Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Braking problem - pulse/click coming through pedal.

Options
  • 03-07-2007 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I've noticed something really disconcerting happening with the brakes on my car lately - it's a Volvo C70 Coupé. When depressing the brake slightly, I can sometimes feel a pulse or vibration coming through the brake pedal and the brakes don't seem to be working as effectively as they should. It's a fairly rare occurence but I'm afraid there might be something about to give, I really haven't a clue what's causing it, I usually just take my foot off and press again. I've noticed that sometimes I really need to heavily press the brake when stopping suddenly. THe car is only recently serviced by a Volvo Dealer (about 2 months/ 2,000 miles ago) and only has 38k on the clock, so there shouldn't be anything majorly wrong with it...

Anyone else come across this or have any ideas about what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cord

Hi
    Sounds like warped brake disks, but when dealing with brakes better let the pro's have a look. Bring it back to the people who serviced the car. That's my pennies worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like your ABS may be kicking in. It could also be a warped brake disc. Get it looked at, it's not worth taking a chance where brakes are concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Thanks lads - am I correct in expecting a 12 month warranty from the dealer should cover this? (I'll read the small print to double check when I get home)

am I correct in expecting a 12 month warranty from the dealer should cover this? (I'll read the small print to double check when I get home)

Do you mean for the service? Did you have this fault before the service or has it developed since?

It's developed since the last service - so not expecting any comeback there... but I have a 12 month warranty from the dealer I purchased the car from, second hand - so just wondering if this type of problem would be covered by that warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

crosstownk wrote:
    Sounds like your ABS may be kicking in. It could also be a warped brake disc. Get it looked at, it's not worth taking a chance where brakes are concerned.

I'm with Crosstownk on this. Sounds like ABS problem, leave it to the experts.

If it's an ABS problem I'd expect this to be covered by the warrenty. However, if ir's a problem with the pads I doubt they would cover this as they are a "consumables". Also, not sure, if it's a warped disc they may also try to argue that these are consumables but I'd argure the case with them if that's the case.

Best of luck and drive slowly til you get it fixed.

but I have a 12 month warranty from the dealer I purchased the car from, second hand - so just wondering if this type of problem would be covered by that warranty?

Ah - I see.

I'd imagine it sould be - doesn't sound like a wear and tear fault to me.

Hoping so - okay - thanks for the helpful replies all - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hoping so - okay - thanks for the helpful replies all - much appreciated.

One quick thing to check:

Are all the wheel nuts tight? I had a very similar experience, and when I checked, one or two were loose (hand tight) and when I tightened them correctly, the pulsing went too.

Might save a trip to the garage.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did the service involve removing or replacing brake parts? The symptoms sound like faulty ABS speed sensor, it might be dirt on the buisness end of the sensor. Or it might not be pushed 'home' fully

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement