Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 New Broadband Package???

Options
  • 03-07-2007 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any info on the pricing or caps on o2s new usb broadband package?
    I read somewhere it was being launched yesterday or today with possibly a 10 gig transfer limit like the 3 package
    anybody heard any news yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Don't know, I know we have some O2 datacards here and people keep using them all the time instead of using the network connection in the office. Muppets!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

are the mobile phone signal and the bb HSDPA signal separate??

i mean if the o2 phone signal is strong in a certain area does that doesn't mean their bb signal will be strong too??

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

philstar wrote:

i mean if the o2 phone signal is strong in a certain area does that doesn't mean their bb signal will be strong too??

My old man got this with his bill this morning. Pretty terrible if you ask me.

philstar wrote:

There are separate AFAIK. Just a quick look at 3's website will show you they use different coverage maps for 3G/HSDPA and 2G/Voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

These are new sites in addition to all the current sites which are being upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There is a lot work going on at the minute to expand the 3G/HSDPA network. It is a separate system to the 2G network, there is additional equipment & also more sites required to deliver the 3G service to the same levels as the 2G service.
    The leaflet does only show the most recent site activations but there are many more that have been live for a while now.
    There are also many more in the pipeline literally coming live every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

launched today. Modem costs \0€69 if you take out a phone contract or already have a phone contract with o2, otherwise its \0€89. 2 tariffs, one completely pointless the other has a 10gb cap and costs either \0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0€40 per month if you don't have a phone contract with o2, \0€30 if you take out or already have a contract. both these are half price for the first 3 months. in terms of coverage, the system for checking coverage isn't up and running yet so expect main cities, suburbs and most satellite towns around these cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Does ulster not exist anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Did it ever exist? ;)

seems reasonabley priced if u have an o2 phone,its a pity meteor dont have a hsdpa deal for their customers

• Advertisement

djmarkus wrote:

You really want to open that can of worms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

You really want to open that can of worms?

In fairness, the good people of Monaghan, Cavan & Donegal may wish to avail of the service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

perhaps there was no new masts to announce for those areas.

BendiBus wrote:
    In fairness, the good people of Monaghan, Cavan & Donegal may wish to avail of the service :)

Can we agree on these two anyways, Monaghan, Donegal :D

djmarkus wrote:

Well a lot of people in Ulster can get broadband from UK wireless suppliers and there is just no point in Irish providers trying to compete with that level of semi-competency.

BT are a lot better in NI than eircom are in the south,id much rather deal with them than eircom scum

Whats the whack and nory with this? is this in o2 shops in a usb version as we speak? i only ask this as portlaois seems to be a month behind with every thing.

its not even on the o2 website yet cause i wanted to read their terms and conditions to see if its better than the 3 deal

does any1 know how what happens when u go over the 10gig caps in this package?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

delllat wrote:
    does any1 know how what happens when u go over the 10gig caps in this package?

I got a couple of modems for two people in my office today and I was told that if they exceed the cap on an ongoing basis that they would be given warnings and could have their contracts cancelled eventually if their usage patterns didn't improve.

• Advertisement

ElNino wrote:
    I got a couple of modems for two people in my office today and I was told that if they exceed the cap on an ongoing basis that they would be given warnings and could have their contracts cancelled eventually if their usage patterns didn't improve.
    did they mention charging per megabyte?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

last time I looked O2 were charging over €900 a Gb excess charge ...early this year.

If they brought in a simple 3 strikes and you are out rule it would be much fairer ....simply pay off the balance of months due on the contract after strike 3 and you would be looking at 9 months x €30 max .

I'm sure jnive can communicate this to the powers that be in there.

im rich but even i cant afford 900 per gig :D

That is my single main worry about o2, pending clarification of course !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

its charged at 10cent per mb. so a gig will cost around 100euro. i have no doubt o2 will charge you for going over the limit, in actual fact as i work for them i can say they are probably hoping people go over the cap as everything they have done over the last 6 months have been to generate income, and cut services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

there's an add in the carphonewarehouse for o2 broadband for 15.99 a month.
    anyone know anything about that price package?

Todays tribune said that there will be a promotional addon for €15 a month ...rising to 30 a month after 3 months and with 10Gb cap.

Expect a media spend to kick in tomorrow on the o2 product .

The tribune also says that 3 only have 85000 subscribers nationwide while meteor, the next smallest , have 10 times that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Press release:
    O2 Broadband, through a wireless USB modem, will enable up to 10GB of data to be downloaded as standard per month, with no additional charges for occasional usage in excess of this. O2 is the first mobile provider in Ireland not to automatically charge customers if they exceed the 10GB usage limit, subject to fair usage policy.

The service will initially be available for a three month introductory price of €15 per month for those with an existing O2 post-pay voice connection or for new post-pay customers taking a voice connection*. It will be €20 for all other customers. Following the three month promotional period, the monthly cost is €30 (with voice connection*). For all other customers the cost is €40 per month. The USB modem will be priced from €69 (all prices quoted are inclusive of VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

0k there modem is cheaper then 3 modem which i got (129 i think). But i only have to pay 20 a month. So far it has worked good for me since i found a good location in my house.

So ill think ill stay with 3 then switch to 3 for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PawelPabich

Direct link: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/O2+Broadband/
    Their offer doesn't seem to be competitive to the 3 offer. It's only 40 Euro less for the modem but 20 Euro more a month which basically means that O2 is much more expensive. Any idea why I should pay more? Is it worth that ?

Advertisement