Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiltegan

Options
  • 03-07-2007 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Thinking of moving to Kiltegan, wondering what its like as a place? Atmosphere, amenities etc. Also would it be crazy to buy a house in Kiltegan if you were plannning to work in Dublin? What is the commute like?

Anyones experiences on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That looks a fair bit out, but the AA route planner site says it's only a 1hr 10 mins drive. I'd say that's in off-peak traffic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

Commute depends on which side of Dublin you are working. East side is not too bad, ie Bray, Dun Laoire and so on but to use the n81 is not so good. I commuted from Baltinglass(5min from Kiltegan) to Dalkey for 9 years and took about 75min. I didn't mind the drive over the mountains but the the time thing got to me in the end and now i work locally. I too lived in Dublin for 8 years before i moved. Kiltegan is a nice quiet village that has won the tidy towns competition i think more than once. Then there is Humewood castle that is in the planning stages of a major redevelopment program. Don't know if this is a plus or a minus, you decide. As for things to do, there are plenty you just have to find them, but unlike living in Dublin you have to drive, though there are soom local taxis so you can enjoy that late night drink. There are some very good restaurants within 30 minutes drive, plenty of golf courses if that is your thing. maybe the thing to do is to spend a long weekend in a B&B to get some sort of feel for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Just BE AWARE...that living in Kiltegan ...really means... living Solo.

Yeah, it's a gorgeous place to live...but...most established Kiltegan people....resent/detest/totally loathe...the Dublin Influx. Usually they..are TOTALLY un-unfriendly, distant, cold , un-neighbourly and harshly judgemental. Basically...they HATE the new-comers...and they want/expect them to FAIL....hugely!!! Yeah, they LOVE selling houses to "Dublin People".....then they totally ignore / act extremely rude...towards/ boycott them. Been there...Done that!!!
    Once I asked a Local Trades Person..for a Quote...for a really small Job...he wanted E1460 to do it. A good, well-skilled person, travelling from Naas, did the SAME Job...for E200.

Just....BE AWARE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

sing_dumb wrote: »
    Just BE AWARE...that living in Kiltegan ...really means... living Solo.

Yeah, it's a gorgeous place to live...but...most established Kiltegan people....resent/detest/totally loathe...the Dublin Influx. Usually they..are TOTALLY un-unfriendly, distant, cold , un-neighbourly and harshly judgemental. Basically...they HATE the new-comers...and they want/expect them to FAIL....hugely!!! Yeah, they LOVE selling houses to "Dublin People".....then they totally ignore / act extremely rude...towards/ boycott them. Been there...Done that!!!
    Once I asked a Local Trades Person..for a Quote...for a really small Job...he wanted E1460 to do it. A good, well-skilled person, travelling from Naas, did the SAME Job...for E200.

Just....BE AWARE.

I don't think that's entirely fair, do you?!

I'm not from Kiltegan, so it doesn't really bother me, but to tar everybody with the same brush is a little extreme. Don't forget, you're going in to what was traditionally a small, close-knit community and expecting it to be the same as where you came from.

As for QUOTATIONS ('quote' is the verb) for work, local tradesmen always increase the amount, and it's up to you to bargain with them.

Moreover, with that attitude, it doesn't sound like you're really trying that hard to fit in.

Advertisement