Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 HSDPA module & vs Blackberry for Email?

• 03-07-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone know much about the N95 HSDPA module? I'm interested to know what the limitations of it are. I've known early HSDPA capable devices to be limited to 1.8Mbps. How does the N95 fair? Will it handle O2's 3.6Mbps and the expected (hopeful) 7.2Mbps towards the end of the year?

Also, for those that already have N95's, how does the email functionality compare to Blackberry devices?

Cheers.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The N95 handles 3.6 Mbps. It may (unconfirmed) handle 7.2 Mbps through a firmware update, but will never support HSUPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

SachaJ wrote:
    Hi All,

Anyone know much about the N95 HSDPA module? I'm interested to know what the limitations of it are. I've known early HSDPA capable devices to be limited to 1.8Mbps. How does the N95 fair? Will it handle O2's 3.6Mbps and the expected (hopeful) 7.2Mbps towards the end of the year?

Also, for those that already have N95's, how does the email functionality compare to Blackberry devices?

Cheers.....

blackberry connect will offer push email, obviously no qwerty makes functionality not as good tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cyrus wrote:
    blackberry connect will offer push email, obviously no qwerty makes functionality not as good tho

Don't have exchange anyways so looking for something that'll do email (POP) well on the road, and has a few other features.

Like the look of the Tosh G900, but might be a bit too big in the pocket, and doesn't seem to allow VOIP over HSDPA. Samsung i600 don't look too bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

For POP and IMAP, there's a 3rd party mail client application called profimail for Symbian which is pretty good. About 20 quid.

With autostart and autoupdate and limited antispam functionality enabled you can have it buzzing at you every few minutes.

Colleague has it on his n95. I've had no problems with it on the 6600.
    Unregistered it'll let you try it out with about 3MB of mail transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There are alternative software solutions for push mail. I find that the predictive text is perfect for email too.
    I make do with forwarding my mail to meteor sms that lets of know when I have something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

another shout for profimail. great little html email app for S60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I use a Nokia E60 at the moment, using the built-in mail client and it works absolutely fine! If your provider supports IMAP (and the IDLE command), it can even do (semi-)push email. That way it also uses less data because it doesn't have to reload your mailbox every time. It just keeps the connection open and any changes, such as new mail, appear instantly on your phone. Even if you delete a mail through your webmail or something you see it disappear from the phone right away, very cool.

So, you may not need any other software if you're getting a Nokia. I'm just not sure whether the N95 email client can do all this too but it's just the standard Symbian mail client so I'm pretty sure it can...

Advertisement