Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Moving to Portlaoise"

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi All,

Im planning to move to Portlaoise, im looking at the houseing estate called Lake Glen which is attached to O'Moore Place, can anyone tell me what it is like to live in Lake Glen is the area ok? it is off the Mountmillick Road on the N80

All replies Welcome

Thanks
    Chris

Comments

Chris

Lakeglen is one of the older estates in the town, and certainly has a run-down look and feel to it.

Its all about personal choice and preferences of course, but Lakeglen and certainly O'Moore place would not have great reputations within the town. Growing up in the town, they were always places that you would not venture down. In fairness , location is good, 5 mins from town centre!

There's loads of newer estates being built in the town, further along the Mountmellick Road, maybe look into those.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chris2005123

ND 1978 wrote:
    Chris

Lakeglen is one of the older estates in the town, and certainly has a run-down look and feel to it.

Its all about personal choice and preferences of course, but Lakeglen and certainly O'Moore place would not have great reputations within the town. Growing up in the town, they were always places that you would not venture down. In fairness , location is good, 5 mins from town centre!

There's loads of newer estates being built in the town, further along the Mountmellick Road, maybe look into those.

Hope this helps.

Thanks ND 1978, I have Sales Agreed a house outside this area as I felt this to be best, the local garda station agreed with me also, must say something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I think the price should have told you something!!
    When most 3 beds are 220-250 and you see one advertised in that area for 140-170 you know there is a reason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Thanks ND 1978, I have Sales Agreed a house outside this area as I felt this to be best, the local garda station agreed with me also, must say something

Good move, I'm from the town and neither of those two estates would be considered by anyone who knew the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Along similiar lines. I am moving down to the Portlaoise area next year and my wife is going to be working in Portarlington. For those of you living in the area - where are the best places to live (either in the towns or a village outside For example Abbeyleix, Castletown, etc)?

Will be heading down to look at the area next month so any pointers would be good.

Ideally we would be looking for a detached bungalow/house in a quiet area (preferably not an estate).

Also is the train commute to Dublin do-able (for about 6 months)?

Apologies for the generalness of the question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

hey scouse, commute definitlely do-able, plenty people do it every day, I did it for 3 months and didn't mind it all, depends on where in the city you working, train only goes as far as heuston, if you work in city centre the luas is very handy. and commute could be done in hour and half. I used to get the 7.15 train from Portlaoise and would be in the IFSC bout 8.45/8.50
    areas handy to portlaoise and portarlington would be mountmellick/ emo/ the Heath,

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

Scouse, if you go for Emo or Portarlington itself, you'll be close to the train station. If you go for the Abbeyleix side you'll be a ten to fifteen mintute drive from a train station. Although, bear in mind that Portlaoise has more trains than Portarlington. I'd have a look at the train timetables first.
    Ps Emo is a very nice area, gorgeous views

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

scouse1990 wrote:
    Also is the train commute to Dublin do-able (for about 6 months)?

I'm taking the bus for 4 months now. It's 6:35 in Portlaoise and 7:45/8:00 in Dublin O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bettyc

please could any one tell me any thing about clonreher,portlaoise is it mostly private houses or is it council houses.and what kind of place its like im also wondering does any one know what ballcarroll estate is like in portarlington i would apprecaite it very much for you taking the time to let me know as im trying to find family tree thank you ever so much very kind regards

bettyc wrote: »
    please could any one tell me any thing about clonreher,portlaoise is it mostly private houses or is it council houses.and what kind of place its like im also wondering does any one know what ballcarroll estate is like in portarlington i would apprecaite it very much for you taking the time to let me know as im trying to find family tree thank you ever so much very kind regards
    please ther must b some 1 out ther who can answer my question iv been trying 4 months thank u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Hello bettyc.
    I live in portlaoise and clonreher is not actually in the town. Take a look at google maps and the area is the first left outside the town off the n80. It is a country area with not very many houses. What else do you want to know?

As for LAKEGLEN. Take a look at this delightful videos on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

bettyc wrote: »
    please ther must b some 1 out ther who can answer my question iv been trying 4 months thank u

never heard of ballcarrolll estate in portarlington. where in port is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I dont know port(portarlington) but ballycarrol is another country area outside portlaoise. It could be in the greater portarlington area though.

hi thank u 4 getting back 2 me i just no that its in portarlighton somewere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ILTS

There is an area called Ballycarroll about 4 miles outside Portarlington, very close to Killenard. Its a rural, country area but only a 5 min drive to the town.

hi thanks 4 ur reply have u any idea what the area is like ballycaroll its self once again thank u 4 taken time 2 reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ILTS

Its a nice enough area, a fairly narrow country road. In the last few years a few new houses have gone up, but it still retains its country feel. I grew up in area and spent many happy childhood hours with friends of mine who lived in Ballycarroll. If there is someone in particular you are looking for PM me and I'll see if I know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I lived in postlaoise prison for a few weeks .........as a soldier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

Hi

We recently moved to Portlaoise as it was near family and a central place to look for a house to buy.. it's a really nice place to live actually.. I was pleasantly surprised.

Chris2005123 - we live in the new estate on the N80 - Fairgreen.. it's very nice.. lovely houses, friendly, no scumbags etc etc. Also new Eurospar open now which is fab!! Both sadly and happily we have found a house now - in Westmeath so :fingerscrossed: if it passes all surveys etc we'll be off after Crimbo..

Abbeyleix is gorgeous - Heritage town, lovely atmosphere etc.. also really good pub - Morrisseys.. As others have noted though - nearest train station is Portlaoise (10-15mins away)

Good Luck..

TheBx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Did you sell your house in the Fairgreens or were you renting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

anyone know anything about st brigids sq in portarlington,is it a nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Lake Glen is a very rough area I wouldnt recommend it!

Advertisement