Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 New Broadband Package???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Direct link: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/O2+Broadband/
    Their offer doesn't seem to be competitive to the 3 offer. It's only 40 Euro less for the modem but 20 Euro more a month which basically means that O2 is much more expensive. Any idea why I should pay more? Is it worth that ?

I've been looking into alternatives for when I move and personally their appears to be no benefit with O2's service except coverage for where Three don't cover.

Three's service is better priced imho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

O2 may fall back to 200k edge instead of 43k gprs on the margins of coverage
    but get confirmation in writing from them first .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I got this today in henry st,brought it home,installed,nothing!
    no signal,no bars not even gprs
    so i called the helpline and was told they forgot to activate it in the shop so could i bring it back to the shop 2mo to get it activated
    IDIOTS!
    the only good thing is the fair usage policy seems a bit more lenient than the 3 policy and occasional overuse will not be penilised

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

delllat wrote:
    they forgot to activate it in the shop so could i bring it back to the shop 2mo to get it activated
    IDIOTS!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Direct link: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/O2+Broadband/
    Their offer doesn't seem to be competitive to the 3 offer. It's only 40 Euro less for the modem but 20 Euro more a month which basically means that O2 is much more expensive. Any idea why I should pay more? Is it worth that ?

If the 3 works ok then its a better deal. Lots of people are not happy with it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I've seen on the website coverage map it has urban areas in dark blue "Mobile Broadband in the home" and outlying areas in light blue "Mobile Broadband on the move".

I can't find any clarification on this, but can I take it this means that in the light blue areas it will only work outdoors, there's not enough signal strength to get through solid walls?

We're based on the border of a light blue area, i'm wondering if it's worth the outlay if it won't work anyway. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I've seen on the website coverage map it has urban areas in dark blue "Mobile Broadband in the home" and outlying areas in light blue "Mobile Broadband on the move".

I can't find any clarification on this, but can I take it this means that in the light blue areas it will only work outdoors, there's not enough signal strength to get through solid walls?

We're based on the border of a light blue area, i'm wondering if it's worth the outlay if it won't work anyway. :confused:

That's why i have my modem stuck to the window :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

From O2 website:
    Less than 7 days
    If you are unhappy with the device you purchased and provided you haven’t used it, you can return it to O2 for a full refund. This should be done within 7 working days of receipt of the device. If you bought your device online, you must return your device to our Freepost address below. This is in accordance with the Distance Sales Regulations. If you bought your device in an O2 Retail Store, then you can return your device for refund in any O2 Retail Store. If you buy a phone as a Speak easy Christmas gift, we will allow the item to be returned for a refund up until the 5th of January, provided it hasn't been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's 60euro cheaper for the modem, 3's is 129 and O2's is 69. They're also 20 a month for the first three months and then 40 a month afterwards. So the full price is double that of 3's, but given the amount of complaints around here about 3's practically non-existent service I'd not be in too much of a hurry to sign up to them. Also, 3 have no fall back at all for when you're outside their 3G coverage areas. The price difference means it'll be 6 months before O2 starts to cost you more than 3, then it'll be double what 3 charge. The question you need to ask is whether O2's "fair use" leniency on the cap and their possibly better coverage with the GPRS or 2G fall back worth the extra you pay?

I just picked up the O2 kit for when I'm travelling at the weekends and it's working away here now in Limerick (Raheen) at 2.68M down and 334k up. I have full 5 bar signal strength.
    delllat wrote:
    so i called the helpline and was told they forgot to activate it in the shop so could i bring it back to the shop 2mo to get it activated
    IDIOTS!
    Seems O2 were having major problems yesterday activating SIM cards, I had the same issue, was told there was a large queue for activation and it was going very slowly. Working fine here now though.

I'm happy enough with it for the moment, but I'll have to see how I get on with it at the weekends when take it to Waterford, Wexford or Galway. That'll be the real test.

watty wrote:
    If you are unhappy with the device you purchased and provided you haven’t used it, you can return it to O2 for a full refund.
    How would you know you were unhappy with it if you hadn't used it though? :confused: That's a bit of a silly condition to have on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

watty wrote:
    From O2 website:
    Less than 7 days.....
    If you are unhappy ......provided you haven’t used it, ........ provided it hasn't been used.

Fantastic! I'll buy it, decide without opening the wrapper that I'm somehow unhappy with it, and then get my money back.
    Or....I could just not buy it in the first place! What a useless regulation!:rolleyes:

I bought it yesterday,they forgot to activate it in the shop,went back today,got it "activated",
    went home,still not activated!
    call helpline again
    am told sorry we are unable to activate it yet although it should be activated by tonight bla bla bla
    2 days into the 7 day trial and they still havent been able to turn it on for me despite 3 calls to helpline and two visits to the shop it was purchased from
    welcome to Ireland!

Called Portlaois, Tullamore, & Carlow to try and get one of these and guess what? We don't have any in stock, did you sell out? no we just don't stock them, if you want one we will have to order one in for you. What the ****:confused:

Called Portlaois, Tullamore, & Carlow to try and get one of these and guess what? We don't have any in stock, did you sell out? no we just don't stock them, if you want one we will have to order one in for you. What the ****:confused:
    Trust me mate,u dont want one of these,they are still trying to get mine "activated" for two days now
    at least the 3 modem worked when i brought it home

delllat wrote:
    Trust me mate,u dont want one of these,they are still trying to get mine "activated" for two days now
    at least the 3 modem worked when i brought it home
    To late, well kind of, just put a deposit down on one an hr ago. "Should" have it in a day or so.

I was the same with 3, they said it would take 24hrs to activate but it worked straight away and there was way more demand for the 3 offer than there would be for o2 im guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jamesdonegal

well, got the o2 product after returning the 3 modem.
    1700kbps down
    300kbps up

(reason for returning the 3 modem is that i checked the www.askcomreg.ie/ and seen that the o2 3G mast is located in line of sight of my house in dublin, and another in line-of-sight of my home town in donegal so took a wild guess that the coverage would be better ;)

to check go to the base station go to the base station section (map), zoom in on your area (and select the mast tick box), then just click on each mast to see if the o2 mast near your house is 3G or not

the 3 speed test was giving, at best, 700kbps.
    check out the new o2 speed test.
    now, this was at 12 bells at night though. will give another test at a busy time 2morro

i am expecting the speed to go down as more and more people purchase the modem over the next few weeks/months (until the 7.?mbps comes into effect in september/october)

[this is my 1st post so i hope it was helpfull in some way]

I also got the o2 modem after returning the 3modem
    Im now on the enterprise going dublin to dundalk and its able to stream video without losing connection
    very inpressive
    also much faster than the 3 modem especially at night
    I think they use traffic shaping til 10pm though cause then it really lights up
    i downloaded about 9gigabytes in a few hours with it and my average download speed was about 2300k which was very impressive for mobile broadbamnd,
    slightly more expensive than the 3 modem but twice as fast at leaest in dublin 1,city centre

well, got the o2 product after returning the 3 modem.
    1700kbps down
    300kbps up

(reason for returning the 3 modem is that i checked the www.askcomreg.ie/ and seen that the o2 3G mast is located in line of sight of my house in dublin, and another in line-of-sight of my home town in donegal so took a wild guess that the coverage would be better ;)

to check go to the base station go to the base station section (map), zoom in on your area (and select the mast tick box), then just click on each mast to see if the o2 mast near your house is 3G or not

the 3 speed test was giving, at best, 700kbps.
    check out the new o2 speed test.
    now, this was at 12 bells at night though. will give another test at a busy time 2morro

i am expecting the speed to go down as more and more people purchase the modem over the next few weeks/months (until the 7.?mbps comes into effect in september/october)

[this is my 1st post so i hope it was helpfull in some way]

Ahh. Things like this put a smile on my face. Still waiting for my modem:mad:
    If you order it today we will have it in tomorrow! Me hole. Why has this country got to be so ****ing slow with every thing you want..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Just got this and I'm just about within HSDPA coverage with 1 bar if I sit in the corner of the sitting room or near the window in the kitchen!

But I'm having an email problem with Outlook. I keep getting "relaying not allowed" error messages.

Tech support say it's a problem with my personal email address's servers but this doesn't make sense as I get the same message when using my Yahoo email address or the O2 one and trying to send.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

what smtp are you trying to use and does it accept logon or pop before send or IP range authentication?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

that error can often happend if transmission is cutting out and the server isnt receiving your authentication details.

Also, if it is just pop-before-smtp , then you need to check for new mail first in your client and then your IP is authorised to send mail usually for the next 30 or 60 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

sorted it now thanks guys. I was using O2 smtp address when I should have been using a different one for my various email accounts.

Will be using O2 broadband for a few days as a trial just to make sure the signal is consistent and then it's goodbye to 56k dialup :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

I bought this today and 02 modem, andit worked fine......only getting 56.4kbps tho....cant get any other broadband service in our area...any way to improve the connection as I suppose its jst like fast dial-up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

JMURPHY3, call o2 and ask about coverage in your area. They should be able to tell you whether they plan to install any new 3G base stations in your area over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

In en am niscorthy town there is 2g and 3g coverage,I live 8 miles outside and receiing via GPRS..........must go into the town with my laptop and c if it improves it.We live in such a poor coverage area:D

What part of Enniscorthy? That's one of the places I'm hoping to use mine. 8 miles out of town is probably too far as the only 3G transmitter in the area is on the Garda Station mast at the top of the town. You probably won't get anything other than GPRS out there for now, hopefully they'll upgrade more of the base stations soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I have it myself (maynooth), I only have one HSDPA signal bar but I was getting 800K down last night at 8o'clock and 300K up. Not sure if I had more that one signal bar would the speeds go up. Il be getting a longer USB cable to move the modem closer to the window where I can get 3 bars on my phone. but 800k is fine for my interweb activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

JMURPHY3 wrote:
    In en am niscorthy town there is 2g and 3g coverage,I live 8 miles outside and receiing via GPRS..........must go into the town with my laptop and c if it improves it.We live in such a poor coverage area:D

Im gonna try the 3 modem in Enniscorthy, living in milehouse area, any ideas if coverage good there?

Looks like 3 have two masts in Enniscorthy. One opposite the Mart on the old Dublin road and one in the middle of the town, looks like it's on the telecoms tower that's opposite the Castle, behind the old ESB building. Don't know if you'll get good signal from either of those in the Milehouse, depends on how far you are and if there are any hills in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

jor el wrote:
    Looks like 3 have two masts in Enniscorthy. One opposite the Mart on the old Dublin road and one in the middle of the town, looks like it's on the telecoms tower that's opposite the Castle, behind the old ESB building. Don't know if you'll get good signal from either of those in the Milehouse, depends on how far you are and if there are any hills in the way.

I was hoping there would be one on one of the mountains , eg mt.leinster or something, hmm I think I will try out the 3 offer and if it doesnt work Il bring it back within the time-limit.

If anyone tries it in milehouse area could they please post up results?

Thanks.

Advertisement