Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touring the EU on a provisional

• 03-07-2007 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello all

I am in the initial stages of planning a trip around Europe, I only have a provisional licence and so I was wondering is it permitted to travel outside of Ireland on such a licence? Would my insurance be valid?

I haven't purchased my bike yet but have been looking at a BMW R65, does anyone have any experience riding one of these on a provisional?

The listed power of the bike is 48.00 HP (35.0 kW)) @ 7250 RPM

I appreciated that I would have to get this restricted but seeing as the bike I'm looking is 19 years I assume that the bike's power has naturally depreciated, does anyone know where I could get it dyno-ed? how much that would cost?

I am hoping to execute this plan in the next 3 weeks so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't purchased a bike yet so if anyone has any better ideas please let me know, my criteria is something inexpensive, suitable for someone on a provisional, good reliability and that is common so that parts and expertise for repair would be universally available.

all advice is hugely appreciated

thanks a million

eldon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Bad news for you....

You are not allowed to leave the country (ROI) with a provisional licence and your provisional would not cover you for that bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

eldon wrote:
    Hello all

I am in the initial stages of planning a trip around Europe, I only have a provisional licence and so I was wondering is it permitted to travel outside of Ireland on such a licence? Would my insurance be valid?

I haven't purchased my bike yet but have been looking at a BMW R65, does anyone have any experience riding one of these on a provisional?

The listed power of the bike is 48.00 HP (35.0 kW)) @ 7250 RPM

I appreciated that I would have to get this restricted but seeing as the bike I'm looking is 19 years I assume that the bike's power has naturally depreciated, does anyone know where I could get it dyno-ed? how much that would cost?

I am hoping to execute this plan in the next 3 weeks so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't purchased a bike yet so if anyone has any better ideas please let me know, my criteria is something inexpensive, suitable for someone on a provisional, good reliability and that is common so that parts and expertise for repair would be universally available.

all advice is hugely appreciated

thanks a million

eldon
    You can't even tour the whole of the island of Ireland legally on a provisional, let alone Europe.

If you look at yuor provisional it states that it is only valid in the state.

If you next question is "should I risk it?" The answer is no. Please to not make the mistake of thinking the lack of enforcement of rules you see in Ireland is a European trait. Believe me it is not.

I would say that in general the chance of you getting stopped and asked for your licence is probably quite slim. I rode from Calais to Brussels to Utrect(sp) to Luxenbourg and back to Calais without seeing a single cop, on a full license. The problem is, if you are stopped it will be a very unhappy experience.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your insurance would also be invalid.

So you'd be riding a bike you have no licence or insurance for and no experience.

As said above. Don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you are, as they say, toast.

popcorn4jj.gif

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

While we're on the subject.. What about a (restricted) Full Licence?
    I passed the test in March last year so I'm still on the 2 year restriction. Was thinking of doing a bit of touring this September.

PS - Hi MrPudding! Hope you're doing well since WWR. I can now read your posts with an accent and a face to go with them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Dr Pepper wrote:
    While we're on the subject.. What about a (restricted) Full Licence?
    I passed the test in March last year so I'm still on the 2 year restriction. Was thinking of doing a bit of touring this September.
    How do you mean? You can ride any bike that you can ride on your restricted licence abroad too. Restricted licences aren't restricted to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks, just wondering if I can ride abroad at all. So, the answer is yes. I assumed the same power restriction would apply abroad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Dr Pepper wrote:
    Thanks, just wondering if I can ride abroad at all. So, the answer is yes. I assumed the same power restriction would apply abroad too.
    Yep. Whatever you interpret that restriction to be because the law is far from clear ;) Your licence was issued under irish law so any foreign police force/DPP would only be able to prosecute you if you were in breach of irish law vis a vis licencing. They couldn't, for example, say "well in the UK the power to weight restriction means...." because that is irrelevant as far as an irish licence goes because the irish licence was issued under our laws, even though they are supposed to comply with the same EU directive (the 2nd driving licence directive). Because of these complexities, I would imagine you might be delayed by cops abroad if stopped but not prosecuted as they's have to go off and look at our law governing your licence and once they saw how loose it was they'd have no choice but to let you go.

I do this myself by the way, I'm on a restricted licence for another 9 or so months too but I will take a bike above 25kW abroad and I'll certainly ride one here until I hear of folks being prosecuted for it and let's be honest, in a country where a 19 year old can hop in a Ferrari and drive it untested and unaccompanied quite legally I can't see any bikers who've passed a test being done for the restriction for a while yet.

Advertisement