Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

After joining this forum when it started, i expected that in the MS cert area that the questions relating to certification would be 70-30 Networks to Development.

Looking back, there seems to be very few developers looking to get certified. Is it a case that devs dont see the need to get the cert or that admins nearly require it to get a job. Or is it that just the devs are lazy or the admins have enough free time to get the training and study in :D

I know the numbers of MCAD/MCSD/MCPD level qualifications added together wont even make up the number of MCSE's out there let alone MCSAs.

So whats the deal. What are your thoughts on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Most people I know in Development have Computer Science degrees, and thats all thats required of them to do get and keep their jobs.

I did meet someone recently in his late 30s who had been out of work for a while who did .net & c# exams as he felt he it would help him be taken more seriously in the job market. He did get a development job.

The helpdesk, network and sys admin people I know have a more mixed educational background, so we end up on the certification and re-certification circuit. Plus a lot of those type of jobs are advertised as required a particular cert, e.g. MCSE or CCNA, etc. I think training is always important for any IT job but I get very cynical about the money involved in certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Yeah while there may not be devs in every company there sure are usually admins when there is a network present.

It seems that any networking position people want an MCSA/CCNA/SOC*

Possibly as you say because of the number of people with them. Same I would say for devs nearly always requiring a uni degree for work in most dev houses..

Just never thought the numbers would be so far apart

*Some other cert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

There are more admins than developers and yes the MCSE is pretty much a requirement these days - something the sheer amount of available ones has helped to make standard (albeit many not worth the paper when the emphasis is on the letters on your resume and not the experience/knowledge).

Advertisement