Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

HI

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get my puppy to stop going to the toilet in my kitchen at night or does it just take time. He is fine in the day goes outside no problem it just at night any help would be great. He is 5 months old is he just to young to last all night?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Hiya. My pups 5 months also but After a week we put her outside in her kennel. My recommendation for toilet training your pup is to use newspaper and if you like puppy pads. Cover the floor with the newspaper. Put down 2 or so pads for the pup to go on. There is a spray available that you spray on the pads to encourage pups to go on them. I used that with my pup Esri (she was a large pup (13 wk old GSd when we got her) so I had to use 2 pads minimum together! She got the hang of it. Also, leave only a small amount of water down for the pup. They don't need a large amount as they'll sleep most of the night through. Also bring your pup outside before you put him in for the night. Hope this helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I'm delighted that the puppy pads worked for someone :D. My puppy thought that they were for shredding!!! Picking up wet and soiled shredded puppy pads and/or newspaper wasn't fun.

We got there in the end as far a house training our pup was concerned but it took quite a while she was almost a year before she got the hang of it....

Rogueish wrote:
    I'm delighted that the puppy pads worked for someone :D. My puppy thought that they were for shredding!!! Picking up wet and soiled shredded puppy pads and/or newspaper wasn't fun.

My one did too if she was hyper! but in the end I put them over where she had soiled last and she went over and did her business on them - well half on them! lol! She has a big bladder! She got the idea of it within a night or so. Had to use 2 pads! I used the spray to help her. But even when she "missed" they were handy for cleaning up! Soaked up so much it was great!:)
    For the record, my fiancé Dave wouldn't dream of cleaning up - still doesn't! I'm the one going around with the shovel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Thanks for the help some of the books I have been reading say not to use the pads or news papers but I think ill give them a try this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

You could try crating him.
    Keep it open during the day, out his bed and food in there but at night time lock him into it. Bring him out before bed time, maybe for the first few nites bring him out int he middle of the night and of cousre bring him out as soon as you get up. He should get into the habit....

• Advertisement

The idea of the newspaper and pads is to get him fixated to them in a way and slowly lessen the newspaper area and move it closer to the door. When I did a dog training course that is what they recommend.

Advertisement