Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Desert Classic VI Thread

• 03-07-2007 1:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the first day of qualifiers for the main tournament took place yesterday with 8 players winning through to the main event. Mick McGowan was one of the players trying to win through but he failed to make it. Jelle Klaasen also failed to win through but fellow PDC new boy Mervin King managed to win a place as did UK Open semi-finalist Colin Osbourne.

The 8 qualifiers are:
    Dennis Smith
    Wes Newton
    Steve Maish
    Kevin Painter
    Steve Beaton
    Colin Osborne
    Mervin King
    Ray Carver

All results from the first day in Vegas can be seen here:
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/LatestDetail/0,,10180~1066079,00.html

There is another day of qualifiers today with another 8 places up for grabs giving everybody a second chance to win through to the main tournament which starts on Wednesday and will be shown on Sky.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The final qualifying night for the Desert Classic main tournament was held last and there were a few surprises in store. Ronnie Baxter, Barrie Bates, Andy Jenkins and Michael Van Gerwen all failed to make it into the main tournament as did Ireland's Mick McGowan.

The 8 players to qualify last night were:
    John Ferrell
    Steve Smith
    Tony Eccles
    Mark Dudbridge
    Stuart Holden
    Andy Smith
    Alan Tabern
    Vincent van der Voort

All the nights qualifying results can be seen here:
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/DesertClassicDetail/0,,10180~1067002,00.html

The first round draw was also made last night. Here it is:
    Las Vegas Desert Classic VI - First Round Draw
    Darin Young v Tony Eccles
    Phil Taylor v Mark Dudbridge
    Gerry Convery v Mervyn King
    John Kuczynski v Alan Tabern
    Roland Scholten v Andy Smith
    John Part v Steve Maish
    Colin Lloyd v Wes Newton
    James Wade v Colin Osborne
    Gary Mawson v Stuart Holden
    Peter Manley v Vincent van der Voort
    Raymond van Barneveld v Kevin Painter
    Dennis Priestley v Dennis Smith
    Andy Hamilton v Steve Beaton
    Adrian Lewis v Steve Smith
    Terry Jenkins v Ray Carver
    Wayne Mardle v John Ferrell
    Best of 11 legs
    From Round Two onwards a free draw will be made.

The darts will be shown live on Sky Sports from tonight and the schedule of play for tonight is:
    7pm James Wade v Colin Osborne
    7.30pm Gary Mawson v Stuart Holden
    8pm Andy Hamilton v Steve Beaton
    8.30pm Phil Taylor v Mark Dudbridge
    9pm Colin Lloyd v Wes Newton
    9.30pm Terry Jenkins v Ray Carver
    10pm Wayne Mardle v John Ferrell
    10.30pm John Part v Steve Maish

There really are some mouth watering first round clashes. Live darts is back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Nice one, Dudbridge 6-5 over Phil the prat Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Results Round 1 Wednesday 4 July
    Colin Osborne 6-5 James Wade:eek:
    Gary Mawson 6-2 Stuart Holden
    Andy Hamilton 5-6 Steve Beaton:eek:
    Phil Taylor 5-6 Mark Dudbridge:eek:
    Colin Lloyd 3-6 Wes Newton:eek:
    Terry Jenkins 6-3 Ray Carver
    Wayne Mardle 6-3 John Ferrell
    John Part 6-4 Steve Maish

Thursday 5 July(Las Vegas Times)
    11am Gerry Convery v Mervyn King
    11.30am Dennis Priestley v Dennis Smith
    12pm Darin Young v Tony Eccles
    12.30pm Peter Manley v Vincent van der Voort
    1pm Raymond van Barneveld v Kevin Painter
    1.30pm John Kuczynski v Alan Tabern
    2pm Adrian Lewis v Steve Smith
    2.30pm Roland Scholten v Andy Smith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some real surprises last night. I don't think Osbourne beating Wade was that surprising because Osbourne is a top player and got to the semi-final of the UK Open. Wade really threw it away though by missing 5 darts to win the match. Hamilton losing to Beaten was a shock. Hamilton is usually very steady but he had 3 or 4 legs were he totally lost the plot and Beaten took advantage.

The shock of the night was obviously Taylor losing to Dudbridge. Taylor was very poor for his standards as he averaged a poor 91. The angle of his darts were off and his doubles were very poor. Dudbridge kept plugging away and deserved his win in the end. Dudbridge was a very real talent but went off the boil for a few years. Hopefully this means he is back. I'm delighted that Taylor has been knocked out as it means the tournament is wide open now.

What is it with Wes Newton and Vegas? He always seems to do well and he put n a top performance to knock out Lloyd he didn't do an awful lot wrong. Good wins for Jenkins, Mardle and Part as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

totally agree with you kingp35,the osbourne result was no surprise to me at all.he is a cracking player is osbourne.
    the taylor/dudbridge was a massive surprise and fairplay to the flash.
    Llyold/newton not a surprise to me at all,everyone raves about jaws for some reason and he always gets knocked out early in most tv tournaments,he can only slide down the ladder eventually like painter,mardell e.t.c.

i fancey 1 from the following 3 players to win it,jenkins/barney/osbourne.

• Advertisement

Thursday Results
    Gerry Convery 1-6 Mervyn King
    Dennis Priestley 5-6 Dennis Smith
    Darin Young 6-3 Tony Eccles
    Peter Manley 6-4 Vincent van der Voort
    Raymond van Barneveld 6-1 Kevin Painter
    John Kuczynski 5-6 Alan Tabern
    Adrian Lewis 6-3 Steve Smith
    Roland Scholten 6-4 Andy Smith
    Best of 11 legs

Second Round Draw & Order of Play
    Roland Scholten v Steve Beaton
    Wes Newton v Terry Jenkins
    Peter Manley v Colin Osborne
    Raymond van Barneveld v Wayne Mardle
    Adrian Lewis v Mervyn King
    Mark Dudbridge v John Part
    Darin Young v Dennis Smith
    Gary Mawson v Alan Tabern

No real big surprises last night with Priestley losing to Dennis Smith being the big one. He was 4-0 and then had darts to win but somehow manage to lose. Mervyn King cruised through and I think he has a real chance in this tournament. Barney was unstoppable against Painter and Lewis looked decent too. It's anybodies tournament now with Taylor gone.

Some great second round matches tonight and it should be another top night of darts.

did mason lose in the qualifiers?.

hawker27 wrote:

I don't think he entered it for some reason.

very strange kingp35,i taught i seen his name in the qualifiers early on.
    did again as soon as he goes a set or 2 down he starts getting watery eyes and tends to be looking every where except at the dart board.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    I don't think he entered it for some reason.

• Advertisement

Last nights results:
    Roland Scholten 8-5 Steve Beaton
    Wes Newton 7-8 Terry Jenkins
    Peter Manley 8-4 Colin Osborne
    Raymond van Barneveld 8-1 Wayne Mardle
    Adrian Lewis 8-6 Mervyn King
    Mark Dudbridge 7-8 John Part
    Darin Young 7-8 Dennis Smith
    Gary Mawson 8-6 Alan Tabern

Quarter final draw and schedule of play: (7pm Start)
    Dennis Smith v John Part
    Adrian Lewis v Peter Manley
    Raymond van Barneveld v Roland Scholten
    Gary Mawson v Terry Jenkins
    Best of 19 legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

What you make of Lewis so far KingP. Has shown good temperment to win his games esp against the decent King. I fancy him to go far maybe final if he avoids barney in the semis-but then again I'm a big fan.

Like how John Part is playing too, very solid scoring and has been unlucky with doubles hence the close scorelines.

Would love to see one of the two winning it Part or Lewis (nothing to do with the fact I backed them in the outright obviously!!). Always watch the games regardless and have a bet for fun.

Who dyou think will win it KingP? Have my lads got a live chance dyou think?

rag2gar wrote:
    Who dyou think will win it KingP? Have my lads got a live chance dyou think?

Yeah I think Lewis is playing really well. The Premier League has done him the world of good because he got some abuse from the crowd for being too cocky and I think that has made him settle down and just get on playing darts. I expect him to beat Manley and and he does have a good chance to win it. Lewis can beat most people on his day but I think Barney is a bridge too far for him. If he can avoid Barney and Barney gets knocked out then Lewis has a real go.

I think that John Part is the only player left that can beat Barney. Part is a fantastic player and always gives the big lads a real game. He has beaten Taylor as many times as Taylor has beaten him and he was very unlucky to lose 11-10 to Barney in the UK Open. For me Part has a real chance and I would love to see him win it. Remember he beat Barney in the final last year.

I expect Lewis, Barney, Part and Jenkins to win through to the semi-finals.

Typical Adrian Lewis, I say that he has a real chance and is playing well and then he goes and loses to Manley in the quarter finals. He really does have a reputation as a bottler now. He should have won that match.

John Part had a very tough match against Dennis Smith but he came through it in the end. Barney had no trouble beating Scolten as he finished with a 101 average. Terry Jenkins is the other quarter finalist as he beat Gary Mawson 10-7.

Las Vegas Desert Classic Quarter-Finals
    John Part 10-9 Dennis Smith
    Adrian Lewis 8-10 Peter Manley
    Raymond van Barneveld 10-4 Roland Scholten
    Gary Mawson 7-10 Terry Jenkins

Semi-Final Draw & Order of Play

Peter Manley v Terry Jenkins
    John Part v Raymond van Barneveld
    10am Sunday (6pm BST)
    Best of 21 legs

followed by
    Final
    Best of 25 legs

Part against Barney should be a great game. Part is the one player who could beat Barney.

Semi-Finals
    Terry Jenkins 11-8 Peter Manley
    Raymond van Barneveld 11-7 John Part

Final
    Raymond van Barneveld 13-6 Terry Jenkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kolo2007

the las vegas darts tournament has to go down as one of the most uninteresting darts tournament i have watched in the last couple of years mainly duet o the distinct lack of atmosphere in that venue, organisers have got to change this to attract more viewers to the sport

kolo2007 wrote:
    the las vegas darts tournament has to go down as one of the most uninteresting darts tournament i have watched in the last couple of years mainly duet o the distinct lack of atmosphere in that venue, organisers have got to change this to attract more viewers to the sport

I agree about the atmosphere, it's terrible in Vegas and there are very small crowds but this is the only tournament on the PDC circuit that is like that. It is because it is in America and is so far away from England and Ireland that you get very few people travelling over from this part of the world. Darts is not a huge sport in America and so with all the other events that are going on in Vegas it doesn't catch the attention of the general person. Vegas is my least favourite tournament and I'm surprised that the PDC have stuck with Vegas when they could have a major in Holland instead.

Anyway results of the semi-finals and finals:
    Las Vegas Desert Classic VI Semi-Finals
    Terry Jenkins 11-8 Peter Manley
    Raymond van Barneveld 11-7 John Part

Manley was never really in his match despite the close score-line. Jenkins really should have won by more. Again it's Manleys scoring power that lets him down all the down. He hits very few 140's and 180's compared to other players so he is always playing catch up.

Part against Barney was a great match. I knew Part would give Barney a good game and the score-line flattered Barney a bit. Part missed some shots at doubles that could have made the game a lot closer. Barney was brilliant on his doubles and that's what won him the match.

Las Vegas Desert Classic VI Final
    Raymond Van Barneveld 13-6 Terry Jenkins

When Jenkins missed darts at doubles to go into the break 3-2 up I knew that he wouldn't get back into the game. Barney was scoring too heavily and Jenkins wasn't playing as well as he was in the semi-final. Barney is turning into the new Taylor as he is winning every tournament he enters. I hope somebody can emerge to challenge these two. Still well done to Barney.

well done barney,did well and virtually cruised through.
    should be a very interesting world matchplay ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

hawker27 wrote:
    well done barney,did well and virtually cruised through.
    should be a very interesting world matchplay ahead.

Here, here. Barney was awesome all week. Powered hes way by everyone. 100% check out in the first 5 legs against Part, and threw in a 130 with a bull finish. Fantastic.

I'd love him to be coming to Dublin in October looking to win the PDC grand slam. What an atmosphere that would be!

TheBigEvil wrote:
    Here, here. Barney was awesome all week. Powered hes way by everyone. 100% check out in the first 5 legs against Part, and threw in a 130 with a bull finish. Fantastic.

I'd love him to be coming to Dublin in October looking to win the PDC grand slam. What an atmosphere that would be!

taylor would love that would,nt he:D can,t see it myself.

• Advertisement

hawker27 wrote:
    taylor would love that would,nt he:D can,t see it myself.

I can't see why not at this stage but Taylor does love the matchplay. Barney is certainly the better of the two at the moment and I would have him as favourite for the matchplay. Hopefully someone other than Barney or Taylor can win it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

hawker27 wrote:
    Mason didnt travel, said he couldnt afford it.

I think Barney should be favourite for the Matchplay, but I don't think he'll win it. Sky will be pestering him non-stop about the Grand Slam, which will heap on the pressure. Plus the heat on stage at Blackpool is supposed to be incredible (remember Dennis Smith nearly passing out last year). Barney's not a great man for handling the heat. Having said that he's a handy enough draw with Ovens in Round 1 and Bates (who's recent form has dipped a little) or Andy Smith (who'll be worse off in the heat than Barney). Then it'd be one of Lewis, Beaton, Hamilton or Mick McGowan in the quarters. Beaton is playing well, but you'd have to fancy Lewis to come through. Hamilton's form has dipped since he started practicing with Taylor, and Mick McGowan's form hasnt been great in 2007.

Taylor has a pretty tough draw. Newton up first, and he's in the form of his life. Then probably Painter who had darts to beat him in Bolton, then one of Mardle, Dudbridge, Scholten or Mason. I think the loss to Dudbridge will do more than any other to wipe away the aura of invincibility he's had for over a decade now. I don't think he'll get to the semis, and therefore I think there's a real chance we'll have someone other than the big 2 collecting the trophy.

Advertisement