Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 euro build

Options
  • 03-07-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need some advice on the SLI setup of this system. Is it cool just to drop two cards into an SLI board. It's not like crossfire where you needed a master and slave job?

Also I know it's an OTT build, but that's what my uncle wants. But I am really open to suggestions on improving it. He play's flight sims alot and he can never get rid of some slow down, I think it's because the software he is using is hardcore stuff. I'm not into flight sims so I'm lost. But he has 5 grand to spend on a PC and he was going to buy of Dell, but he changed his mind and want's a custom built one.

Personally i think the ultras are overkill, and his flight sim game won't use the 4 cores etc.. but he needs every frame he can get I guess.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=478530&su=592DE604-1C3E-4970-9577-984EEB090D12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Tell your uncle to give 2k to dell for a xps, and take the other 3k to the damn and blow it on hookers and coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

he should buy a light airplane for that money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Anti wrote:
    Tell your uncle to give 2k to dell for a xps, and take the other 3k to the damn and blow it on hookers and coke

i wish :)

he was quoted 5000 euro by Dell for some XPS watercooled system.

he really wants this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Two 8800 GTXs in SLi can be had for just shy of a grand. Stick another 2k into buying some tasty components and you're done. I wouldn't waste 5k on a machine, even if you have the money. Spend smart, don't spend big.

EDIT: I think you are confusing expensive with better performance, which is not always true. If he is playing flight systems, then he needs high end hardware, especially GFX cards. Unfortunately, alot of what you have picked out is for hardcore overclockers. He doesn't need an asus striker, or a QX6700. Buy the un-extreme kentsfield and a decent SLi mobo. Also, please for the love of God ditch the Ultras and get stock GTXs. They are phenomenal cards that with a bit of patience and tweaking can match the Ultras which are overpriced marketing gimmicks designed to sucker in poor saps like yourself.

I'm sorry to sound so unhelpful, but its a waste of money rather than buying the stuff he does need. I'm not suggesting going out and buying an iQon, but I'm more than happy to offer advice buying components that will play his flight sims (which ones?) really well, and also being able to say "here is some change left over". Sure if you save 2k, maybe he will give it to you and you can build your own rig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

bubonicus wrote:
    i wish :)

he was quoted 5000 euro by Dell for some XPS watercooled system.

he really wants this.

Two ultras is stupid. Especially when he clearly hasn't a clue what he's doing and just wants to throw away money!

Although if he's absolutely minted then why not.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Two 8800 GTXs in SLi can be had for just shy of a grand. Stick another 2k into buying some tasty components and you're done. I wouldn't waste 5k on a machine, even if you have the money. Spend smart, don't spend big.

EDIT: I think you are confusing expensive with better performance, which is not always true. If he is playing flight systems, then he needs high end hardware, especially GFX cards. Unfortunately, alot of what you have picked out is for hardcore overclockers. He doesn't need an asus striker, or a QX6700. Buy the un-extreme kentsfield and a decent SLi mobo. Also, please for the love of God ditch the Ultras and get stock GTXs. They are phenomenal cards that with a bit of patience and tweaking can match the Ultras which are overpriced marketing gimmicks designed to sucker in poor saps like yourself.

I'm sorry to sound so unhelpful, but its a waste of money rather than buying the stuff he does need. I'm not suggesting going out and buying an iQon, but I'm more than happy to offer advice buying components that will play his flight sims (which ones?) really well, and also being able to say "here is some change left over". Sure if you save 2k, maybe he will give it to you and you can build your own rig.

I know all of the above, I build all my own machine's and my mates. This machine is for my uncle and me personally wouldn't go near a quad core or an ultra at the moment, he doesn't really listen to my advice. I have made up another machine for about 2,800 euro, with 1 GTX and a dual core etc... I am going to show him both. But what should I say to him, he will not really see any difference??:(

I'm not sure which flight sims he plays, but he has addons for real air traffic and cockpit mods. if that helps.

So could you please point me to the "right" hardware and not just the expensive stuff.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    "They are phenomenal cards that with a bit of patience and tweaking can match the Ultras which are overpriced marketing gimmicks designed to sucker in poor saps like yourself.".

I kinda take exception to that remark, but I don't think you read my post correctly.:D I really do know better. saps like my uncle would have been better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Something like this is what you need, and thats just the default options!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

DirkVoodoo wrote:

Indeed. 3K will get you every last fps you can get if you're willing to watercool and overclock. For his purposes, he'd probably be better off with a heavily overclocked dual core.

bubonicus wrote:
    I kinda take exception to that remark, but I don't think you read my post correctly.:D I really do know better. saps like my uncle would have been better :D

Haha, sorry. I didn't read that part...I saw the first few lines and eagerly clicked reply with my fingers at the ready.

I say, take the 5k. Build him a dual 8800GTX rig with a Q6600 and stick it in that very nice P180. Let him see how good it is without telling him what components are there. Then hand him the 2k left over......in 5 euro notes, wrapped in a big dirty rubber band :).

Khannie wrote:
    Indeed. 3K will get you every last fps you can get if you're willing to watercool and overclock. For his purposes, he'd probably be better off with a heavily overclocked dual core.

he couldn't overclock his watch to be honest. So i need to build him something thats ready to run when he gets it. but he does seem interested in watercooling, but strictly as a noise reduction thing. but don't the res's "gurgle".

But i can still build him a dual core setup with overclocking and watercooling.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Haha, sorry. I didn't read that part...I saw the first few lines and eagerly clicked reply with my fingers at the ready.

I say, take the 5k. Build him a dual 8800GTX rig with a Q6600 and stick it in that very nice P180. Let him see how good it is without telling him what components are there. Then hand him the 2k left over......in 5 euro notes, wrapped in a big dirty rubber band :).

hehe, no prob, kinda figured that:D

Yeah i could do that. But you gotta understand I need a machine that will not drop any FPS at that crucial landing.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

5k... listen tell your uncle to use that 5k to put himself through flight school. Then he'll be able to fly in RL... owww

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Just been reading around and it seems Flight Simulator X (taking a guess here) is a resource hog in the old fashioned sense. I'm not sure if it can utilise SLi or multi-core properly.

Link

Seems like a lot of forum buzz is pointing towards Vista and DX10 for improvements. So, as swampy said, ditch XP also and get Vista, it is a microsoft game after all so it makes sense.

Of course, if he aint playin FSX then im just rambling on....

cheers, i'll talk to him tonight and see what game he runs. but he did mention he wanted to keep XP. but if it's FSX, i'll tell him otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Tell ya what. Give me 5k. Il build his a simply amazing pc. I will even mod it to whatever theme he wants. And me and you can split whats left and head to the dam ourselfs for a weekend :p

oh my uncle can't walk nevermind really fly a plane:o

Original question too, some may have missed:-

Need some advice on the SLI setup of this system. Is it cool just to drop two cards into an SLI board. It's not like crossfire where you needed a master and slave job???

Anti wrote:
    Tell ya what. Give me 5k. Il build his a simply amazing pc. I will even mod it to whatever theme he wants. And me and you can split whats left and head to the dam ourselfs for a weekend :p

i really might take you up on that:D i'm not messing, you can have the hookers and i'll have the weed:D

give me a spec so?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

A 5K build with one 150GB HDD?? Seems a little light. If performance is everything, what are you not proposing 2/3/4 Raptors in RAID 0?

Only 2GB RAM??? And XP Home???

Why the two different model DVD drives? Surely you'd buy two of the best model available?

And the Striker - hardly the best mobo out there - what about that Black Pearl - surely at almost £400 it has to be the best! Means you have to water cool, but isn't that the best?

Best, best, best!

You say you build your own machines and that your uncle 'couldn't overclock his watch' - I take it then your uncle knows little or nothing about PC's but yet he can dictate this spec to you?

I smell male cow droppings!

No, two identical cards (as in two 8800 GTX) popped in and linked with the SLi bridge.

My dad was also big into flight sims...couldnt get him away from IL2 Sturmovik when it came out :D.

Watercooling isn't always quiet, he is best off getting a real quiet air cooler and some akasa amber or similar case fans.

Just been reading around and it seems Flight Simulator X (taking a guess here) is a resource hog in the old fashioned sense. I'm not sure if it can utilise SLi or multi-core properly.

Link

Seems like a lot of forum buzz is pointing towards Vista and DX10 for improvements. So, as swampy said, ditch XP also and get Vista, it is a microsoft game after all so it makes sense.

Of course, if he aint playin FSX then im just rambling on....

SwampThing wrote:
    A 5K build with one 150GB HDD?? Seems a little light. If performance is everything, what are you not proposing 2/3/4 Raptors in RAID 0?

there was a 500gb there too, but I really think all the raids in the world won't help improve fps
    Only 2GB RAM??? And XP Home???
    XP home because that's what he wanted and 4 gigs is wasted in XP.
    Why the two different model DVD drives? Surely you'd buy two of the best model available?
    again I don't think the brand of DVD player is going to effect his FPS.
    And the Striker - hardly the best mobo out there - what about that Black Pearl - surely at almost £400 it has to be the best! Means you have to water cool, but isn't that the best?

Best, best, best!

nice board alright, nice, nice, nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You say you build your own machines and that your uncle 'couldn't overclock his watch' - I take it then your uncle knows little or nothing about PC's but yet he can dictate this spec to you?

I smell male cow droppings!

O.k. , he knows what he see's in the glossy mags and dell catalogues. and having lots of ram on a GFX card is a good thing:p(just to be safe, and people don't jump down my neck, JOKE) . but he really knows nothing. he did not dictate the spec, he dictated the price.

I smell a very unhelpful post, you should really take the time to read all posts carefully before posting. and as usual on boards, someone asks a question and gets accusations and smart ass comments. cheers.:D

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    No, two identical cards (as in two 8800 GTX) popped in and linked with the SLi bridge.

My dad was also big into flight sims...couldnt get him away from IL2 Sturmovik when it came out :D.

Watercooling isn't always quiet, he is best off getting a real quiet air cooler and some akasa amber or similar case fans.

thanks.

i guessed so, he thinks watercooling is the new buz thing i guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

I think my post was helpful! I think i've pointed out a few flaws in your super-duper build, don't you?

There's something not quite right about this - you're looking for pure fps performance for a flight sim, right? Well, you got the best advice you're gonna get right here..
    DirkVoodoo wrote:
    EDIT: I think you are confusing expensive with better performance, which is not always true. If he is playing flight systems, then he needs high end hardware, especially GFX cards. Unfortunately, alot of what you have picked out is for hardcore overclockers. He doesn't need an asus striker, or a QX6700. Buy the un-extreme kentsfield and a decent SLi mobo. Also, please for the love of God ditch the Ultras and get stock GTXs. They are phenomenal cards that with a bit of patience and tweaking can match the Ultras

You've built machines - I would think you'd point out the errors in some of the choices your uncle has made.
    If your uncle is adamant about what he wants, then surely you just go buy it, build it and not question it? You say he doesn't listen to your advice!

I still think this is sus, but if it's legit, my apologies for being sarcastic - becasue I was being ultra sarcastic.

SwampThing wrote:
    I think my post was helpful! I think i've pointed out a few flaws in your super-duper build, don't you?

There's something not quite right about this - you're looking for pure fps performance for a flight sim, right? Well, you got the best advice you're gonna get right here..

You've built machines - I would think you'd point out the errors in some of the choices your uncle has made.
    If your uncle is adamant about what he wants, then surely you just go buy it, build it and not question it? You say he doesn't listen to your advice!

I still think this is sus, but if it's legit, my apologies for being sarcastic - becasue I was being ultra sarcastic.

I'm at a lose at what you find sus?

but let me try and explain.

I chose the machine, i picked the parts based on what i could get for 5000 euro. I know the cpu and board are good for overclocking but they are also very good at stock and will make sure there's no bottlenecks in the system, also the ultras are pricey for an extra fps or two over the GTX, but he has the money and I reckon if he can afford it then why not.

i have made up a similar machine with one gtx and the un-xtreme cpu, and it came out at 2,800 euro. I will also show him this.

but I was kinda looking for more specific parts(reasons) on what would be best for fps.

i think you are just jealous that he will have a better machine than your sig.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Holy sweet flying catfish! I wish I had that sorta dosh to drop on a system. Anyway I'll try my hand at a spec:
    -Q6600
    -Evga 680i or DFI 680i (probably the best two 680i's esp. for clocking quads)
    -8800GTX SLI
    -2 raptors Raid-0 array
    -~500GB of storage maybe Samsungs
    -4GB good ram (G.Skill HZ, Crucial Ballistix PC8500 etc.)
    -Good 800W+ PSU (PCP+P, Seasonic, Thermaltake's newer models, take a look at jonnyguru.com)
    -Custom dual loop (one for GFX, one for CPU) Watercooling e.g. ;Apogee GTX, Swiftech Stealth 8800 x2, Thermochill PA120.3 x2, Laing DDC3.2 with custom top x2, nice res', whatever fans you see fit (Yate Loons FTW!), whatever tubing size you want (I recommend 7/16"ID 5/8"OD)
    -Big case to fit all that such as a Lian-Li V2000
    Alternatively switch out the GTX's for HD2900XT's in Crossfire and get a better P35 based board e.g. Abit IP35 Pro and save some money too. That would all come to <3k I'd say. Add a 24" monitor and you'll be well under 4000.

Also I'd just like to say, let the man get an expensive sytem if he wants it, he wants the best performance, no crime in that. If you think he's OTT check out some of the guys @ XtremeSytems like kinp1n etc they use Mobo's and RAM as toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Get the quad if your uncle is playing flight simulator X.

Custom PC funnily enough has a wee article on simulators for the PC in this months edition, they have a wee sub article where they asked Scan to put together a PC to play Flight Sim X as best as possible.

A quad made a huge difference over a dual core to the amount of detail on screen, as FS X supports multi threading.

They also used 1 nvidia 8800 Ultra, as FS X does not support SLI yet.
    (SLI is not necessarily all that crazy an idea if they decide to support it in a later patch, but for now not worth it)

They also added 4 gig of ram and ram FS X on a 64bit OS, the extra ram gain made a huge difference.

What is scary though, is that they still couldn't set the game to full settings @ 1920 x 1200 with a quad@2.66 Ghz, 4 gig of ram and a 8800 Ultra.

So all in all, your uncle is not actually being daft!:eek:

jonny72 wrote:

Holy sweet jesus, i hope that's not what he meant :D

impressive all the same.

nibble wrote:
    Holy sweet flying catfish! I wish I had that sorta dosh to drop on a system. Anyway I'll try my hand at a spec:
    -Q6600
    -Evga 680i or DFI 680i (probably the best two 680i's esp. for clocking quads)
    -8800GTX SLI
    -2 raptors Raid-0 array
    -~500GB of storage maybe Samsungs
    -4GB good ram (G.Skill HZ, Crucial Ballistix PC8500 etc.)
    -Good 800W+ PSU (PCP+P, Seasonic, Thermaltake's newer models, take a look at jonnyguru.com)
    -Custom dual loop (one for GFX, one for CPU) Watercooling e.g. ;Apogee GTX, Swiftech Stealth 8800 x2, Thermochill PA120.3 x2, Laing DDC3.2 with custom top x2, nice res', whatever fans you see fit (Yate Loons FTW!), whatever tubing size you want (I recommend 7/16"ID 5/8"OD)
    -Big case to fit all that such as a Lian-Li V2000
    Alternatively switch out the GTX's for HD2900XT's in Crossfire and get a better P35 based board e.g. Abit IP35 Pro and save some money too. That would all come to <3k I'd say. Add a 24" monitor and you'll be well under 4000.

Also I'd just like to say, let the man get an expensive sytem if he wants it, he wants the best performance, no crime in that. If you think he's OTT check out some of the guys @ XtremeSytems like kinp1n etc they use Mobo's and RAM as toilet paper.

Nice reply Nibble. Thanks, i'll spec that one up for him also :)

uberpixie wrote:
    Get the quad if your uncle is playing flight simulator X.

Custom PC funnily enough has a wee article on simulators for the PC in this months edition, they have a wee sub article where they asked Scan to put together a PC to play Flight Sim X as best as possible.

A quad made a huge difference over a dual core to the amount of detail on screen, as FS X supports multi threading.

They also used 1 nvidia 8800 Ultra, as FS X does not support SLI yet.
    (SLI is not necessarily all that crazy an idea if they decide to support it in a later patch, but for now not worth it)

They also added 4 gig of ram and ram FS X on a 64bit OS, the extra ram gain made a huge difference.

What is scary though, is that they still couldn't set the game to full settings @ 1920 x 1200 with a quad@2.66 Ghz, 4 gig of ram and a 8800 Ultra.

So all in all, your uncle is not actually being daft!:eek:

Flipping hell, that's madness, good info though, it's crazy amount of power to need. i guess i'm not far of the mark so. I've changed it around a bit though.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=478530&su=592DE604-1C3E-4970-9577-984EEB090D12

• Advertisement

Get a 20/22" monitor running 1680x1050 resolution. Its still plenty big to enjoy a flight sim and it will proved much better performance over a 1920x1200 resolution monitor.

"Also I'd just like to say, let the man get an expensive sytem if he wants it, he wants the best performance, no crime in that. If you think he's OTT check out some of the guys @ XtremeSytems like kinp1n etc they use Mobo's and RAM as toilet paper."

I don't know what nibble means by this, as you have said your uncle would not know how to overclock a watch, so comparing his choice to fanatical overclockers isn't really justified. Also, any FPS over 30 can be considered "smooth", and remember that most monitors are limited to 60/75Hz, so don't be dreaming about a rig that can play FSX above this (altho it seems most ppl struggle with over 30).

Advertisement