Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 euro build

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

nibble wrote:
    I've said it in your thread, and I'll say it again, TT watercooling=crap. Pretty much all TT stuff isn't great or even decent. Just trying to prevent wasted money, why buy pre made watercooling when you can do your own? That's why we don't by from dell etc isn't it? so we can get exactly what we want.

Think you forgot to say "in my opinion". Which you are entitled to, but as I said in my thread and I'll say again, this case has got great reviews. I've not seen one bad one. Also, you are basically getting all the watercooling stuff for free for the price and assembly is easy so for a watercooling novice or someon who just wants to OC the CPU (which I understand is what is required here) it is the best option on the market. "Wasted Money" would be spending 400-500 on a case and a custom built water cooling system unless you are doing some major overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Robertr wrote:
    Think you forgot to say "in my opinion". Which you are entitled to, but as I said in my thread and I'll say again, this case has got great reviews. I've not seen one bad one. Also, you are basically getting all the watercooling stuff for free for the price and assembly is easy so for a watercooling novice or someon who just wants to OC the CPU (which I understand is what is required here) it is the best option on the market. "Wasted Money" would be spending 400-500 on a case and a custom built system unless you are doing some major overclocking.

can i have the specs on the wc gear in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Robert, you can take a lot of the high spec **** out of it, I have €800 to spend. Gimme whatever you got from it. I need a pc soon. :)

Robertr wrote:
    Think you forgot to say "in my opinion". Which you are entitled to, but as I said in my thread and I'll say again, this case has got great reviews. I've not seen one bad one. Also, you are basically getting all the watercooling stuff for free for the price and assembly is easy so for a watercooling novice or someon who just wants to OC the CPU (which I understand is what is required here) it is the best option on the market. "Wasted Money" would be spending 400-500 on a case and a custom built water cooling system unless you are doing some major overclocking.

When I said "custom built system" I mean the water coolding. Not the full system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Robertr wrote:

Reviews are subjective to the amount of knowledge the reviewer has, this comes to light in most articles about the subject of water cooling. A good case and wc kit can be had for much lower then 400-500. And watercooling has other benefits beyond that of good overclock, like noise reduction. Most of the reviewers fail to mention that in around 1 years time, corrosion will eat at TT blocks in the loop and can turn the water acidic destroying seals in the loop. The performance for the price is sub par, putting it in line with good air blocks at a much higher cost with harder upkeep and a much higher risk to other parts of your build.

• Advertisement

Once you stick in a non-electrolytic coolant you should not have any problems.

Something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-020-DD&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=193

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The guy wants an uber flight sim machine and only one mention of multiple monitors in the thread. For shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Forget burning money on Ultras and Dual Xeons. What the guy needs is great peripherals. Get a G15 or some such super programmable keyboard. Get some great mouse which is to hit taste. Get a great joystick. Get a Dell 30" Screen, or 4 24" screens in portrait mode.

Theres no point burning money on the processor/gfx above a certain point, facny I/O has much greater returns than some extra pathetic 100MHz on a Gpu clock speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

krazy_8s wrote:
    Reviews are subjective to the amount of knowledge the reviewer has, this comes to light in most articles about the subject of water cooling. A good case and wc kit can be had for much lower then 400-500. And watercooling has other benefits beyond that of good overclock, like noise reduction. Most of the reviewers fail to mention that in around 1 years time, corrosion will eat at TT blocks in the loop and can turn the water acidic destroying seals in the loop. The performance for the price is sub par, putting it in line with good air blocks at a much higher cost with harder upkeep and a much higher risk to other parts of your build.

Exactly what I'm trying to say.

Robertr wrote:
    Once you stick in a non-electrolytic coolant you should not have any problems.

Something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-020-DD&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=193
    There is only so much corrosion inhibitors can do, they'll only slow down the process not prevent it, all copper/brass loops are just plain better, also FluidXP is way (way) overpriced. I don't mean to sound like a, whatever word you wanna use, it's just all that nice heatware deserves some equally nice cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I hope you aren't basing your "I haven't seen any negative" stuff about that TT stuff from OCUK?

They are well known for allowing only the positive customer reviews on their site.

Caveat Emptor.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I hope you aren't basing your "I haven't seen any negative" stuff about that TT stuff from OCUK?

They are well known for allowing only the positive customer reviews on their site.

Caveat Emptor.

Heck no:

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/rev...?id=298&page=8

http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/artic...D4000_review/6

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Revie...f_LCS/pg5.html

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/kandalflcs/index8.php

I agree that its not the best WC solution, thats not what I'm saying. I just think for the money its very good value, especially compared to the two options that he had selected:

Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front , 25 cm Fan, Super tower (Without PSU)
    Thermaltake BigWater 735, 12cm Liquid Cooling System, s BTX/775/754/939/940

I plan on building a custom WC setup in a few months using the best gear I can get. Just wanted to get my feet wet with this first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

CiaranC wrote:
    The guy wants an uber flight sim machine and only one mention of multiple monitors in the thread. For shame!

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackClip-PRO.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nibble wrote:
    Exactly what I'm trying to say.

There is only so much corrosion inhibitors can do, they'll only slow down the process not prevent it, all copper/brass loops are just plain better, also FluidXP is way (way) overpriced. I don't mean to sound like a, whatever word you wanna use, it's just all that nice heatware deserves some equally nice cooling.

seconded im thinking of going back to watercooling but first i need this

also just downloaded nibtor gona tweak my gfx bios and see if i can get any more our of her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Right guy's and girls.

Here's the dealio.

After talking with him about his various options I think he got over whelmed and has decided to buy a Dell. Case closed I reckon. This is the second time he has asked me to spec a rig for him and second time he has gone with Dell.

There seems to be no talking to him. Looks like marketing talks. :(

or maybe i'm just not a good sales man.:p But that's not my job, it's just a hobby.

Thanks everybody who helped. I learned alot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I knew he'd go for a dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It'll be an XPS I presume? They are nice systems just overpriced, also he sounds like the ideal Dell customer!

Ok, then here is the Big Kahuna: The XPS 720 H2C.....€4249 for a QX6700 and dual 8800GTXs.

Extremetech have a review of the latest incarnation with an "overclocked" QX6800 and dual 8800 Ultras.

It manages 37 FPS at stock and 38 FPS overclocked in FSX at 1920x1200 with 4xAA and high AF.

EDIT: linkage here

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Ok, then here is the Big Kahuna: The XPS 720 H2C.....€4249 for a QX6700 and dual 8800GTXs.

Extremetech have a review of the latest incarnation with an "overclocked" QX6800 and dual 8800 Ultras.

It manages 37 FPS at stock and 38 FPS overclocked in FSX at 1920x1200 with 4xAA and high AF.

EDIT: linkage here

yeah the second one looks like the one he got alright. not a bad review either.

only bad thing is i never get to build a 5k rig :(

maybe in the new year for myself :)

It did look like fun, let us know if he is happy with the dell.

Not sure if anybody still cares or not, but just to finish this thread off.

I have not spoke to my uncle since he got his new PC , but I found this on his Flickr site.

http://flickr.com/photos/marinjohn45/839193730/in/set-72057594085122186/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I love the desk..any idea where he got it?
    Looking at a similiar one in PC World but it's flat on top..doesn't have the 2nd level for the monitor

Advertisement