Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transmit Telephone...

Options
  • 03-07-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello,
    Not sure where to post this..

Have a question.....:

I am only asking as there seems to be products to solve every kind of setup so was wondering if this existed:

I have a single phone terminal point... RJ-11 that exits on an ATA box that connects to a fibre to the home connection giving me analog interface to a VoIP solution provided by Magent network...

Now this is all working perfectly.. however I need two telephone points (one for house alarm and one for sky/tv)

Needless to say they are far away from each other so running a cable is a horrible messy proposition for me... (before anyone asks getting a second ATA is out of the question also as it is a separate phone number/line/cost)

So .. based on all the mad little boxes of tricks i have seen in places like maplins and homeautomation etc...

Does anyone know if there was something to say plug into the RJ -11 socket that would allow me to wirelessly send/receive to/from another point in the house.. ??? ;)

In Room 1
    ATA->RJ-11 Splitter -> Connection1 -> HomeAlarm
    -> Connection2 -> MagicBoxA

In Room 2

MagicBoxB -> SkyTV

So sky would connect via RJ-11 into this MagicBoxB and it would act as if it were connected directly to the splitter... maybe via some wireless signal etc...:confused:

Does such a thing exist or should I start getting ready to run one long cable from room1 to room2....:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

How about this ? http://www.oneforall-int.com/?pag=39&prodnr=102 This will work for phones, but i dont think u can use a house alarm or a sky box with VoIP / ATA because the quality isnt good enough. Similarly you couldnt connect a fax machine to your ata adapter and expect to send faxes.

AFAIK you will need an actual eircom landline for your alarm and skybox to work. (Sky box will still work, you just wont be able to order PPV through the box)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Thats what they tell you ;-)

Got sky installed yesterday and it "called home" fine... (i dragged my ata out of the closet over to the living room to get this to work)

My house alarm on a couple of tests sucessfully operated the dialler ... no problems there either...

So ATA works fine for me !! and I've tested it in both scenarios... just cant clone it to work beside tv AND alarm hence need for solution like this...

Just checked that link.. perfect... exactly what i need !!!
    Cheers

-A

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

thats good to know :) ive seen them gadgets in power city, around 100 euro i think

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

For security you are better running a cable from the ATA to the Alarm Panel to the Sky Box and house phones.

Wiring the line through the dialler to give Line seizure should it activate.

If you parallel the devices, and happen to leave phone off the hook accidentally, the alarm dialler cannot dial.

Also in the event of a power cut, does your ATA still work? If not your alarm won't be able to dial out.

You might want to consider connecting you ATA to a UPS.

Advertisement