Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 of Xbox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I already gave a reply over on the PS forum. But I forgot to add that the 360 has quality issues and there appears to be quite a large % of machine's dying. MS or the orginal store of purchase will sort it out but it's all the hassle that's involved. Just something to factor in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Although I am probably quite lucky that mine hasn't died yet as it is now well over a year old, I don't think that there are as many problems with new 360's now and they will be more reliable than the original batch of consoles. I don't think that the reliability of the machine should be too much of an issue for a new purchaser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Games with better framerates on 360
    http://news.google.ie/news/url?sa=t&ct=/8-1-0&fp=468aae5b0a3f6462&ei=e1eKRsXBCJK4pQLn4IzsBg&url=http%3A//blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/playstation-3s-.html&cid=1117788700&sig2=mdL5Rx2CrP-lWflCJk1BoQ

PS3 exclusives turning to 360 exclusives
    http://news.google.ie/news/url?sa=t&ct=/7-1-0&fp=468aae5b0a3f6462&ei=e1eKRsXBCJK4pQLn4IzsBg&url=http%3A//blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/fatal-inertia-o.html&cid=1117788700&sig2=uA3L8Rc-rVOQizhfdSWqzA

Go to news.google.ie
    Customise the page so that one panel shows PS3 news and another shows 360 news. Save it and check it every couple of days. Decide for yourself.

There are two reasons I can see that you'd go for PS3.
    1: There are exclusive games that you want on the PS3 that won't be available on the 360.
    2: You really want to play Blu-Ray movies.

I don't fall into either of those categories so I've gone for the 360 and haven't regretted it at all. I saw the red ring of death once but it was because I'd turned on the 360 with the TV cable plugged out. Gave me a heart attack. Haven't seen it otherwise. As for the fan. It is noisy, but not noisier than my games :)
    I don't use the 360 for movies. I have an old Xbox with XBMC that does a much better job than the 360 or PS3 (excluding Hi-Def of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Went and bought the 360 yesterday anyway lads thanks for the help.
    Bought it cause i cant afford the PS3 at the moment, i can see myself getting one when they come down though.

It looks great on the 42" but didn't buy any games (as i have some on their way from play.coom) so was a bit disappointed when i couldn't play any of my old Xbox ones on it. Downloaded the backwards compatibility update and put it on a cd and the xbox wouldnt read that either but i presume its something im doing wrong.

Anyway thanks

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

was a bit disappointed when i couldn't play any of my old Xbox ones on it. Downloaded the backwards compatibility update and put it on a cd and the xbox wouldnt read that either but i presume its something im doing wrong.

Anyway thanks

Steve

Not all xbox games are compatible. Check this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Not all xbox games are compatible. Check this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

I know that but the two i had were.

GTA San Andreas and Halo 2, expected them to work without doing any updates. The idea of updating a new console before you use it just doesn't appeal to me, seems a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The idea of updating a new console before you use it just doesn't appeal to me, seems a bit ridiculous.

This is the same for PS3 (by the way) - as the European PS3 uses software emulation for the older games, too. (US and Asian ones had a hardware chip inside, but they removed it from the EU ones, to save .0001c per PS3 they made).

It's a whole lot easier if you have an internet connection as it does it automatically when you insert a disc for a compatible game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Halo 2 should work right away IIRC, the harddrive comes with the update for that already.

Did you burn the CD correctly? (according to the instructions on the site)
    I burned one for someone else before and it worked fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

ive updated mine a few times through the xbox site and worked no problems., halo should work straight out of the box and without an update.,

im not big on the PS3 at the moment, its has been out for months now and there still isn ant great games for it. also the controllers arent really suitable for triggers imo, they feel like it was an after thought that they just added in and my fingers dont really sit naturally on them and end up with a pain in your hand from holding your fingers over the triggers. also there is now said it be problems with the bluray discs rotting?
    thats a bit of a downer for something that costs you a fortune, i presume sony will replace any that have had problems though.,.
    the hardware solution to backward compatability was aparently removed because there was problems with the ps2 games syncing sound with whats on the screen so they went for a software solution for europe,.,
    if i was to choose a console from the PS3 and the 360 it would defo be the 360 at the moment, the ps3 just hasnt lived up to all the hype yet and i cant see it happening until they get some decent games out there.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Yeah like koneko said did you burn it correctly I once burned the file the file form xbox.com onto C.D without unziping it first:o :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

I know that but the two i had were.

GTA San Andreas and Halo 2, expected them to work without doing any updates. The idea of updating a new console before you use it just doesn't appeal to me, seems a bit ridiculous.

They worked fine for me man, did ya get the premium pack?with the HD I mean.

I had problems with that update CD, but I just tried it a few times and eventually it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I presumed you bought a Premium, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. You can't get backwards compatibility without the harddrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Halo2 does not work out of the box,but the first one does.

Advertisement