Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 VW Passat Towbar

Options
  • 03-07-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently bought a Passat 2.0 Tdi saloon. I need to get a towbar fitted for towing a small boat. I've been given prices of around €350 for a regular towbar or around €500 for a detachable version. This also includes all wiring and the VW relay that is required.
    Does this sound like a decent price and would I be better off going for a detachable version?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Prices sound about right. I wouldn't bother with the detachable version on a VW passat, its not exactly going to ruin the asthetics, no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I have a detachable one on my '04 Passat estate.
    Because of the reverse parking sensors on it I had to have it.

I got it fitted in the UK for about £280 - was living there at the time. It was £100 cheaper for the standard towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

€350 sounds about right - especially if the price is VAT inclusive.
    scaldybelt wrote:
    I have a detachable one on my '04 Passat estate.
    Because of the reverse parking sensors on it I had to have it.

Do you happen to know what the reasoning behind this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

crosstownk wrote:
    Do you happen to know what the reasoning behind this is?

Curious about this myself, I have had three cars with reversing sensors and tow bars, no issues. Two were factory fitted sensors and one was aftermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Jaysus 350 sounds a bit steep, i baught one for a VW Bora 2 years ago for 150 euro from my local motor factors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jaysus 350 sounds a bit steep, i baught one for a VW Bora 2 years ago for 150 euro from my local motor factors

I think the OP's price includes fitting the tow bar and connecting any relevant wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You used to be able to wire the Tow Bars for the Older VW's directly in to the wiring loom (i.e. Bora) but with the newer models you need the loom bypass as well and that alone cost about €100 + VAT.

I have had problems where a tow bar was fitted to a car with parking sensors right behind one of the sensors. This meant whenever the driver stuck the car in reverse the sensors went mad as he was only about 4" away from an "obstacle".

If you are anywhere between Dublin and Portlaois try Tow-Fit on 1850 51 16 51. Tend to be cheaper than Malcolms in Dublin, but there equipment wouldn't be as heavy duty.

€350 fitted sounds pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I am looking to get a tow bar fitted to my 06 Passat and have got quotes of 500 and 600 euro to supply and fit. These prices are from two VW garages. I don't want a botch job done so am afraid to leave it to a non VW. Any suggestions of where to get it done cheaper. In the Mayo or Sligo area.

Advertisement