Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling jackets

Options
  • 03-07-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Folks, anyone got any recommendations for cyling jackets? I would prefer something very visible, waterproof and breathable. Warmth is not a concern.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

This is a fantastic jacket - I got one about three years ago, and it's still going strong. It's got great waterproofing, is breathable and I challange you to find another jacket that's more visible.
    Karrimor have actually gone out of business now, so you might pick it up on sale on the internet cheaply. Having said that, it was fantastic value at it's original RRP. I checked chain reaction - not sure what size you are, but if they have your size - you will not get a better jacket for the price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12456

Best of luck - I've paid three times of much and got far less than this jacket gives in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If warmth is not a concern you don't want an Altura Night Vision, it's good in winter but too hot in general at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Yeah, they do look quite heavy. These look quite light, though:

http://www.polaris.in//category-5976/product-3254//AQUALITE,-Fluorescent,-Small.html
    blorg wrote:
    If warmth is not a concern you don't want an Altura Night Vision, it's good in winter but too hot in general at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have that yellow altura too, tis fantastic and quite good at keeping out the rain and well ventilated in warmer weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

They are many different jackets.

Shop around, but good visibility and breathability are useful.

I got caught on buying a 20 euro jacket in Decathlon in France. In Sufficent breathing ability. First time I wore it, the moisture had nowhere to go.

My 2 others were more expensive but fit the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bartislartfast

Have one of these from:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360025651&N=Endura%20Ultralite%20Jacket

folds up to the size of a tennis ball and fits in its own pocket.

Its waterproof, not sure about the breathability - still end up soaking from perspiration but I suspect thats unavoidable. Limited windbreaking or thermal ability [none].

Money Shot- how small does that Karrimor fold up to? Any idea as to what the sizes mean, I range from a small to xtra-large depending on the label, cycling clothing seems a bit nuts that way. I'm looking for a compact summer one I can fold up into a jersey pocket myself as my Night Vision is too warm and too bulky to fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Crud - I completely missed your post and now I've ordered the other jacket. That Karrimor was another one I was considering, and your recommendation would have sealed the deal!

Anyway, I'll order it too, for purposes of comparison. The only possible issue is that medium may not be big enough for me. If so, back she goes.
    Money Shot wrote:
    This is a fantastic jacket - I got one about three years ago, and it's still going strong. It's got great waterproofing, is breathable and I challange you to find another jacket that's more visible.
    Karrimor have actually gone out of business now, so you might pick it up on sale on the internet cheaply. Having said that, it was fantastic value at it's original RRP. I checked chain reaction - not sure what size you are, but if they have your size - you will not get a better jacket for the price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12456

Best of luck - I've paid three times of much and got far less than this jacket gives in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

blorg wrote:
    Money Shot- how small does that Karrimor fold up to? Any idea as to what the sizes mean, I range from a small to xtra-large depending on the label, cycling clothing seems a bit nuts that way. I'm looking for a compact summer one I can fold up into a jersey pocket myself as my Night Vision is too warm and too bulky to fold.

It does fold up small as there is only one layer of material, but I don't think it would quite fit into a jersey pocket.

As regards sizing, it's standard UK jacket sizing in terms of S, M, L, XL. I always take an XL in standard clothing, and some cycling clothing it can be XL,XXL, XXXL. I'm six four and around fifteen stone and the XL fits perfect, so i'd say the sizing is more standard sizing rather than the cycling sizing you sometimes see on european makes.

P.S a small point worth noting - the jacket doesn't have any pockets, so if you have that need you can cross it off your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

blorg wrote:
    I have the Altura Stream Windproof jacket. It too is too warm for the moment, but great for when it gets cooler. It is also good in light rain.
    I have it in bright yellow, but they stopped that ideal colour last year. It won't pack down like the other suggestions.

• Advertisement

I think if I was buying again I'd go for windproof/showerproof rather than "waterproof" - still reasonable and I imagine helps with the breathability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I just ordered this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11427

in flourescent yellow.

I also got the montane lightweight pants.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11429

I wanted to be as light as possible. I have full on heavy rain gear and it is annoying bringing it around these days when it is showering on & off every 2 seconds. Still need the heavy for when it is torrential.

I got them a bit cheaper using the CRC pricematch promise. When you do a price match with them they add on the postage that the other site would charge. Saves €1.80 on pants, and €3 on a tyre, not a lot but quick to do, just cut & paste the product name into google, I got both on the first page, email it and CRC were back within 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

ruprect wrote:
    I just ordered this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11427

in flourescent yellow.

Had it today in pretty bad rain for 20mins. Got wet in through the zip a bit, so the smock might be better if that worries you. Didnt sweat at all with a t-shirt on, the rain probably cools you down a lot. Back comes right down over your arse and is elasticated so stays there fairly well. VERY flourescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Having goe a nice Amazon.co.uk voucher for Xmas, I'm thinking about getting a decent Altura (or similar) jacket. Amazon won't ship this stuff directly to ROI, so I'll have to route it through family in the UK. For me, it looks to be coming down to a choice between;

- Altura Night Vision - pro's = visibility, con's = weight, lack of breathability
    - Altura Crosslite - pro's = breathability & lightness, con's = lack of visibility

I reckon I'll go with the Night Vision, as visibility is critical to me. If it is too heavy for summer, I can always just use a standard hi-vis vest in summer. Any comments/suggestions/personal experiences are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Could someone recommend a brand of jacket ,that would suit a large person.
    Large as in round and not as in tall:D

I was going to order a gill jacket ,but they look slim fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

i have this jacket
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=12289&categoryID=207
    should fit your spec: waterproof, very visible due to big luminous stripes (even though the jacket itself is dark) and breathable. Its only a single polyester layer though so it aint warm. also rolls up small - i keep it in a large sandwich bag!

one of my mates just got this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11883
    in red its really bright. he's well happy with it. all round looks a better jacket than mine above.

you get what you pay for.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Could someone recommend a brand of jacket ,that would suit a large person.
    Large as in round and not as in tall:D

I was going to order a gill jacket ,but they look slim fitting.

The Altura Night Vision will be grand they have them in cycleogical if u need to try one on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

thanks peterk ,I was hoping to get one on crc ,but I will probably do best with your advice.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

u could just try it out in cycleogical im sure you will get it cheaper online tho

The Altura Night Vision is _very_ visible indeed, I've noticed other cyclists with them while in the car and it really sticks out more than their lights or anything else they have been wearing. It is however a bit on the warm side; this could be a plus or a minus depending on how hard you cycle. It has vents you can open for some more ventilation but they are not terribly effective. Also the front pocket zip on mine broke although this could have been as a result of a tumble.

I find myself wearing a tiny fold-up Polaris Aqualite more often which is not warm at all, use the Altura if there is a chance of cycling on unlit roads. You should get it a bit cheaper than the £60 on Amazon if you look around; I think I paid around £45 a year or two ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement