Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet Wireless Anyone Use Them ?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

My area is covered so it tell me on there web site. Just going to send them an e-mail, just wondering if anyone has there BB ?

And what do you think of it ?
    Are they ment to be any good ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

I am trying to get Permanet broadband, they are meant to be very good....better than eircom anyway....if I were you I wold go for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

JMURPHY3 wrote:
    I am trying to get Permanet broadband, they are meant to be very good....better than eircom anyway....if I were you I wold go for it....

Sent them an e-mail but no word back yet, If i don't hear anything from them i will give them a ring tomorrow.

Have 3 BB at the moment but if i could get there Wireless i might do it. Its good to hear they are ment to be good. But anyone else have dealing with this company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Form what i remember there mast is down across the river from Cheekpoint on the Great Island power station I think if you have line of site to it you should be grand. I'm not sure what other masts the have around there tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Stokolan wrote:
    Form what i remember there mast is down across the river from Cheekpoint on the Great Island power station I think if you have line of site to it you should be grand. I'm not sure what other masts the have around there tho.

Yeah your correct i got an e-mail back from them saying it was in Cheekpoint. As im a long way away from there and cant view it from my house its another kick in the teeth.

I have 3BB now its far from been BB if u ask me but i don't have anything other then 3BB in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

just to inform my experiences of permanet broadband. milltown co kerry
    i bought myself a ps3 and wanted to goonline, as im outside the major towns in kerry i didnt have the wired option. checked the different providers. irish broadband werent doing any more connections in my area so it was between permanet and kerry broadband. permanet had better prices so i went with them.
    anyhow registered on the web site friday afternoon last got a phone call monday asking if i was available for installation on tuesday and the following day i was up and running. had minor tech support issue got it rectified that day but all in all top class. got the 2mb package and my download speeds are around 1.4 consistently and my uploads around the .5 mark. my only gripe is that the package says 2mb download but the maximum you will get is 1512 kbps ie 1.5mb which is more a marketing or advertising area.

back to playing resistance fall of man online now
    chow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ot the 2mb package and my download speeds are around 1.4 consistently and my uploads around the .5 mark. my only gripe is that the package says 2mb download but the maximum you will get is 1512 kbps ie 1.5mb which is more a marketing or advertising area.

Agreed, it appears they should rename there products as upto 2MB, since speed can vary

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

just to inform my experiences of permanet broadband. milltown co kerry

Are you using VOIP, I'm in Milltown and would like to get rid of the landline if I get Permanet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I have PermaNet 2mb broadband for the past two years in North Kerry. I do have problems at the moment during peak times (5pm onwards). The maximum download I ever got from them is 1400kpbs. Come 5pm onwards it drops to between 200kpbs-300kpbs. My upload is consistant all the time at 500kpbs. Should this contention be this bad??

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

sorry rash,
    dont use voip as of yet. but speeds are good so might think of dumping eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I've been with permanet for about 2 years now and i am currently on their 3mb biz package (work from home), located just outside Killorglin

I get generally 2.5mb down and 512k up, don't notice any great contention problems (mostly due to being on the biz package). Kids use it alot for Xbox live without any issues, have used it for VoiP (although not regularly) and not found too many issues, will be getting a softphone soon so will give it a more rigorous going over ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Living in Listowel, Co. Kerry and installed Permanet over a month ago (2 mb Biz) and bar the first week when there was a general outage all over the place, this service has been fantastic.
    Xbox live is a pleasure to be on and VOIP is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wexbrew

I have used Permanet 2MB biz for a while and generally get good speeds. However, the connection often hangs during an upload or download. This is especially inconvenient during email download or ftp upload as it just hangs with the job partly done. It is less of an inconvenience for browsing as refreshing or going back and forward will usually shift it.

Permanet have not heard of this problem from many other customers. Anyone any idea what the problem might be? I connect via Forth Mountain in Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wexbrew

Answering my own question! Permanet support were very helpful. The problems seem to have been with router. Once I entered static IP into it service has been perfect - no problem with email or You tube downloads. Speeds very close to spec (1.5 down, 0.5 up).

Advertisement