Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband problem...

Options
  • 03-07-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey All,
    Im having a problem with BT Broadband and wonder if anyone has encountered it before...
    I cant connect to the internet,the wireless connection,which is done with a USB connection to a zykel router is fine. I can ping it and telnet into it however when i connect and let it automatically assign ip settings it doesnt assign a gateway. It does assign itself as the DNS server... This is confirmed when i ping google.com,it can translate google to an ip address but cant ping it....When i ping it from the router(after telneting in) it pings fine...

So the problem looks to be that i dont have a gateway set...but i cant set it as when i try to set the ip settings it says i cant as i dont have a working network adaptor! Plus i dont know what hte gateway is...

Has anyone had a problem where the settings arent assigned automatically by the router?

Anyone know how to fix this or what might be causing it?

Thanks for any help offered!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Okay since nobody else seems to want a shot at this I'll have a go.

firstly back up a bit, a few of the things that you have said dont really make sense. Instead of going through what you said, I will suggest to you what I think you should do.

I normally dont set up these devices on the usb port, and I would recommend that you just connect the Ethernet port of your PC to one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the router. That's the large telephone cable, you should have got one with the router. In general I find that networking is more stable if you use the Network/Ethernet port of the PC. After all that's what it's there for. Plus is means that you dont waste one of your usb ports unnecessarily.

When you do that, and boot your PC, your PC should accept a DHCP assigned IP address, gateway and DNS server (the gateway will act as a DNS proxy) for your PC. This should work fine. I would at least try this first.

Oh, just so that you can check, most of those Zyxel routers come with IP address 192.168.1.1 as default, and this will be set as the gateway. So when you boot you're PC, open up the command prompt and type in IPCONFIG /ALL and you should see the following settings:

IP Address: 192.168.1.x (where x is any number from 2 to 254)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

NB The router will have to be configured with the proper DNS servers on the Internet, but this should be done already. Let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phoenix404

Thanks for the reply

Im thinking my problem is being caused by the usb interface...iv tried your steps above however no gateway is assigned and i cant assign it manually...well i can if i edit the routing tables...but ya probably dont wanna do that! Il try hook it up directly via cable and see if it works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phoenix404

Right,just for a bit of closure on this,the gateway wasnt being set automatically so i set it manually with:

route -p ADD 0.0.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 METRIC 20

All works now,more of a network problem than a broadband problem but now if anyone else gets it they'l know how to fix it

Advertisement