Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei E220 - Vista 64-bit Drivers

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi all,

for those of you, who like me, have been tearing their hair out, waiting for the damn drivers to be released for Vista 64-bit. read on:

Just spotted a reply to my post earlier today on the blog below, which advises that Vodafone have a fix for 64-bit they'll be issuing in the coming days. Should also work for 3 modem:

http://www.mobileconnected.co.uk/2007/05/25/usb-modem-huawei-e220-on-vista-take-2/#comments

Here's hoping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 owenob

Hi all,
    Got my 3 DataCard today, and of course it didn't work on my HP Pavillion tx1000 Vista 64-bit laptop. Did a bit of searching and took a leap of faith in updating firmware and all that, but I can confirm that the following method works perfectly for 3 Ireland.

Install the modem as instructed by the packaging. The software will install fine, but you will get the data card invalid error if you try to connect.

Get updater.zip from the Mobile Connected Blog:
    http://www.mobileconnected.co.uk/usb-modem-huawei-e220-on-vista-take-2/
    (Direct download link: http://www.mobileconnected.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/updater.zip)

Run this and it will copy some files, all very interesting. A "Found new hardware" will appear at the bottom right. It'll try searching the Microsoft site to find drivers, but sure that's not going to work ever is it? ;-)

Meanwhile, get the Vista 64-bit drivers from here:
    http://www.nerve.org.za/e620tool/e620_e220_driver_2038.zip

This is just a ZIP with drivers for XP, 2000, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage. Open the Device Manager. The updater patch has added 2 new unknown data interfaces in the Other Devices section. Right-click each one in turn, select "Update driver software..." and point it to the WinVista64 directory you extracted from the ZIP file. This will install drivers for a 3G modem and a 3G Serial Port.

You should probably reboot at this stage, but I'm not sure if you have to or not.

Next, get the firmware update from Huawei.
    http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/list.do?type=-1&id=736
    Download the HOSTB.... one at the bottom. This worked for me - the others may work too.
    (Direct link: http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/file/download.do?f=11207&ctype=1)

Extract this and run the HOST11.107.03.00.03.B266.exe script. This will find the modem and update the firmware. This was the biggest leap of faith for me.

Now open the 3 software again and it should recognise the modem and show you the signal strength etc. Clicking connect should do the trick.

I've gotten download speeds of 1.4Mbps in the first half-hour of using it, which is nice!

Cheers
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

will this fix work using a vodafone supplied Huawei modem?
    ta

Heya dmck,
    I see no reason why not - I didn't update the 3 software at all - I just made it so that Vista could recognise the hardware...

I wish you the best of luck!
    Owen

**EDIT!*** Actually! Vodafone themselves released a Vista patch for this:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/broadband/vista/

cheers owenob,
    i tried that patch already and i still can't connect to the device, Vista recognises it as a mass storage device but not as a modem. I think that patch is just for vista 32bit use as i can't see a reference to Vista 64bit,unless i have missed something?

Thanks
    D

That's fairly possible dmck - I'd go with my route - what do you have to lose - all you have at the moment is a shiny plastic paperweight!

Owen

• Advertisement

owenob,
    Good stuff, worked a treat, i stopped short of updating the firmware though as i had a suspicsion it was only a lack of vista 64bit drivers causing the problem, which turned out to be the case.

If only vodafone would make the above fix available on their site:rolleyes:

Nice one.
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jollerbarn

Owen,

Truly great stuff.

3 in Denmark assured me that this wasn't at all possible, but this just proves it is!

I had to run the datacard updater again after flashing the dashboard in the device. Otherwise it wouldn't detect the serial device.

Anyway it works a treat, many many thanks.

dmck, jollerbarn,
    Fantastic! Delighted to be able to help.
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jollerbarn

:) Not only does this enable me to get my 3 modem working, but more importantly I have bragging rights with my colleagues who all assured me that i wouldn't work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinarinoa

i had a problem. i'm from the philippines, i follow the instruction in the updates of firmware,the vmcLite(or dashboard/device update), etc. even the vmclite? but when i tried to connect to mobile connect it can find the e220 huawei device. and when i connect to the vodafone mobile connect it said that "You must be on the Vodafone Network to make a data connection" but we don't have any vodafone network here only HSDPA. what will i do? if i tried doing the e220 dashboard update wizard (HUAWEI E220 HSDPA USB Modem was not found in the system. ) My OS is VISTA

• Advertisement

Hi tinarinoa
    What Mobile Network are you trying to connect to - Where did you get your HUAWEI E220 modem from?

The only reason that I can think of for your problem is that you are trying to use a Vodafone SIM or a Vodafone copy of the software. If there is no Vodafone network then this won't work. What network do you want to connect to? I don't know the operators in the Philippines, but I found Piltel, and Sun Cellular and Globe Telecom on Google...

Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinarinoa

Hi Good Day, I accidentally replace the dashboard/driver of huawei (mobile connect) with the Vodafone mobile connect(VMCLite_E220_DBU__v2.1.6.1). I've been searching for a solution to rollback what i have installed in the huawei. :( my dad will get angry at me :(

Ooops! :-)

I don't know how to help you there I'm afraid... Can you get in touch with the help desk of your supplier?

Best of luck with your dad!
    Owen

Advertisement