Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Grandprix in cinema?

• 03-07-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed the the vue liffey valley are showing the British Grand Prix live this weekend, don't think i'll go myself, but does sound interesting. Cost maybe a little high, 15 for adults 8 for kids. Would be interested to hear what its like if anybody does go or has any further details
    On Sunday 8th July, Formula One™ Grand Prix is coming to the big screen as Vue plays host to the British Grand Prix. For the first time in history, cinema goers will be able to experience all the excitement of the Grand Prix in stunning HD Quality and Dolby Digital 5:1 Surround Sound. Watch Lewis Hamilton race to the finish line without the disruption of commercial breaks and in the comfort of a fully air-conditioned auditorium. This unique experience also includes a complimentary official race programme worth £10, a free drink and a bag of popcorn.

http://www.myvue.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'll be going to see this in Edinburgh. A bit expensive but I've no tv channels at the moment so it's no dearer than my usual Sunday afternoon visits to the pub recently. Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Went to 1 or 2 of the Grands Prix when they were showing in Spirit on Abbey Street, at least there you could have a drink while watching. Good crack, a bit of live atmosphere. I think it was about a tenner in at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I was in Vue today and asked about the race there are 40 seats booked. Just been checking up I believe James Allen will be commentating which will be insufferable listening to how great Lewis is providing he doesn't crash on the first corner then JA will have nothing to say which is not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

endplate wrote:
    I was in Vue today and asked about the race there are 40 seats booked. Just been checking up I believe James Allen will be commentating which will be insufferable listening to how great Lewis is providing he doesn't crash on the first corner then JA will have nothing to say which is not bad

You know something, I have actually got to the stage where I am more sick of hearing people complain about ITV than hearing ITV big up Lewis:rolleyes:

Has anybody here watched a Bernard Dunne fight on RTE recently? Just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Babybing wrote:
    You know something, I have actually got to the stage where I am more sick of hearing people complain about ITV than hearing ITV big up Lewis:rolleyes:

Has anybody here watched a Bernard Dunne fight on RTE recently? Just as bad.

Just because its done on RTE doesn't make it right either. I'd be just as annoyed listening to that crap on any station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

How does it work?
    Do they get a feed from ITV but without the commerical breaks?

micmclo wrote:
    How does it work?
    Do they get a feed from ITV but without the commerical breaks?

Yeah I believe it's uninterrupted ITV commentary.

You can watch Speed TV if you download TVU player from here http://tvunetworks.com/ . A good broadband connection is required. Fridays practice sessions are broadcast live as are the qualifying and the race. Scroll down the list of channels and select wheels and you can watch F1 via the net.

Babybing just wondering do you prefer biased commentary? cos I don't hence why I don't watch F1 on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

endplate wrote:
    Yeah I believe it's uninterrupted ITV commentary.

You can watch Speed TV if you download TVU player from here http://tvunetworks.com/ . A good broadband connection is required. Fridays practice sessions are broadcast live as are the qualifying and the race. Scroll down the list of channels and select wheels and you can watch F1 via the net.

Babybing just wondering do you prefer biased commentary? cos I don't hence why I don't watch F1 on ITV

No I get where your coming from, but Im just saying thats the way of the world. Im just as sick of hearing about their biased as I am of hearing them Lick Hamiltons arse. As you point out there are plenty of other alternatives.

What way does all the pre race stuff work at the cinema? Will they be showing it? Also I booked tickets but couldnt chose my seats...is it allocated seating or sit anywhere?

Coverage starts at 12 dunno what the plan is for the pre race build up is. I looked on the Vue website there is no allocated seating by the looks of things. I can't decide whether I'll go or not as for reasons mentions earlier. I wouldn't mind watching the race on a big screen. I'm only 2 minutes from the Cinema so distance is not an issue. Might just flip a coin in the morning to decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Went to see it there today, wasn't that impressed to be honest.

It wasn't ITV's coverage, they had Jonathan Palmer alongside some guy I didn't recognise commentating. I quite like Palmer but he's no Martin Brundle, and between the pair of them they just made way too many mistakes. They weren't as annoying as James Allen but at least he's (usually) informative - the commentators in the cinema kept getting mixed up over driver names, missing overtaking moves and pitstops and noticing things about ten minutes after they were blindingly obvious to the rest of us.

Also, the lack of a pre/post race show was frustrating. The screening started half an hour before the race, but this half hour was just spent showing random images and scenery from around Silverstone in silence. Given all the off-track news that happened in F1 during the week since the last race, I would have liked to see a proper pre-race show like ITV usually have. Post-race was the same, no analysis or anything but they did show the press conference in full which was nice.

Visual and audio quality was amazing, some of the onboard shots were especially stunning so I've no complaints on that side of things, I'd definitely go back in future if they put more focus into their broadcast team. Right now though ITV is a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

steviec wrote:
    .....they had Jonathan Palmer alongside some guy I didn't recognise commentating.

According to Digitalspy's "F1 broadcasting" thread, apparantly it was Andrew Marriot who was the other commentator. Anyone who's ever heard him commentating on 'World Motorsports' on Sky Sports or on such things as the DTM, Le Mans Series, etc., will know how boring he is and how he often makes major cock-ups such as below.....
    steviec wrote:
    .....the commentators in the cinema kept getting mixed up over driver names, missing overtaking moves and pitstops and noticing things about ten minutes after they were blindingly obvious to the rest of us.

Putting him alongside another "Mr. Boring", Jonathan Palmer, must have been simply painful to listen to! :rolleyes: :D
    steviec wrote:
    Also, the lack of a pre/post race show was frustrating. The screening started half an hour before the race, but this half hour was just spent showing random images and scenery from around Silverstone in silence. Given all the off-track news that happened in F1 during the week since the last race, I would have liked to see a proper pre-race show like ITV usually have. Post-race was the same, no analysis or anything but they did show the press conference in full which was nice.

Well, from what I can gather, all they were showing in the cinemas was the generic F1 world feed with just the commentary tacked on over it so, naturally enough, there wouldn't have been any additional pre- or post-race analysis like you'd get on ITV or any other TV channel. Trust me, watching ITV's coverage yesterday, you didn't miss much! :rolleyes: Was just the usual "Lewis Hamilton this, Lewis Hamilton that, blah blah blah, interview with his father, blah blah, quick interviews with other drivers where Lewis had to get another mention in, etc., etc. You know, just another usual ITV Lewis love-fest! ;):D

Advertisement