3 all managed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Damage doesnt bother me none, :rolleyes:

Not that i dont crash, but not so spectacurlaly as to do such damage to it

Plus....who wants to be doing an endurance race..2 hours, and then crash and mess up your car...i'd throw the disc out the window tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pokemon with cars!

Car damage would ruin Gran Turismo. It can be hard enough saving up for ages to get the car you want or tuning up the cars you have without having to pay to fix the cars you crash. The damage might look cool but would it be any fun if it was implemented?

Car damage would ruin Gran Turismo. It can be hard enough saving up for ages to get the car you want or tuning up the cars you have without having to pay to fix the cars you crash. The damage might look cool but would it be any fun if it was implemented?
    Doesn't cause any trouble in Forza, only adds to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm really getting pissed with them, the first GT was a brilliant game for it's time! so was GT2, super!, GT3, looks great! same physics, GT4, looks even better the same features, excuse me can you add something new please? skidmarks?

On PS3 it's going to be really hard to swallow GT5 if it doesn't have damage model, or even skidmarks ffs, come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They just don't want to model damage physics. Lazy bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I always wanted damage in Gran Turismo, then I played Forza and saw how it swapped out an undamaged mesh for a damaged one on whatever bit of the car hit something, and had no real effect on gameplay, and wondered what the point was.

Gran Turismo is getting stale, but I'll take better AI and more cars on track before I'll be worried about damage. TOCA Race Driver got it right, when you have 20+ closely matched cars with solid aggressive drivers in them suddenly damage starts to mean something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

steviec wrote:
    I always wanted damage in Gran Turismo, then I played Forza and saw how it swapped out an undamaged mesh for a damaged one on whatever bit of the car hit something, and had no real effect on gameplay, and wondered what the point was.

Gran Turismo is getting stale, but I'll take better AI and more cars on track before I'll be worried about damage. TOCA Race Driver got it right, when you have 20+ closely matched cars with solid aggressive drivers in them suddenly damage starts to mean something.
    when you car is struggling to accelerate, while veering to the left when it does.... you know you have damaged something on your car.

steviec wrote:
    You have it set to simulation? Run into a wall, into the back of someone or change down to early and you will certainly see an effect on gameplay.

If you're running straight into walls like that then you've already lost the race, limping around afterwards doesn't make it more enjoyable. Seems to be a very overblown feature to me. It's far more effective in TOCA and in single seater racers where the slightest touch can end your race.

steviec wrote:
    If you're running straight into walls like that then you've already lost the race, limping around afterwards doesn't make it more enjoyable. Seems to be a very overblown feature to me. It's far more effective in TOCA and in single seater racers where the slightest touch can end your race.
    Its very easy on some tracks to clip a wall and still be in the running, you don't have to go straight into them and running into someone else is even easier and potentially just as damaging. Can't see how you can see it as a good thing in TOCA and pointless in Forza just because the cars are a little more robust.

I see it as a good thing in TOCA because there are 20 or more very fast and aggressive drivers barging into you in the corners. When you have a small number of cars with pretty basic AI, as you do in Gran Turismo in particular and to a lesser extent in Forza, damage isn't the top priority in my opinion because there just isn't that much to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hah. Thats pathetic. Its done really well in Forza with tonnes of licensed cars so that excuse doesn't really hold up. It really takes away from the realism when you crash and there isn't a scratch on the car.

CyberGhost wrote:
    I'm really getting pissed with them, the first GT was a brilliant game for it's time! so was GT2, super!, GT3, looks great! same physics, GT4, looks even better the same features, excuse me can you add something new please?

While nothing is confirmed until it's in the game, they've spoken a fair bit about additions and improvements in physics, AI, online, community, (and yeah, damage) that they're planning among other things.

The issue of damage still seems to be up in the air. The problem with car companies seems to be mostly restricted to production models, not racing and rally cars. I don't know how many issues other games had and/or if they were just dealing with the latter type of cars or not. Hopefully they'll include it for those cars that they can, and they get it up the standard they want.

By the way, there's a pretty cracking video of GT HD, a new Le Mans circuit, here: http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video-exclu-3-le-mans-video-39264.html Whatever about anything else, they certainly seem to be getting the looks down just right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

The only thing that I want different in the new game is bring back racing decals , they just always completed a tuned car for me in the earlier games.

And definately a NO to damage . Theres people here saying it takes away the realism and compare it to other games but at the end of the day none of them games come close to have the driving engine that GT has and will never have the same levels of realism where it matters despite how much you can deform your and damage your car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

the point with car companies is that this game touts itself as the most realistic driving experience around, and is always heralded as having the best car models in a game when it gets released.

it's the top dog, and when gt5 comes out it'll probably outsell PGR and forza by some factor.

so, if you're mr.ford, you don't want such a huge audience seeing such a realistic version of your car being smashed up in such realistic fashion, because if the damage model is slightly off and/or scary to potential customers, you could have problems selling your cars in future.

forza et al developed damage models that big companies could agree on. GT5 was developing particle physics engines....

none of them games come close to have the driving engine that GT has and will never have the same levels of realism where it matters despite how much you can deform your and damage your car
    LOL

You're kidding right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

The damage thing is a bit of a red herring...at the higher ends of motor racing (Open wheel/Le Mans/Oval) in reality, if a car is damaged that's race over.

if you want to see somersaulted cars and debris everywhere, play burnout or one of them god-awful things.

I'd much rather see them implement sophisticated AI and an online function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Yeah but you can just bumper car your way through the pack and take all sorts of lines that pinball you off crash barriers etc..

If they want realism they should at least have an option for a damage system, the higher the skill setting the more 'realistic' the damage ranging from slight to real world (terminal)

This suits everyone no?

If you wanna play bumper cars or you want a hyper realistic race where the slightest knock could put u out of the race.. it should be there..

If its an option, then everyone is happy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

so, if you're mr.ford, you don't want such a huge audience seeing such a realistic version of your car being smashed up in such realistic fashion, because if the damage model is slightly off and/or scary to potential customers, you could have problems selling your cars in future.

im sorry but that is a load of bollocks, its a bad excuse that has been used as far back as GT1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    im sorry but that is a load of bollocks, its a bad excuse that has been used as far back as GT1

iirc someone from ford actually gave that as a reason at some big fancy press showing for the focus (back when it was being launched)... hence why i tout it :D

iirc someone from ford actually gave that as a reason at some big fancy press showing for the focus (back when it was being launched)... hence why i tout it :D
    In a interview with Turn 10 they said that it was a myth that company's don't let there cars get damaged ingame. What they have trouble with is some thing that would put a driver at risk which is why you can never flip cars, set them on fire or cause damage to the passenger cell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

personally i would like to see damage in GT5, i think it would make it a lot more realistic by making you look after the car and not crash. I have all the gran turismo's and have been a fan since i was a kid and what i used to do was follow a pack of cars into a turn, dive down the inside and skip a load of cars then hit into one of the front ones to slow me down and point me in the right direction. if there was damage it this game then i you wouldnt be able to do that and you would actually have a real sense of care for the car, especially if its in an important race or an endurance race etc.,
    the GT4 way of avoiding this was a joke, you hit someone and then the car gets slow for 5 seconds or whatever., thats not relaism,.,
    dmamge is one of the things i liked about the original forza, and the new one even more.
    the bottom line is, these games are about realism. you cant crash at 100mph and not even scratch the car so there for it isnt realistic. it you want that kind of game then i think its need for speed that your looking for.

Some new screens and video from the Leipzig Games Convention. Prologue will be out in November here in Europe (October in Japan), with 5 tracks and 50 cars. Up to 16 people can race online. The tracks appear to be London, Suzuka, Eiger Nordwand, Fuji and Circuit de la Sarthe. Racing is confirmed to be 1080p/60fps.

Some shots..

p18a.jpg

4yyykav.jpg

23322493194.jpg

1316_0009.jpg

gran-turismo-5-prologue-20070822012051271.jpg

New trailer:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4848_en.html

Some gameplay footage (in-car view - pretty amazing!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmmh9BT7iok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

LookingFor wrote:
    Some new screens and video from the Leipzig Games Convention. Prologue will be out in November here in Europe (October in Japan), with 5 tracks and 50 cars. Up to 16 people can race online. The tracks appear to be London, Suzuka, Eiger Nordwand, Fuji and Circuit de la Sarthe. Racing is confirmed to be 1080p/60fps.

Some shots..

p18a.jpg

New trailer:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4848_en.html

Some gameplay footage (in-car view - pretty amazing!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmmh9BT7iok

That Audi is beyond amazing!!! Model of it looks fantastic too I must say!!!

The youtube video is bollox. I'm sorry, but after Forza it pains me to watch footage of (Graphically amazing) bumper cars. The amount of times the driver bumbs into the cars ahead of him entering an apex is pathetic and is symptomatic of why this game needs damage to live up to it's "Real Drive Simulator" monikor. Slowing the car for 5 seconds is bull!!!

Advertisement