Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity

• 03-07-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    what are the legalities for charities collecting?
    Can anybody just collect and say it is for charity or do they not have to have some sort of evidence, a registered charity number or something?
    Rgds

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You need to get a licence from the Gardaí, and they're quite strict about it. As for gaining charitable status legally, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I don't think anyone here knows enough about it to give a full description of what's involved, and anyone that does know that much about it is unlikely to have the time to explain it to you.

If you're really really interested, though, you can read Hilary Delany's Equity and the Law of Trusts - chapter on Charitable Trusts for a fairly complete treatment of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

You need to get a licence from the Gardaí, and they're quite strict about it. As for gaining charitable status legally, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I don't think anyone here knows enough about it to give a full description of what's involved, and anyone that does know that much about it is unlikely to have the time to explain it to you.

If you're really really interested, though, you can read Hilary Delany's Equity and the Law of Trusts - chapter on Charitable Trusts for a fairly complete treatment of it.
    Ok, The reason I ask is I saw a charity collecting who were not able to provide any evidence they were legit. when I asked them.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just don't give them money then. They're supposed to carry the licence (or a photocopy) and some identification with them at all times. Otherwise they can be arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does collecting on private property, eg outside Lidl etc protect them from the Gardaí?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Does collecting on private property, eg outside Lidl etc protect them from the Gardaí?
    No, not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Is it ok for a charity to keep pursuing money from you if you state that you are a student? I heard that it was illegal once, never found out if it was true or not.

Ok, The reason I ask is I saw a charity collecting who were not able to provide any evidence they were legit. when I asked them.
    I was told it was in lieu of a "free" admission to a concert. When I asked them where the money was going they couldn't even say. When I refused to pay, I wasn't allowed into the concert.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

raido9 wrote:
    Is it ok for a charity to keep pursuing money from you if you state that you are a student? I heard that it was illegal once, never found out if it was true or not.

It is illegal if they start stalking someone (i.e. harrasment). It's one thing to ask you a few times for money, or if a few different people ask you in different places, but quite another if the collector follows you home, sets up a tent in your garden and asks you for money every morning when you go to work and every evening when you come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

gabhain7 wrote:
    Thanks for that. This was at the concert, they wouldn't let us in unless we paid a fiver to charity. A charity they had no evidence of. They were Gardai there and I pointed this all out to them but they didn't care.

Is this act relevant to this situation? It looks like it is and what they were doing was illegal. I think it might be a good idea if anybody wishes to continue this discussion with me they pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

I was told it was in lieu of a "free" admission to a concert. When I asked them where the money was going they couldn't even say. When I refused to pay, I wasn't allowed into the concert.
    That's incredible! I'm sick of being stung by jumped up nobodies who think because they were a flourescent jacket they're some type of authority figure.

Why don't you take it up with the event organisers? They advertised the concert as free. False advertising/misrepresentation. If it was a charitable organisation who organised it, can you complain to Charity Ombudsman or something?

That's incredible! I'm sick of being stung by jumped up nobodies who think because they were a flourescent jacket they're some type of authority figure.

Why don't you take it up with the event organisers? They advertised the concert as free. False advertising/misrepresentation. If it was a charitable organisation who organised it, can you complain to Charity Ombudsman or something?
    I will pm you.

Advertisement