Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Log book query??

Options
  • 03-07-2007 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

hi Guys,

Im currently looing at buying a 92 honda civic ESI. Having looked at the motor a few days ago, the owner showed me the log book for the car.

To my shock it ws the real old type log book, pink with the previous owners written in by hand and then stamped with a date.

Looked like something from the stone age! my question is how do i go about getting a proper log book if i buy the car? (i.e. the new type vehicle lisensing cert)

The guy selling it said i will have to fill out a RF100 or something to declare the sale and include the pink book aswell. ?? and then il get sent a proper cert?

Anybody know what i should do? Any adivse or comments appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

You don't need to do anything with it. All cars older than a certain date (I think it's 1 Jan '93) have the old handwritten log book. It's still processed by the DELG in the old way, and it needs a different form to the RF100...

Actually, just look here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/change_of_ownership

Before 1st January 93 cars can be registered to a new owner by filling in an RF200 form and just bringing that and the log book to your tax office. I don't think there's a need to send it off... You'll still have the old form of log book but it's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BJ2007

You don't need to do anything with it. All cars older than a certain date (I think it's 1 Jan '93) have the old handwritten log book. It's still processed by the DELG in the old way, and it needs a different form to the RF100...

Actually, just look here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/change_of_ownership

Before 1st January 93 cars can be registered to a new owner by filling in an RF200 form and just bringing that and the log book to your tax office. I don't think there's a need to send it off... You'll still have the old form of log book but it's nothing to worry about.

cheers for that daedalus2097, yes so i just bring it to the ballymun tax office with a completed RF200. thats that sorted.

So if the transfer of ownership is done in the tax office while im there, does that mean that I could tax it on the same day while im at the tax office?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - From your point of view, that's a good thing. It means the owner has had the car from new or nearly new. People who keep their cars for that long generally take good care of them.

Anan1 wrote:
    OP - From your point of view, that's a good thing. It means the owner has had the car from new or nearly new. People who keep their cars for that long generally take good care of them.

duno about that, there are 6 previous owners on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

BJ2007 wrote:
    cheers for that daedalus2097, yes so i just bring it to the ballymun tax office with a completed RF200. thats that sorted.

So if the transfer of ownership is done in the tax office while im there, does that mean that I could tax it on the same day while im at the tax office?
    Yes you can tax and transfer ownership on the same day. Ahhh the good aul days. It's such a pain having to wait for the VRLC to come through before you can tax a car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BJ2007 wrote:
    duno about that, there are 6 previous owners on it!
    That's weird, I would have thought any change of ownership since the vLC system came in would have resulted in a VLC being issued as a replacement for the old logbook.

Anan1 wrote:
    That's weird, I would have thought any change of ownership since the vLC system came in would have resulted in a VLC being issued as a replacement for the old logbook.

me too but i read that it will remain the same old pink log book forever.:( ah well at least it makes things easier plus ya get to see who all the previous owners were.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes you can tax and transfer ownership on the same day. Ahhh the good aul days. It's such a pain having to wait for the VRLC to come through before you can tax a car!!

......you still can do that ! There is no difference, the old way you needed the logbook, transfer form and tax renewal notice, but would the old owner be prepared to go in and process it, or would he trust the new owner to do it. Normally only garages did it this way.

Its exacly the same with the new set up.
    me too but i read that it will remain the same old pink log book forever. ah well at least it makes things easier plus ya get to see who all the previous owners were.

............I'm not sure what the rule is here. once i went in with an older book and retaxed it recieving the old book back, when it went by post the following year I got back a new VLC instead a few weeks later !

MercMad wrote:
    ......you still can do that ! There is no difference, the old way you needed the logbook, transfer form and tax renewal notice, but would the old owner be prepared to go in and process it, or would he trust the new owner to do it. Normally only garages did it this way.

Its exacly the same with the new set up.

The new set up, you've to wait for the VLR Cert to come back from the Dept of the Environ, noting you as the new owner, before you can tax the car.

No you dont, you take it into the tax centre and they process it there and then, hand you the new disc and then you recieve the VLC in your name a few weeks later.

Its the same !

The old way, when you handed them the log book............they kept it and posted it back out to you a few weeks later !

The problem is actually obtaining the VLC from the previous owner. Not many people like handing over everything, when they are normally supposed to take care of posting it themselves. Previously the concern was similar regarding handing over the logbook!

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote:
    No you dont, you take it into the tax centre and they process it there and then, hand you the new disc and then you recieve the VLC in your name a few weeks later.

I couldn't do that when I bought my current car in February. I thought you could but the tax office said no... The best I could do was to ring up the DELG after a few days and see if they'd processed mine yet. Once they had it would be on the computer in the tax office and I could tax it then, before the VLC arrived back in the post a few days later.

I couldn't do that when I bought my current car in February. I thought you could but the tax office said no... The best I could do was to ring up the DELG after a few days and see if they'd processed mine yet. Once they had it would be on the computer in the tax office and I could tax it then, before the VLC arrived back in the post a few days later.

......but what paperwork did you have with you ??

I did it exactly this way 2 months ago !

MercMad wrote:

Its the same !
    No it's not. I bought a second hand car only two weeks ago, and a second hand car two years ago, you don't get the new VLR Cert from the dealer any more. Same with my OH. The dealer sends the old Cert away to be changed and it comes back to your address and then you go and tax your car. You cannot change ownership and tax on the same day any more.

Actually that's a handy tip! I might give them a call (or given JJ's difficulties in another thread, maybe I'll e-mail them!) and see if I can tax it yet. Thank you!

well lads, have a big update on this.

I bought the car yesterday in the end.

So it turned out the everything CAN be done in the one day.

firstly i got the old pink log book.
    then filled in a RF200
    went to ballymun tax office (queued for about a hour)
    i gave the person at the counter all the forms and they changed the ownership first.
    then taxed it for me and gave me a receipt for a new log book to be issued.

Also the funny thing is they are issuing me with a brand new old fashioned pink log book:D haha i laughed when she told me this.

So il show as the only owner on the book.

So to clarify you can buy a pre 93 car, tax it and change the ownership into your name all in 1 afternoon.

So its much better than waiting weeks for shannon to send you a vehicle lisencing cert.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Based on daily dealings with various different tax offices, there is not set process for anything. What can be and can't be done very much depends on who you speak to.

BJ2007 wrote:
    well lads, have a big update on this.

I bought the car yesterday in the end.

So it turned out the everything CAN be done in the one day.
    So il show as the only owner on the book.

So to clarify you can buy a pre 93 car, tax it and change the ownership into your name all in 1 afternoon.

So its much better than waiting weeks for shannon to send you a vehicle lisencing cert.;)
    Nice one!! I got onto the tax office about my VLR Cert and they've fast tracked it for me, God Bless'm. Seems like it's a good week for motor tax!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

When I bought a car last year I was able to tax it before the VLRC came out to me, think I had to ring Shannon about it.

MercMad wrote:
    ......but what paperwork did you have with you ??

I did it exactly this way 2 months ago !

Nothing, had the tax renewal form filled out and then just said I'd been onto the Shannon office and to check on the computer. Then the girl did just that, 20 seconds of searching, and she said "Oh, I see, well that's no problem then!"

I had gone in before and a different woman had said that it hadn't been processed by Shannon, but to ring them and come back when it's processed. No need to wait on the VLC to come back - and if I hadn't sent it to Shannon she could have done it there and then!! Like someone else said, seems to be more to do with who you deal with, but I also understand that some tax offices don't have certain powers and have to send everything off to a greater office for processing. I was in Bray and it's a fairly major one...

Advertisement