Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North west Electronics using BT wireless modem

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

A friend of mine would like to use a BT broadband wireless modem for internet access through his current NWE connection..
    BT don't provide broadband in his locality.

The connection is made through an ethernet cable connected to an external dish.

what he would like is to connect the ethernet cable to the modem, and then access it from his wireless enabled laptop.

any ideas on what he should do?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A friend of mine would like to use a BT broadband wireless modem for internet access through his current NWE connection..
    BT don't provide broadband in his locality.

The connection is made through an ethernet cable connected to an external dish.

what he would like is to connect the ethernet cable to the modem, and then access it from his wireless enabled laptop.

any ideas on what he should do?

You're best bet wpuld be to ask in the broadband forum or somewhere in tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 John Doherty

i would post again, in the broadband section, but seems i already posted 3 threads, don't want to push my luck.
    can't seem to delete those other threads..accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The mods should be able to move this to the BB section for you where it would have a better chance of being answered.

I know that I am using an Eircom modem with a BT connection at home. Had to change the creds but it worked.

Not sure about using a dish with it though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should be able to edit them. Just change the title to "delete" or someting like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

To answer the original Question - Probably not...

The BT job is most likely a DSL modem and will not work for what you want to do as NWE provide an Ethernet connection as opposed to DSL.

A Linksys WRT54G or similar will do the job and will cost you about €60 from PC world, Komplett.ie etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

i would post again, in the broadband section, but seems i already posted 3 threads, don't want to push my luck.
    can't seem to delete those other threads..accident.
    Have patience. Wait for the page to load. No need to hit refresh every couple of seconds.

I'll move this on to the BB forum

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or Argos who call them Cable Routers.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

watty wrote:
    Or Argos who call them Cable Routers.
    I find that annoying, and surely confusing to the customer?

Advertisement