Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recreation in North Tipp

Options
  • 03-07-2007 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Michael Lowry says that the swimming pool in Roscrea is really going to happen - and there is going to be a lesiure centre attached to it.

It looks like the outdoor pool in Templemore is going to close - following the demolition of the handball alley some time ago.

There has been a lot of work done on the athletics track in Templemore.

Is it time for a regional sports cenre in North Tipp, like the RSC in Waterford?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Are people in North Tipp really that far from the Arena in UL? Obviously local things like swimming pools etc should be built but is there the need for a large sports complex when UL's one is pretty much just over the Tipp border?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

It's over an hour from where I live to Limerick and with three kids its not that attractive and option. There has been a bit of a population explosion in the Templemore/Roscrea/Templetouhy area and soon the local schools are going to need expansion. For example, out national school is in no way capable of handling the kids coming through in the area and we're lucky to use the local hall for dancing classes and the like but the county needs its own facilities - as should South Tipp, Offaly and Laois.

When the Department of Health starts noting obesity statistics in children starting to rise they might want to wonder what the minister for sport is doing to build leisure centres to counter it. They can do it in Northern Ireland, why not here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

when will the pool in thurles be finished?? Is there a gym included?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's a pity the outdoor pool is going, we used to have lots of fun there as kids, when we went to visit the cousins "up the North"! *cue nostalgic moment*

Amazo, there are few places in North Tipp that would be convenient for UL!

OP: What's the story with the pool in Nenagh? Weren't they doing it up recently, or is that all in my head? Yet another nostalgic childhood event was a visit to the pool in Nenagh, followed by a trip into O'Connors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Is there anywhere to go quad biking??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

No professional amenity for quad biking that im aware of, but North Tipperary is mainly countryside. Also great for motocross, but again same deal, there's nothing really formally organised like a club or whatever. So buy a bike/ quad and if you dont have acccess to suitable land, befriend a farmer who doesn't give a damn about his land!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

N Tipp is a recreational wasteground outside hurling and golf, no decent cinemas, swimming pools etc but plenty of pubs full of drunken teenagers!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Skydive Ireland

Just thought you all might like to know that North Tipperary is home to Skydive Ireland. We are located near the Silvermines/Keeper Hill and we bring people on Tandem Skydives and we also teach people how to become certified Solo Skydivers.

North Tipperary is a beautiful landscape and a great place for outdoor activities with Lough Derg being the largest lake on the Shannon.

So if you would like to see North Tipperary from the Ai at 10,000ft while freefalling at 200km/h visit our website: www.skydiveireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Been there, very nice place great day out when I did it, but dont spam please...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

there is a swimming pool and new public gym in birr which is not too far from roscrea, turn right at the bridge just past the hurling field. pool is not v big but the gym is new and both are very reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

watsgone wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to go quad biking??

A guy I know is re-opening the go cart track in dunkerrin/moneygall and is hoping to have quad facilities there also, if he does Ill let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

pred racer wrote: »
    A guy I know is re-opening the go cart track in dunkerrinquote]

When's that due to happen....i've herd plenty of rumours since it closed down....no sign of anything happening there yet......do you know are all the carts still there??

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I see this thread is very old, but ...
    Folks, is this open ? If it is, is it outdoors or indoors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Connacht wrote: »
    I see this thread is very old, but ...
    Folks, is this open ? If it is, is it outdoors or indoors ?

thats gone a while, was turned into a hotrod track and think thats gone now too, the lads that had the kart track opened in limerick city doing well too i think

Advertisement