Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 euro build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Get a 20/22" monitor running 1680x1050 resolution. Its still plenty big to enjoy a flight sim and it will proved much better performance over a 1920x1200 resolution monitor.

"Also I'd just like to say, let the man get an expensive sytem if he wants it, he wants the best performance, no crime in that. If you think he's OTT check out some of the guys @ XtremeSytems like kinp1n etc they use Mobo's and RAM as toilet paper."

I don't know what nibble means by this, as you have said your uncle would not know how to overclock a watch, so comparing his choice to fanatical overclockers isn't really justified. Also, any FPS over 30 can be considered "smooth", and remember that most monitors are limited to 60/75Hz, so don't be dreaming about a rig that can play FSX above this (altho it seems most ppl struggle with over 30).
    Why isn't it justified? They're hardcore overclockers/benchers and his uncle could be seen as a hardcore flight sim fanatic, in that respect the money spent would be justified. I would suggest that you overclock the system for your uncle, bubonicus, there is a lot to be gained as I am sure you know. Flight Sims involve a lot of geometry and physics so the CPU will carry a lot of weight and as uberpixie said more cores will help. Off Topic how much is a copy of CustomPC these days? haven't bought it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nibble wrote:
    Why isn't it justified? They're hardcore overclockers/benchers and his uncle could be seen as a hardcore flight sim fanatic, in that respect the money spent would be justified. I would suggest that you overclock the system for your uncle, bubonicus, there is a lot to be gained as I am sure you know. Flight Sims involve a lot of geometry and physics so the CPU will carry a lot of weight and as uberpixie said more cores will help. Off Topic how much is a copy of CustomPC these days? haven't bought it in ages.

AROUND 8 E

awhir wrote:
    AROUND 8 E
    Jeez pricey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As a flightsimmer I can tell you that FSX and FS9 are severely bottlenecked by CPU - doesn't matter what GFX youy have. As such get the best possible CPU available (namely QX6800) and get 4GB RAM whether you think its wasted or naot. It'll make a difference. You have the money for this in €5,000 too :).

Stay with XP home, a very good choice 9or maybe pro dependinghow much extra it is) - cockpit mods (Squawkbox www.squawkbox.ca or FSInn www.mcdu.com) haven't been properly developed to work flawlessly with Vista. Yet.

Have a look here for more info on nice FS systems (have a browse, he's built better even since) http://forums.ifsd.ie/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9628 i'd join up and ask a few questions before making a solid recc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

sdonn_1 wrote:
    As a flightsimmer I can tell you that FSX and FS9 are severely bottlenecked by CPU - doesn't matter what GFX youy have.

If it can make good use of multi cores Maybe a workstaion board with dual xeons and loadsa ram would be worth considering then and just a single gtx.

OCTOCORE, (imagine a deep and scary voice uttering this phrase)
    drool :eek:
    Anyway just an idea

You could make a theme of it 8 cores 8gb ram ummm 800 euro gfx card.. ok now i'm struggling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

didn't custom pc so a section this month on building a flight sim pc and i think someone from scan.co.uk built one especially for flight sim for them, maybe it'd be worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Get him an amazing surround sound system.

That is if he doesn't use a headset. I've no idea what you use for FS tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI2Miw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Read above link.

Also, how can ye recommend XP? Are you aware that FSX: Adrenaline will make use of DX10 and Vista?

drool :eek:
    Anyway just an idea

eww i just watched transformers :D and that name reminds me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

In your current build, I'd ditch the ultras for 2 GTX's and get some watercooling on the go. Not only will it be silent, but it'll also allow you to overclock the bejaysus out of the processor.

edit: If CPU power is the real limit, I'd suggest considering someone elses idea of a dual quad core system. Not sure if you can get dual socket 775 boards though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

here what i'd go for that (ridiculous) amount of money

core quad 6700
    2x 1500rpm hdd in raid0
    1tb western digital for storage
    vista ultiate 64 bit
    8 gig ram
    2 x 8800 gtx
    37' toshiba screen full hd 1080p

now that would be a system....boy oh boy...

I wouldn't get raptors, frankly if you want a quiet system, steer clear and most 7200 rpm drives with 16MB cache are just as good and a lot cheaper.

Vista Ultimate is overrated and overpriced, home premium strikes a nice cost/feature balance.

4GB RAM is enough for Vista64

I'd say 2 8800GTX would struggle with a 37" display.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I wouldn't get raptors, frankly if you want a quiet system, steer clear and most 7200 rpm drives with 16MB cache are just as good and a lot cheaper.

Vista Ultimate is overrated and overpriced, home premium strikes a nice cost/feature balance.

4GB RAM is enough for Vista64

I'd say 2 8800GTX would struggle with a 37" display.
    Well 1080p is still only 1920x1080 so you'd be alright, and you indeed don't need Ultimate unless you need bitlocker, and if you needed FS encryption you probably wouldn't be using Vista anyway.

Ok, personally I would start here:

basketmm3.th.jpg

That comes to €2500, excl. delivery. Split the build with a "boutique" like OCUK for better selection of other parts.

Factor in maybe another grand for a large/dual monitor(s), €500 for any other bits and bobs and you still have a grand left over.

Just a thought. I mean you can go ridiculously overkill on this all for flight sims.

Oh, forgot PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU £234.99 inc VAT...ouch! You could probably get away with 750/800 Watts, I only know they recommend 450W PSU minimum for a single GTX system.

EDIT: I may have to retract all previous comments, it is VERY easy to spend 5k on a PC if you are crazy enough. Now I have the buyer's remorse.

Also:

Piper Cherokee

Works out as €13,000 excluding all other costs involved in buying planes that I just don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Ok, personally I would start here:

basketmm3.th.jpg

That comes to €2500, excl. delivery. Split the build with a "boutique" like OCUK for better selection of other parts.

Factor in maybe another grand for a large/dual monitor(s), €500 for any other bits and bobs and you still have a grand left over.

Just a thought. I mean you can go ridiculously overkill on this all for flight sims.

Oh, forgot PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU £234.99 inc VAT...ouch! You could probably get away with 750/800 Watts, I only know they recommend 450W PSU minimum for a single GTX system.

EDIT: I may have to retract all previous comments, it is VERY easy to spend 5k on a PC if you are crazy enough. Now I have the buyer's remorse.

thanks Dirk and the rest of you. I never got to speak with the uncle last night, so I'm still not sure what Flight sim's he play's.

Now taking into consideration what's been said on here. I have changed things slightly around. Still sticking with Ultras for the moment, but I think I'll change them to GTX's and get a better PSU and a thermeltake Armour case(maybe). I need to talk to him now and see what he wants to do. He did mention he wanted the 24" monitor, so I'll see what he say's.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=478530&su=592DE604-1C3E-4970-9577-984EEB090D12
    If it can make good use of multi cores Maybe a workstaion board with dual xeons and loadsa ram would be worth considering then and just a single gtx.

drool
    Anyway just an idea

You could make a theme of it 8 cores 8gb ram ummm 800 euro gfx card.. ok now i'm struggling

lol, but is this possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭cianc1

lol, but is this possible??

Yep, here's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

eugh....he wants to play games.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

would a physx card make any difference to flight games?

ASUS DSGC-DW/2GBL supports dual woodcrests...costs $680 though!

• Advertisement

I was looking at this board http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/s5000XVN/index.htm with 2 xeons 5160's ,

will a 8800gtx work in this and would the Armour case take this board?

Haven't had time to read, could be useful:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/527/2/

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Haven't had time to read, could be useful:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/527/2/

now thats an interesting article. they used 5365's, but i can get 2 5160's for cheap.

edit: just found out the 5160's are dual core only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I was thinking about and it would be very easy to blow 5k on a flight sim build.

You need to tell your uncle to concentrate on the peripherals, as they will be what really make the experience. Like a large widescreen monitor, or 3x19" monitors hooked up to a DVI TH2G. Also invest in a good surround sound system. A gaming chair and desk, and some of those uber expensive flight controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cianc1 wrote:

Got one sitting at my desk right now, with one of these 30inchers

I wish I could keep it. Stupid marketing.

If it was me, I would get a custom phase change unit and a chiller, put the phase on the quad core and the chiller looped into the 2 cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

OK, looking at you latest rig I'd make the following suggestions:

Drop:

Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front , 25 cm Fan, Super tower (Without PSU)
    Thermaltake BigWater 735, 12cm Liquid Cooling System, s BTX/775/754/939/940
    Tagan TurboJet 1100W, Dual 80mm Fan, 6xSATA, 4xPCI-E, ATX/EPS, 20/24pin

Replace with:

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS black alu front, watercooling 775/754/939/940 (w/o PSU)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326276
    Much more powerful water cooling and built in.

Seasonic M12 700W, 120mm Fan, Modular
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323037
    More then enough power for any system you can build today. Don't believe the hype telling you that you need 1000w.

Also, I'd buy from overclockers.co.uk , you'll save a few hundred on that spec

Hell, for €5,000 you can have mine, including the monitor and its only just built.

Robertr wrote:
    Hell, for €5,000 you can have mine, including the monitor and its only just built.

lol why you selling angain?

Cause I'm done building:D

• Advertisement

Robertr wrote:
    OK, looking at you latest rig I'd make the following suggestions:

Drop:

Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front , 25 cm Fan, Super tower (Without PSU)
    Thermaltake BigWater 735, 12cm Liquid Cooling System, s BTX/775/754/939/940
    Tagan TurboJet 1100W, Dual 80mm Fan, 6xSATA, 4xPCI-E, ATX/EPS, 20/24pin

Replace with:

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS black alu front, watercooling 775/754/939/940 (w/o PSU)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326276
    Much more powerful water cooling and built in.

Seasonic M12 700W, 120mm Fan, Modular
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323037
    More then enough power for any system you can build today. Don't believe the hype telling you that you need 1000w.

Also, I'd buy from overclockers.co.uk , you'll save a few hundred on that spec
    I've said it in your thread, and I'll say it again, TT watercooling=crap. Pretty much all TT stuff isn't great or even decent. Just trying to prevent wasted money, why buy pre made watercooling when you can do your own? That's why we don't by from dell etc isn't it? so we can get exactly what we want.

Advertisement