Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screen ?

• 03-07-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Honda F6C that's fitted with a screen. The screen is too high (I believe I should be looking over it) I'm 5'9,I've lowered it to it's minimum and in fine weather it's ok but on a recent trip to Kildare at night and raining visabilty was nil, especially on country roads and oncoming cars.Does anyone know of some place in Dublin that would cut the screen down by a couple of inches or am I silly for even thinking it can be done. If not,are screens sold in one size fits all or can they be individually sized to the bike and rider.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dubtom wrote:
    I recently bought a Honda F6C that's fitted with a screen. The screen is too high (I believe I should be looking over it)

The general purpose of the screen is to deflect the wind over you. What you are trying to do is divert it onto you.

If the screen is too scratched and dirty, you might be better removing the screen altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Actually no, I believe the screen should be below head height, at an angle directing the wind and rain over the rider. If they were designed to look through they would have a windscreen wiper.It's not scratched or dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dubtom wrote:
    Actually no, I believe the screen should be below head height, at an angle directing the wind and rain over the rider. If they were designed to look through they would have a windscreen wiper.It's not scratched or dirty.

The F6C is a cruiser style bike isn't it?

570_0_1_2_f6c%20valkyrie_Image%20credits%20-%20Herb%20Jenssen.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Some people like to look through a screen, though the overall concensus is that you should be looking over it.
    For example on my own bike, the screen is electric, and can be adjusted quite high. This is fine for cruising on a straight motorway, but quite off putting when you move onto more twisty roads.

You can cut your screen pretty easily.
    first you need a perspex blade in a jigsaw (or very fine blade)
    you need a jigsaw that you can control the speed.
    Put masking tape where you want to make the cut, and draw a line where you want the blade to go.
    Make sure you put masking tape on both sides of the screen where the cut will be.
    It is advisable to put tape over as much as the screen as you can to protect it
    Cut slowly! With slow speed, otherwise you can melt the plastic.
    When the cut is made, leavig the masking tape on, file the cut, and give it a rub of some sandpaper....job done... now you can open the beer.

Personally........ i wouldnt have a screen on an f6... dont think it looks good... but thats me... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Excellent doktor, many thanks.
    Yes that's the one nereid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chippy01

dubtom wrote:
    I recently bought a Honda F6C that's fitted with a screen. The screen is too high (I believe I should be looking over it) I'm 5'9,I've lowered it to it's minimum and in fine weather it's ok but on a recent trip to Kildare at night and raining visabilty was nil, especially on country roads and oncoming cars.Does anyone know of some place in Dublin that would cut the screen down by a couple of inches or am I silly for even thinking it can be done. If not,are screens sold in one size fits all or can they be individually sized to the bike and rider.

I personally do not like the standard Valk screen, and luckily enough when I got my Valk there was no screen on it. I installed an aftermarket screen I got off of E-Bay. Only a two-point handlebar mount, but very well balanced. No shake or flutter even at high speed. (I got a two for the price of one special from RoadKrome in Canada, one for my SuperMagna and one for the Valk) See below
    RHFront.jpg?t=1183496247

There are many 'universal' fit types out there which will fit quite well (depending on what you are looking for)
    And as previous answers have stated, the ideal height for the screen is such that you should be able to see the road surface about ten feet in front of the bike, when looking OVER the top of the screen.

Advertisement