Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Song of Ice and Fire to be a HBO tv series

• 03-07-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Maybe slightly old news, but only found out myself yesterday. If they put as much into it as they do in Rome and Deadwood, this should be absolutely stunning!! Full story here

Interestingly, a fan site has already set up an interesting (albeit sometimes unreliastic) prospective cast for the show. Take a look here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

Yeah I had heard about it but didn't know about the character/actor site.Thanks!

I like the Starks but none of the Targaryens jump at me. Granted it certainly is an unlikely list. Haven't looked at all but please tell me Orlando Bloom isn't in there ! :mad: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MortalSoil

From what Ive seen of tv series from HBO, the acting is usually top quality. Which means that Orlando Bloom wont get within a hundred miles of the set!! That website with the prospective cast is completely unofficial but there are a couple good shouts in there. Looking forward to when the official cast list is released but that'll be a while yet Im sure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's just been optioned. All it means is that they've got the rights to make it into a show, if they want, but there's absolutely no guarantee that it will get near production stage. It's under consideration for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

Yeah but I reckon it has a good chance with HBO.:D
    Although I think it would be next to impossible to transfer such an epic story thats really made to be read.Still, would be an interesting watch if it was done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

HBO would be the best channel to produce it, no one else would or could do it justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Yeah, HBO make some great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Riverfarset

How would they do the battle scenes? would they have the necessary funding?The likes of Rome is devoid of any real epic battles on screen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How would they do the battle scenes? would they have the necessary funding?The likes of Rome is devoid of any real epic battles on screen.
    Exactly - how often do we get to see relly big battles on screen in a TV show, more than a few actors in a little fracas? The only one I can think of is "Band of Brothers" and given that was the most expensive TV show ever and had the backing of Spielberg and Hanks, I can't see HBO forking out the same for a fantasy-novel derived series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I would assume most of it would be computer generated. Cant see them forking out for "Braveheart" style battles with hundreds of extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

This thread inspired me to read the books again. I forgot how vast the scope is. It's so easy to forget there's only 5 books at the moment, the amount of details Martin crams into each novel is unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The last book was so detailed that he had to split it into two and tell the story of half the characters in one while telling the story of the other half in another which is yet to be released.

Advertisement