Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rottweiller and kitten

Options
  • 03-07-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

my uncle told me that he bought a rottweiller puppy the other day but he also has a 4 month old kitten. just wondering if it is possible the two would get along or would it be the case of them killing eachother or how cud that be prevented

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i doubt the kitten will kill the dog!! the first time the dog sees the kitten, he has to be thought not to attack the kitten, and every other time they happen to meet. eventualy they will get used to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

my rotty and my cat are great friends!! Its all a matter of them getting used to each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pick up the kitten & introduce it to the dog - my puppy rottie (10 months now) lives with my 10 cats just fine - although he is scared of the new kittens we have taken in - so I am trying to reasure him that the kittens will not kill him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw bless! Scared of a bunch of tiny kittens! It's stuff like that which makes me love animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Artmustang

clairey wrote:
    my rotty and my cat are great friends!! Its all a matter of them getting used to each other!

mine too! they'd even sleep together.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Dudess wrote:
    Aw bless! Scared of a bunch of tiny kittens! It's stuff like that which makes me love animals!

Kittens can be vicious towards animals they're scared of. When one of my current cats was a kitten with her (now deceased) sister they were frightened of the dog and used to hiss and spit and jump at him if he got too close. The dog was a black (now gray) cocker spaniel and he used to chase strange cats. He quickly learned to be afraid of the kittens.
    One day he followed me into the utility room and I closed the door. Then we both realised the kittens were in the room with us. Jedder saw the kittens and he literally started shaking with fear.
    They got used to each other and they just accept each other now

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My family had a mongrel terrier once who used to go into the cat's bed and keep the kittens warm while their mother was away. She'd lost a pup to a stillbirth a few months before the kittens were born and seemed to kind of adopt them in a sense. She was very miserable most of the time before the kittens arrived.

Dogs and cats that are strangers don't get along well, dogs and cats that are used to each other can actually get along quite well, though sometimes no amount of "getting them used to each other" works and they won't get along. Usually it's the former though from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Try not to let a game of chase the cat develop. That's what's after happening mine and even though the cats are used to the dogs by now the dogs have come to expect the cat's to run from them so that they can have their daily dose of fun.

I am sure they would not harm the cats if they caught them but try telling the cats that. :rolleyes:

Advertisement