Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gorey Bypass

• 03-07-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Is it true it's opening on Friday?? At Last??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Afriad not.

Its tomorrow, and only from Clough to Tinnock Roadabout, the Arklow link won't open until September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

There doesn't seem to be a slip road to get off at the Ballcanew road, is it worth using it , presuming i'd get off at courtown slip road or is there one further down? Not a great deal of info available from Wexford CO CO !

Saw strectches of it from the train the other day.. quite a bit of small jobs still to do; like railing and the like in places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Should have opened this morning, I'll have my first drive on it tomorrow morning. I had noticed the lack of an off ramp at the Ballycanew road heading south too, not sure of the best way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

How long will it take to get from Wexford town to Newtown MountKennedy when its open? Distance in KM's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

xebec wrote:
    Should have opened this morning, I'll have my first drive on it tomorrow morning. I had noticed the lack of an off ramp at the Ballycanew road heading south too, not sure of the best way around it.

I'm sure you've sussed this now, but if you take the Courtown exit to the roundadbout and don't take the exit for Courtown,. Instead, take the second exit, signposted Carnew and Gorey, this will lead you to the Ballycanew road.

azzeretti wrote:
    I'm sure you've sussed this now, but if you take the Courtown exit to the roundadbout and don't take the exit for Courtown,. Instead, take the second exit, signposted Carnew and Gorey, this will lead you to the Ballycanew road.

Yep, had figured that out alright. Actually took the bypass the whole way south the other day and came through Enniscorthy instead of going by Ballycanew, got down in very quick time. The only problem with that route is when they start work on Ferrycarrig Bridge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

well im quite very happy with this bypass because goreys traffic problem is more a less
    gone :D

xebec wrote:
    Yep, had figured that out alright. Actually took the bypass the whole way south the other day and came through Enniscorthy instead of going by Ballycanew, got down in very quick time. The only problem with that route is when they start work on Ferrycarrig Bridge...

I imagine that it will be faster to turn off at Kyle and heads to Killurin,
    Then you have the choice of coming out by the Heritage Park turn off or by Barntown.

I say this because, even at the moment there can be quite a backlog on the Castlebridge route.

Is the new Bypass fully open then?

iainnash wrote:
    Then you have the choice of coming out by the Heritage Park turn off or by Barntown.

I say this because, even at the moment there can be quite a backlog on the Castlebridge route.

Doubt it Iain, that seems like a long way around. The queue on the bridge would never justify all that extra travelling.
    iainnash wrote:

No, it's open from Clough to about 5km north of Gorey, apparently in September it'll be completed and will then join up with the Arklow bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

iainnash wrote:

As xebec says there will be queues so I wouldn't bother plus there is no right turn onto the Carcur road from the Barntown roundabout direction. There's also no right turn from Carcur onto the bridge, you have to go left, round the Barntown roundabout and back again.

The Gorey bypass is ace but next there will be queues through Camolin and Ferns.

There is a way (I think!) that leads from Kyle - Killurin - Glynn (ish!) - Barntown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Well, coming into Wexford, hang a right at Kyle Cross and proceed over the bridge, left at the junction and carry on then right at the railway bridge (left to Heritage Park) and either straight on and out at Larkin's Cross or left again (windy, steep turn) and there's Barntown.

Thats the way! Depending on the queues, it is an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bins

the road at ferns is the worst road in ireland:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

god bless that by-pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hey all,

google maps have it up on their site

http://maps.google.com/maps

search for gorey, zoom in and away u go.

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gonkster

Is it me or is there still a lot of cars in Gorey despite the bypass? :)

I've noticed that it's definitely miles better early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NicOda

New road is great but oh my good god will anything ever be done with the road in Ferns. I am on that road between Waterford and Arklow twice a week for the past 4 years .The bypass takes a good 10 minutes off my journey when there is no traffic and possibly an hour in peak times. The road is just getting worse and worse in Ferns. 1 section about 500 yards long was dug up twice in a year wit a diversion around it and when it was reopened it seemed that the surface was layed by a volunteer group from the local creche.
    Its discraceful and everytime I drive through it I wonder how local people tolerate it. Leaving the town going towards Dublin have to drive at about 10 miles an hour or less and weave around the F****ing craters of the moon that seem to be getting bigger everytime i drive on that road. Has anyone complained to the council about it????

Anyone hear when the full by- pass opens, had heard some months ago that it was to be 5th September. Looking at it over the weekend it looks almost ready.

Secman

• Advertisement

Heard over the weekend that the opening date for the full by pass is on thur 13th September , anyone else hear this ?

Yours
    Secman

IT OPENS TODAY AT 3:30 PM

Closure on this !!!!!!

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

and what a fantastic Road it is , well worth the wait - I am pretty sure anyone who commutes will really appreciate the difference this road will make

Ah, would have to agree, the road is fantastic. The fact that all the heavy trucks and dangerous goods vehicles dont go tru the town is brilliant.

A couple of things to note tho folks.

The times of traffic lights changing at the main street, avenue and north parade need to be changed ASAP. I have rang and emailed bernard lawless now a few times complaining about it and he says the usaual lines of crap. 1 st was they were waiting 4 the bypass to fully open, which it has and still no change. now i cant even get a reply.

any1 who waits on either the avenue or north parade knows how short the sequence is, a mtyatter of 10 seconds sometimes compared to about 70 seconds the other way.

the link road from the new dunnes stores up to the monument also is an issue they seem to dodge too. At least the parking at the train station might go thru (maybe in 2008)?

the fact that they removed all the grills around the trees on the main street one week but left one outside joannes? why???? 1???? wtf?

can they not feken get rid of it? it was months ago now!!

any opinions on these matters?

New road is fantastic!

Confused the satnav though! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Strangely enough the true impact of the by-pass was not fully appreciated until the Arklow end opened, I often wondered if people knew about it at all. I had several times sat in a jammed Main St, only to cross the bridge at Raheenagurren and see not one vehicle on the by-pass. A lot of the remaining traffic problems on Main St. could be solved by banning parking outside Pettit's and Centra to allow the filter lanes to be utilised properly. A bit of pro-activeness on the part of the Gardai would help too, they don't seem to notice traffic problems. I was passing up Main St. the other day and there were two cars parked in the Bus stop, the bus was stopped in the middle of the road loading and unloading passengers, holding up the whole street and a female Garda was standing outside Mc Governs watching the whole thing.

i agree totally bmaxi.

the filter lanes at pettitts really need to be made 2 lanes, coz there is always some twat turning right heading for courtown but sits in the middle of the road, blocking all the traffic that wants to go north out of the town, that one piece of road would keep the traffic flowing when its heavy for sure.

as for the gardai?

anyway, no proper carparking in the town after the market sq. always means, parking where u shouldnt, "sure im just nipping in to the shop, wont be 2 secs"

sure they park on the footptahs now down the avenue

well i see my complaints made it into the guardian about the traffic lights anyway.

still nothing done to them tho...eejits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Was on the bypass on Tuesday for the first time, its fantastic. The only problem I could see now is that there is no decent petrol station/rest spot from Ferns right up to the outskirts of Dublin. Surely it would have made sense to build a couple of garages along the way for people to stop and get petrol or to stop for a snack??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

Yes I agree totally - There is a serious lack of garages along the route , not sure if there is any planned, it sure would be a nice little earner ;)

Ditto for just about every motorway/dual carriageway in the country although I seem to remember something about providing service stops in Transport 21. There is one at Barndarrig, between Jack White's and The Beehive, this, until recently, had the reputation, among commuters, of being the dearest and having the quickest reaction to price increases in the area ( I wonder why?). Lately, however it is actually cheaper than some of the stations in Gorey. Incidentally, isn't it amazing how the two garages on the Arklow Road in Gorey always charge the same price and increase their prices at exactly the same time. Maybe I'm just cynical but on a point of principle I never buy petrol there, I'd rather push the car home.

Has there been much of a reduction in traffic through Gorey after the new bypass?

Has there been much of a reduction in traffic through Gorey after the new bypass?

While it can still be problematic at times, there is no comparison to three months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Has anything been done about the road in Ferns yet? Agree with the earlier poster that it's a disgrace. Have yet to experience the fully opened bypass, the first section was lovely though.

Good point about places to stop along the route. I always seem to end up at the garage in Ferns coming down from Dublin. Never seem to stop on the way back, Ferns is too early and isn't really anywhere else.

yeah, all the real heavy goods vehicles and delivery trucks, artics etc are all gone, which is a big help. It is much easier to get into and out of now, but there are certain times, and places you shud avoid still.

If not, get on yer bike, its was and still is the only way to get around :)

• Advertisement

We always used to cut off before getting into Gorey (from Wexford) and then head down the little street that was parallel to the main street.

We would then be out ahead of the traffic in front in us! This way should still work during peak times.

Advertisement