Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds Schools??

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you could tell me where to find grinds schools?

I'm repeating the LC as a mature student & live in back of nowhere, so finding it very hard to find one-one grinds, so I'm just wondering where all offers grinds.

I know of the institute, but it's very expensive & I can't afford it.
    (Maybe that's the going rate for those schools, I don't know)
    Its been a long time since I've needed to know!!!

Thanks,
    Chrissie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Where do you want to attend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

if you live in the middle of nowhere, id say there wont be one of these kinda places nearby anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Chrissie

I know there isn't one near by, that's the point of posting here!!

I'd be willing to travel to Dublin or Belfast & surrounding areas for a class if I thought it'd be worthwhile.

Why does it have to be a grinds school? Why not a regular school? We had two mature students in my class & that was ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If you want a massive points score and a metric tonne of "Notes", go to a grinds school.
    If you want an Education, go to a regular school which caters for more needs other than just Academic/Leaving cert points.

• Advertisement

Naikon...one can achieve high points in a regular school too. I did way back when as did and do many others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Chrissie

Because I'm in full time employment.

I have almost zero irish, I'm sitting the exam next summer & I need an honour in it.

I have limited time to get up to cratch, so I need as much intensive study as I can get, & structured study at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If you have zero Irish then surely you're eligable to be exempt from Irish? Unless of course the reason for you having zero Irish is just because you're lazy - like 80% of the candidates.

Naikon...one can achieve high points in a regular school too. I did way back when as did and do many others!

Fair enough, I meant to say I am not disputing the fact someone cant get better results in regular school, its just that grinds schools are obsessed with "dissecting" the exam process to a somewhat unhealthy level to ensure their students get top marks whereas a "regular" school focuses on more than exams.
    Also, I know people in my school which is a VEC have got 590/600 points before without Grinds, just a solid work ethic.
    The Institute of Education and Yeats College being two prime examples of these "crammer" schools, which I am sure most of you are aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Chrissie wrote:
    Because I'm in full time employment.

I have almost zero irish, I'm sitting the exam next summer & I need an honour in it.

I have limited time to get up to cratch, so I need as much intensive study as I can get, & structured study at that.

The Institute does Christmas revision courses, Ashfield might, and Ashfield does oral preparation courses in March or something, and both of them do Easter courses. You could try the 'grinds thread sticky' for Irish grinds.

Why not go to the Gaeltacht? Obviously you're a mature student, but even taking a weeks' holidays and heading to Galway could help you a lot.

• Advertisement

Maybe a Gaelscoil for mature students?, personally, I wouldent touch the IOE or similar cram school.
    But, each to their own I suppose:D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

The Irish teacher in Yeats Galway (Samantha) is fab-a-lous (she's a pure attention-seeking, D4 wannabe though). Clare Grealy in the Institute is crap, dunno about any of the rest of the Leeson Street teachers.

Advertisement