Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accomodation booking in advance?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

hey,
    just wondering have ye people made bookings for accomodation near the college uv applied for or for the campus of the college of choice... ive been advised to make reservations for my top 3 choices at least. is that not a little unneccessary??

or am i gonna be forced to take shelter in a shop doorway on a cardboard box due to my lack of reservation????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I know I applied for accomodation in DCU back in march when applications were open but that's not to say it's too late. Simply put, if you want accomodation, apply for it, ASAP. Why wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

see im not sure im gonna get my place due to lack of points n i dont wanna be the one to hinder someone who have the points n the course they want finding somewhere to live...

goona go do my research n find somewhere to apply to me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

when can you apply for accomodation for TCD, can't find it anywhere and wheres the application forms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

fionated7 wrote:
    hey,
    just wondering have ye people made bookings for accomodation near the college uv applied for or for the campus of the college of choice... ive been advised to make reservations for my top 3 choices at least. is that not a little unneccessary??

or am i gonna be forced to take shelter in a shop doorway on a cardboard box due to my lack of reservation????
    where do you intend going to college?

fionated7 wrote:
    see im not sure im gonna get my place due to lack of points n i dont wanna be the one to hinder someone who have the points n the course they want finding somewhere to live...

goona go do my research n find somewhere to apply to me thinks
    well obviously this might differ slightly from place to place (and prob entirely for off campus accomodation) but at DCU, no one gets a place until the CAO comes out and you have a place, before then you're just on the list.

seriously, do some research but in any case where it costs you nothing to apply, do it straightaway, you can always drop it later, and no one misses out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Lucas10101 wrote:
    when can you apply for accomodation for TCD, can't find it anywhere and wheres the application forms?

You cant apply for TCD accomadation(trinity hall?) until youre accepted.A form will appear on their website if you get into trinity. Obviously if you want private accomadation its a different story.

Also to the OP, depends on the college and anyways if you cant take the place someone will take it up quicksharp anyways.

where do you intend going to college?

limerick, mary i is my first choice
    st pats in dublin is second
    cork third...

if i get st pats it wont be as bad a problem as i cud possibly commute for a while until i get i get myself sorted... but if im lucky enough to get my first choice, limerick is far away from arklow!!

iv been lookin at a few places in limerick over the net but most r looking for €350 deposits n im not sure if thats refunded if u dont get ur college place???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

fionated7 wrote:
    ... i dont wanna be the one to hinder someone who have the points n the course they want finding somewhere to live...
    Nice you're so considerate. You could easily get the points you need. If not, you can tell the landlord or college and anyone on 'standby' won't mind taking your place. I'm sure it happens every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

fionated7 wrote:
    cork third...

if i get st pats it wont be as bad a problem as i cud possibly commute for a while until i get i get myself sorted... but if im lucky enough to get my first choice, limerick is far away from arklow!!

iv been lookin at a few places in limerick over the net but most r looking for €350 deposits n im not sure if thats refunded if u dont get ur college place???
    As far as I know, UL offer all first year students accommodation places. However I do think you have left it too late to be guarenteed a campus managed complex.

I've had my accomodation booked and paid for since March, if I don't get the points I need then I get 2/3 of the deposit back.

fair play for knowing what u wantd to do all the way back in march and where u wanted to go... i wish i was a decisive person, then i wouldnt have this prob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

March?!? Jaysus...

UCD dosen't accept applications till after the CAO offers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

hey op, i'm heading into 2nd year at Mary I.

My best advice for ya is to look at a place called Courtbrack Student Accommodation and book a place there as soon as you can! i booked mine straight after the leaving!! it mighn't really make a difference- dont know!

I was there for first year, its brill for getting to know other 1st years. The place is a hostel during the summer, so bout 90 students live in the place! there's a communal kitchen and sitting room, but you have your own bedroom, and share a bathroom with bout 5 other people. Rooms aren't massive unless you go for a deleux, but it does the job!!

this is the website - www.courtbrackaccom.com and click on student. It'll tell you everything

Your a 5 min walk from the college, 20 mins from the city centre. I'd really consider it. It made my first year of college brilliant - always someone to talk to, ask for help, or even go on a night out with.

Whatever you do, do NOT go for on-campus (i.e res. block) its a pure kip!!!!!!!!!

Across from courtbrack there's Ashdown Student Accommodation, its apartments, again same distance to college and city. this is the website - www.ashdownvillage.ie

Another place is City Campus, its apartments as well. bout a 15min walk from college, but very near the city. don't know much bout them but this is the website - www.citycampus.ie

Hope this helped, send me a pm if you wanna know anymore! :)

And advice to all of ye heading to college - make a big effort to make friends in the first few weeks - its so much easier!! And def make the most of ye're Freshers Week, makes college so much handier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

oh and you'll get a majority of your deposit back from courtbrack if you don't get your place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

karmabass wrote:
    March?!? Jaysus...

UCD dosen't accept applications till after the CAO offers..
    Wherabouts are you from, as a matter of interest?

thanks unreg123,
    off i go to make enquires

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

cocoa wrote:
    well obviously this might differ slightly from place to place (and prob entirely for off campus accomodation) but at DCU, no one gets a place until the CAO comes out and you have a place, before then you're just on the list.

seriously, do some research but in any case where it costs you nothing to apply, do it straightaway, you can always drop it later, and no one misses out.

I applied for DCU campus accomodation when I thought thats where I was going to go. I ended up being asked for a deposit before the exams had even taken place but at that stage I knew I wasn't going there. I know that you get the deposit back if you don't get a place in the college.

eve wrote:
    I applied for DCU campus accomodation when I thought thats where I was going to go. I ended up being asked for a deposit before the exams had even taken place but at that stage I knew I wasn't going there. I know that you get the deposit back if you don't get a place in the college.
    is that this year? because I wasn't asked for a deposit... best get in touch with them to make sure I'm down, I've still got the e-mail saying i'm listed though... +were you applying to larkfield as well, or a different unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

fionated7 wrote:
    cork third...

I know a few people that are in college in limerick, there is plenty of private accomidation, i am currently living 100m from st. pats for the summer, i stayed on their campus for a night last year, wouldn't like to like there myself! id much prefer a house, but if you are a first year, it shouldnt bo too hard to get on campus. Dont know a thing about cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FrozenUp

I was under the impression most places didn't accept people for accommodation until after the CAO, like UCD and DCU as mentioned earlier. I wish there were more palces like Maynooth which give you the accommodation if you get over 500 points.

ucc campus is fully booked, havent looked into anywhere in the surrounding area..

ashdown village in limerick is also fully booked and im waiting for replies from the rest of em...

yeah my guidance teacher told me months ago that nowhere will except bookings until after cao offers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Raphael wrote:
    Wherabouts are you from, as a matter of interest?

30 miles from dublin.. Wicklow Town... don't laugh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

If you live in Leinster, you've actually zero chance of getting accomodation on campus in UCD. Unless you're going for a scholarship of course.....he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I live roughly 20 miles from Dublin city centre.
    20 miles to DIT everyday, no problem:)
    Train ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Does anyone know if Galway accomodation is full yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You shouldn't have any problem finding accomodation in any of the privately run complexes once the CAO offers are out. I know of a few places (in Cork) that cunningly only accept bookings after the 2nd round of offers from students who are desperate for accomodation and willing to pay way over the going rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Does anyone know if Galway accomodation is full yet?

Probably most of the decent places and rooms. Probably still rooms in places like Corrib village and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

karmabass wrote:
    30 miles from dublin.. Wicklow Town... don't laugh :(
    Not a snowballs chance in hell of getting it. The Leinster thing isn't true though, I got it but I'm three hours away and spent a few weeks on the cancelation list, You won't, commute or go external is your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Rafa, Impossible for people from Carlow to get accomodation then apparently because of the train. There's a train from Wexford though isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Loads of places left in Corrib Village, Cuirt na Coiribe etc. There'll always be places in Galway anyway, not as crazy as Dublin..yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

fionated7 wrote:
    cork third...

I applied for on campus accomodation at mary i last week and the woman i was talking to said i got one of the last rooms so id apply asap if i was you. you have to pay 750 deposit and you get 650 back .also courtback accommodation is full i tried it first because as someone said earlier on campus is horrible but i dont care il put up with it for a year if i need to, im hoping to go to dublin anyway You cant apply to st. pats for accommodation until you are offered a place there and then its random selection not first come.

Advertisement