Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creating a fun/good character in morrowind

• 03-07-2007 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I bought this game a week ago and haven't played it much because I wasn't happy with the couple of characters I created at first, and found it slow and annoying to make new ones.

What skills/races/classes should you avoid or focus on?

Is spear crap? It would be handy for training endurance.

I did that questionnaire to see which class matches your personality and got scout.

Opnions? Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Are alchemy and enchanting good or do they make the game too easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

am it depends on what you are like.

Some people love playing as a mage, some people love playing as stealth type characters while others love to clobber the crap out of someone with a sword

so it all really depends on how you want to play the game.

Once you decide on how you want to play then pick a race that gives natural advantages to this style.

Then pick your skills accordingly.

All characters are crap at the start until you build them up.

personally i never bothered with alchemy or enchanting in morrowind

I read on site that enchanting and alchemy are much too powerful in the game. You can cast any spell by enchanting an item with it, for less than the spell itself had you the right skill, and you can make too-powerful potions that work instantaeneously.

well towards teh end of the game you can enchant stuff with very powerfull spells but you have to find certain items to do this with and you have to be high enough levels to get them

Its like this really if want to play the game forget reading websites unless you get stuck. Play away as normal and discover the game for yourself.

Vegeta wrote:
    well towards teh end of the game you can enchant stuff with very powerfull spells but you have to find certain items to do this with and you have to be high enough levels to get them

Its like this really if want to play the game forget reading websites unless you get stuck. Play away as normal and discover the game for yourself.

Yeah it's just that the opening bit is a bit slow and boring and I've started three games and changed my mind about the character I created very quickly each time.

• Advertisement

probably play with

wood elf (bonuses align well with skillset I want and one of the portraits looks a bit like me)

sign: the lady

type: stealth

major:
    short blade
    sneak
    heavy armor (for endurance training though it doesn't really fit in with the character type)
    marksman
    restoration

minor:
    mysticism (for teleport)
    security
    speechcraft or illusion
    athletics
    acrobatics

enchant and alchemy appear to get too powerful and would spoil the game a bit - they also seem slightly tedious to use.

looking good :D

cool :)
    Finally happy enough with a character to let me get into the actual game a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭YoungPayters

now hopefully you can enjoy the guild quest that your character is more based towards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

used to always play as a thief guy, then found out that the mage way is much more fun.

A few things on the skills you chose:
    Short blade isn't great. Long blades are much more powerful and easy to find.
    Marksman is terrible in this game. It's all based on your skill rather than actually hitting the damn enemy so you could score a direct hit but the game will count it as a miss. Very hard to use. Destruction spells are much better for long range playing.

Other than that your choices are good. Enchanting is useless anyway as by the time your finding good enough things to enchant, your wealthy enough to pay someone else to do it who will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Marksman skill was drastically improved in Oblivion. Still remember that satisfying thunk as you put an arrow into an opponent's head.

Aww, now I'm getting all nostalgic for my ninja assassin vampire :(

Zillah wrote: »
    The Marksman skill was drastically improved in Oblivion. Still remember that satisfying thunk as you put an arrow into an opponent's head.

Aww, now I'm getting all nostalgic for my ninja assassin vampire :(

I loves the sneaky sniping too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Alchemy is madly overpowered in Morrowind. You can steal a full masters alchemy set in one of the mages guilds, head to a temple and buy ash yam and bloat by the hundreds - which gives you a fortify intelligence potion. Drink a few, and you can make a better potion, drink a few of the,, you can make an even better one, etc... After getting your intelligence up to around 10,000 (which will take about 5 minutes and last for about 15 minutes), any potion you make mill make you super strong/fast etc, or make you lots of money. And that can be done in the first 25 minutes of playing.

Oblivion handled this a little better by only allowing you to be affected by 4 potions at once, but you could still do this, albeit a lot slower.

Advertisement