Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Names

Options
  • 03-07-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had to come up with a name for their new house?

I'm wondering if others are or were in the same position as I am right now.
    The foundations are finally going in this week after almost two years of planning/frustration and while it is located in a known townland, I'll need to find a name to differentiate it from other houses in the area.

Current fave is "Ard na Domhain" which others tell me is not quite "On top of the World" but can be interpreted as such - it's how I feel after finally getting to this stage ;)

Anyway, does anyone else have any stories of how they came to pick their house name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this to accommodation & property - you will probably get more replies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

hhmmmm well depend.
    i would like to name my house in my native language so i believe it would be great if you can find some name in Irish language. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why not name it after a well known landmark where you were brought up? You could call it Cnoc-na-Si (a well known Sligo landmark) or whatever. It would mean something to you, and differentiate it from the local surroundings. It might also help the postman if you had something to make it stand out. E.g. you could make a little dolmen at the gate or something. Its your house though- and its a blank canvas ready for you to play with. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

smccarrick wrote:
    Why not name it after a well known landmark where you were brought up? You could call it Cnoc-na-Si (a well known Sligo landmark) or whatever. It would mean something to you, and differentiate it from the local surroundings. It might also help the postman if you had something to make it stand out. E.g. you could make a little dolmen at the gate or something. Its your house though- and its a blank canvas ready for you to play with. Have fun!

Thing is, the other houses in the townland all have the local landmarks already (Weir View etc...) and since there's not that many landmarks anyway and the fact that I'm a "foreigner" in these parts, that's why I'm looking for something different. This is just the first one that I've thought of though and the house isn't going to be finished until probably next Feb so I have a while to decide for definite. I did get a few ideas off http://www.namenerds.com/irish/house.html and http://www.mhb.ie/mhb/OurServices/CorporateFitness/IrishLanguage/English/Dictionary/Housenames/ but decided on the above 'cause it kinda rolled off the tongue in a nice Gaelige bróg way :)

I'm still looking for other ideas though so the above might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Excalibur Cottage

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my parents named their new house after myself and my brother "karnleigh".

my own house was originally called Glencree but i rid of that, my grandmother wants me to call it St. Anthony because she prayed to him quiet a lot so i would get it but i would like some with an irish name i think

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Negative Equity:rolleyes:

But seriously, do people name their houses anymore? I though that it was just detached/country houses that had names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Nermal

irishbird wrote:
    my parents named their new house after myself and my brother "karnleigh".

My sympathies with both of you, Karn and Leigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

we got an old map of the area and found out that the hill (more like a mound) we lived on had a name and use that. if you find those old maps, there are names on everything and nobody remembers them now.
    so its relevent and Irish.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Nermal wrote:
    My sympathies with both of you, Karn and Leigh.

could have been worse my dad got this mental brain wave that he want to call it "Ratland" he thought this was brilliant, strange strange man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

couple on anagrams of OP'S name
    An King Moms
    An Kings Mom
    An Smog Mink :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Along the same lines...

Snaking Mom
    Gammon Sink
    Gammon Inks
    Gammon Skin
    Gammons Kin
    Gammons Ink

and my personal favourites

Among Minks
    Mango Minks

My parents went with an anagram, to use up some gold letters they had hanging around in the garage and got Ballarat.... 20 years on, we have rats... but maybe Minks aren't so bad!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just with the Irish thing. We live on a road with an Irish name and it's pure hell having to spell it out every single time you order a taxi/chinese/pizza or anytime you have to give your address out to someone. No one would ever get it right if we didn't spell it out letter by letter :mad:

Would steer well clear of the old gaeilge myself.

JupiterKid wrote:
    Negative Equity:rolleyes:

But seriously, do people name their houses anymore? I though that it was just detached/country houses that had names?

Well, my soon to be built one is a detached country house alright....it'd be a bit odd to name something like my first house...a three-bed semi in an estate. ;)

...or is there anyone who's done that?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

smokingman wrote:
    Has anyone had to come up with a name for their new house??
    People who have a name for their house are a particularly sad bunch of sods. They are them same people who usually have eagles or houses heads are the entrance gates. Most cases they like SUV's also - sad!

dodgyme wrote:
    People who have a name for their house are a particularly sad bunch of sods. They are them same people who usually have eagles or houses heads are the entrance gates. Most cases they like SUV's also - sad!

What do you so if it's a green field site in a countyside townland so?
    I can understand where you're coming from as I've seen some of the stupid names on houses in howth and dalkey alright but when you've no numbers on any of the houses in the adjoining fields, what are you to do?

...oh and I hate SUVs and especially their drivers...I've an old A4 myself and I'm never buying something that needs a step to get into.:mad:....but that's another thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

smokingman wrote:
    What do you so if it's a green field site in a countyside townland so?
    ...oh and I hate SUVs and especially their drivers...I've an old A4 myself and I'm never buying something that needs a step to get into.:mad:....but that's another thread....
    Where I grew up none of the houses in the town had numbers and still dont and almost none (which is the reason for my scorn) of the houses in the surrounding townland had names and this is still the case. Perhaps due to settlement changes some parts of Ireland now need more than the name of the adressee and the townland etc but my mate is a rural postman and he just knows where everybody lives even though there is a fairly big area to cover.

As for the old A4 - nice choice! great car.

dodgyme wrote:
    Where I grew up none of the houses in the town had numbers and still dont and almost none (which is the reason for my scorn) of the houses in the surrounding townland had names and this is still the case. Perhaps due to settlement changes some parts of Ireland now need more than the name of the adressee and the townland etc but my mate is a rural postman and he just knows where everybody lives even though there is a fairly big area to cover.

As for the old A4 - nice choice! great car.

Y'see, I'm a bit of a blow-in so it might take a while before my local postie can figure out who the hell I am - my address is currently "care of" to get the postie used to my name (I'm renting a house 2 fields away from the site) and after the house is built, I'm guessing it'll be easy for him to deliver to the new address. There is a family with the same surname a bit up from me (no relation) and I'm scared he might deliver my post to them so hence the name thing.

Cheers on the A4 kudos, it really is a cracker even if it is a '97 model. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 headstar23

Hi there. Just wondering if you have to register a house name or just change your address yourself with An Post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement