Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Long Weekend in Kerry

Options
  • 03-07-2007 10:46am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm bringing my bloke to see Kerry as he's never been. It's been at least 15 years since I was there myself, so I have a few questions:

We'll be arriving on friday night in Dingle and are hoping to stay in Doyles, I believe they have a lovely restaurant, is it as good as they say?

I also wish to go see the megalithic sights in the area and am wondering how long it will take to do the following:
    Caher Conor, Glanfahan and Fahan.
    Colaiste Ide, ogham stones
    Dunbeg, Stone Fort
    Gallarus
    Kilmalkedar
    Ballyferriter, Reask
    Will all of the above take a day or just half a day?

Same question for the Ring of Kerry, would it be better to spend a day on that too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Id say spend a day on those sites in the Dingle area, there is a bit of travelling involved to get from one spot to another. It might not take a full day but I'd say you will end up spending more time in some of those spots like Gallarus and Kilmalkedar (one of my fav spots, good few photos on my flickr (link in sig) if you havent been and want to know what to expect), esp if you get stuck in one of their famous windows ;) hehe. While you are down that way, you could checkout the BeeHive huts and things like that as well.

The Ring of Kerry, the amount of time you dedicate to that will largely depend on the weather, and what you want to see. Some people like heading down to Daniel O'Connell's home while they are down in the Waterville area, but then others aren't that interested in the history and more the scenery, it all depends on what you would like to get out of the trip.

Personally, if time was limited I would give more time to the Dingle region, out the Gaeltacht areas than the Ring. If you have good weather the Ring has great scenery but if the weather is crap you might be disappointed.

Killarney/Kenmare regions are worth a visit too. Sorry Im just adding to the mix now, so many places to go :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thanks 440Hz,
    Your comments have helped a lot, so it's off to Dingle friday night, spend the day going around all those sites, stay in Dingle on Sat night, head off round the ring of kerry on sunday and spend the night in Killarney.

Have you been to Doyles restaurant? Any pubs you'd recommend in Dingle?

I've just taken a look at your pics btw, they are fantastic.
    As I am not familiar with the names, are the following part of the sights I mentioned?
    Ballyheigue Castle
    Ratoo Round Tower

Beruthiel wrote:
    Ballyheigue Castle
    Ratoo Round Tower

They'd be a bit off the track you are heading on. Cheers for checking out the shots and the comment... I'll tell ya what, when I get a chance later I'll do what I have been meaning to do for ages and finish off adding those Kerry shots to the Flickr map so you will be able to get a good idea of where they are from there. I'll update you later when I have added them and you can check out the map then :)

Beruthiel wrote:

Have you been to Doyles restaurant? Any pubs you'd recommend in Dingle?

I usually dont eat in Dingle town, when I head back that way I usually head off towards Clahane which is in the Brandon direction, and I save my eating stop for there. There are a load of places which I have heard are great in Dingle though, depends on a) budget b) whether you are after seafood or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Yeah Kenmare is one of the nicest spots to go, but you could head there from Killarney, the scenic route, where the Rally Of the Lakes goes.

Anyhoo... my flickr map was in a better state than I thought it was http://www.flickr.com/photos/click_click/map/ if you just click the little blues dots you will see where the photos I have up were taken, so placing places like Kilmalkedar and Rattoo in relation to each other should be easier.

daveirl wrote:

Is that because of the sites or just the actual town is a nicer place to spend an evening?

The sites mostly. Kenmare is a small town but it has a lovely atmosphere and great places to eat (on the upper end of the dining out budget though).

Personally I think Killarney is a bit overrated, the touristy things are on the outskirts and the town itself, while being very nice, is not much different to any town in Ireland. There are some nice places to stay and eat though, so you could use Killarney as your base and head off to places like Kenmare and further out during the day. Even make it to Jackie Healy-Rae country ;)

• Advertisement

Ok
    You've convinced me, if I pick Kenmare, where do I stay and eat out? Am happy to go middle to top endish....

My bloke is french, so I'm trying to show him the wild part of ireland (not that easy these days)

Who would have thought it!! http://www.kenmare.com/ lol Modern technology eh!!

Kenmare in Irish is called An Neidín (Little Nest) cos its sitting in a cosy little spot :D

Shelburne Lodge looks nice....
    Do you know if it's within walking distance of the town?
    It's website doesn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When driving to Dingle, go via Connor Pass - fantastic view as you come down the mountain.

biko wrote:
    When driving to Dingle, go via Connor Pass - fantastic view as you come down the mountain.

Yeah thats what I was saying! From Tralee going back to Dingle take the Pass, on the way back take the main road, that way you dont have to worry about falling off ;)

They have seriously improved the Pass in the last 12 months or so, widened parts that they could etc. Oh and its mandatory to stop at the 'waterfall' on your way over hehe

daveirl wrote:

Would that be a 10 minute drunken crawl, or brisk walk....?
    I'll be doing the former
    biko wrote:

biko, 440Hz has already PMed me the driving directions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Beruthiel wrote:
    Ok
    You've convinced me, if I pick Kenmare, where do I stay and eat out? Am happy to go middle to top endish....

My bloke is french, so I'm trying to show him the wild part of ireland (not that easy these days)
    We stayed in Kenmare a couple of years back and had an excellent meal in Micky Neds.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

I live here in Dingle, you'll have a great time I'm sure. There's a local guide that will help you out with a tour of the sites:

Scuird Archaelogical Tour
    Contact No. 066 9151606
    Guided Minibus tours visiting a number of archaeological sites on the Western part of the peninsula. Tours last approx 2 hours. Prices from €20 euro per person.

Doyles is a good restaurant, but there are many so take a walk around the town and look at the menus. Fentons Seafood on Green street does a very good early bird menu with plenty to choose from! Enjoy your stay, hope the mist goes before you get here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement