Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lands Preserved

Options
  • 03-07-2007 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

This might sound stupid to you guys but im new to this and im a townie.
    Ijust got a shot gun and i've been out and about and i've seen this sign in a few places and wondered what it means.
    ***** GUN CLUB LANDS PRESERVED.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It means a Gun Club has shooting rights over the land in question and that only shooting in season is allowed in order to preserve the wildlife stocks. It also means that only members of the Gun Club have the right to shoot on the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The land concerned is controlled, as far as shooting etc is concerned by the gun club, probably the local one. keep out unless you are a member of the gun club !!!! Landowner has probably given permission to gun club so don't bother to approach him/her. Land preserved with no gun club means NO SHOOTING ETC AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Landowner has probably given permission to gun club so don't bother to approach him/her.

There's nothing stopping a landowner giving a non-club member permission to shoot on their land too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

civdef wrote:
    There's nothing stopping a landowner giving a non-club member permission to shoot on their land too.

Totally agree with the above.

Ask anyway, if you're interested in that bit of land that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

johngalway wrote:
    Totally agree with the above.

Ask anyway, if you're interested in that bit of land that is.

Agree, Bs about not going on the land, ask away, if the farmer says shoot away, nowt can be done, this mafia aproach to'WE OWN ALL SHOOTING' ect, will only end up with our sport getting taken away from us.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackieg

Thanks i thought it was something like that, did'nt want to look like a thicko to the locals.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jackieg wrote:
    Thanks i thought it was something like that, did'nt want to look like a thicko to the locals.
    Thanks again.

its always safer to ask first when it comes to anything to do with shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

We're plagued with people shooting on our land every year and cutting/damaging fences. It is incredibly annoying.

Land Preserved means 'no shooting on this land'

Club/group have got permission from landowner to put up sign, landowner has agreed to their shooting over land. Club/group have provided proof of insurance etc or landowner would be crazy to allow them shoot in first place !

The club have probably agreed to "police" the shooting of the land for the landowner, taking away responsiblity from him/her. Then some muppet who can't be arsed to join the club goes up to the house and asks for permission to shoot over the land. Landowners give clubs permission to shoot over their land to keep out poachers !!!!!!!! Clubs shoot the vermin and stock game onto the land and them some freeloader asks for permission to shoot there !

Great advise to a new shooter.......

My advice either join club or shoot elsewhere. If you get landowners permission you will not be popular with local club either. Might mean a refusal on a future membership application !

Join the gun club and you can shoot there and you won't have to hassle the landowner !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

It's the landowners perogative, not the clubs. And no landowner I know, myself included, would dream of ceding the rights and responsibilities of any aspect of land ownership.

Amazing as it may sound, I have neighbours who have been asked to stop shooting on thier own land by local club members who didn't know who they were talking to. And in rather rude terms as well.

The only poaching that goes on these days (around these parts) is travellers coursing hares. And I've yet to see any gun club member appear to tell them to get out. And you know I wouldn't expect them to either, the gamekeeping aspect of gunclubs is a bit of a myth in my opinion anyway.
    There is no legal standing that allows a gunclub member any right to tell anyone to leave land that they do not actually own.

And as for vermin shooting, most club members wouldn't raise the gun at anything other than game in season, the last time I saw a gunclub run a vermin shoot was many many years ago. Ask them to get rid of crows picking at bale plastic or rooting up new sown rapeseed and you might get some fellow driving up in his jeep and giving them two barrels out the window, and thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Be a brave man who would tell travellers or poachers to shift it these days!

BTW WHEN was the last case anyone can remember here that a gun club,gamekeeper/warden etc sucessfully prosecuted anyone for shooting a pheasent etc on their land??It is hard enough with deer to get a prosecution,not to mind game birds.Different story if there are gangs cleaning out a roost or release pen.But when was the last time anyone heard of that???

Banjax wrote:
    And as for vermin shooting, most club members wouldn't raise the gun at anything other than game in season, the last time I saw a gunclub run a vermin shoot was many many years ago. Ask them to get rid of crows picking at bale plastic or rooting up new sown rapeseed and you might get some fellow driving up in his jeep and giving them two barrels out the window, and thats all.

Unless the club owns the land then tough titty. If the landowner gives the OK then away you go without fear or favour owed to any man besides said owner and the cops.

I can only speak of the gunclub local to me but, what Banjax has posted would be representative of them. The one and only vermin shoot I know of that they did, I was a member at the time (but I was away for the vermin shoot), around 20 odd got 4 crows between them. I've lost count of the number of crows I've shot, going to trap properly this year and guess what I get nothing out of it. I do it for myself.

Never heard of one of them, besides one who's like me kinda does his own thing with landowners permish, ever ever stirring away from the fire to look for a fox nevermind shoot it.

The club here has signs up all over the place :rolleyes: They might go out to shoot a phesant in season, if the weathers good. But vermin? HA!

You're an independent shooter, knock on any door you like and bow down to no club :) Join if you like but if not remember that you owe them nothing :D It's the landowner who is key, if ya get his OK respect it and you'll have that bit of ground for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Long gone are the days when all Gun Club members activity taking part in shooting, my club consists of about 30 members, off which about 5-10 are active. It's a simple case of not enough young people been brought into the club or the sport, something the NARGC needs to look at going forward . But even non active members pay membership fees to the club !! And without these fees I lot of investment would not be possible.

The last 3 years I have activity pushed our club in a forward direction ..
    1. Actually getting to know more farmers, discussing what we do, insurance and countryside issues.. This has paid off big time with a least a phone call a week either asking to remove foxes or grey and magpies around lambs or bale plastic, and it normally only takes one day which insures other farmers will hear about it.
    2. Activity pursuing vermin - purchased 6 Larsen traps, 10 mink traps, lamping, ferreting!
    3. Organised Fox Shoots - even on the dirty cold nov & dec mornings
    4. Organised Duck Shoots
    5. Pheasant Breeding \ Release program - from nothing to buying in 30 adults over the last 3 years to this year building a pen and rearing 100 poults (hopefully 200 plus next year)

A lot of this would not have been accomplished without the club, building a pen, buying traps would have been a huge outlay for my persons finances!
    Also without NARGC membership discounts for poults and vermin equipment would also not be possible.

Clubs can be a big help for someone that has the time and passion … the club structure within our sport should not be written off!!

**Also last weekend a group of Travellers met me while out hare coursing, two calls to fellow members and within 5 mins you have 4 members and 3 vehicles … few strong words and they were gone.. Local Stg given the registration and description in case of other issues.

Banjax wrote:
    It's the landowners perogative, not the clubs. And no landowner I know, myself included, would dream of ceding the rights and responsibilities of any aspect of land ownership.

Amazing as it may sound, I have neighbours who have been asked to stop shooting on thier own land by local club members who didn't know who they were talking to. And in rather rude terms as well.

The only poaching that goes on these days (around these parts) is travellers coursing hares. And I've yet to see any gun club member appear to tell them to get out. And you know I wouldn't expect them to either, the gamekeeping aspect of gunclubs is a bit of a myth in my opinion anyway.
    There is no legal standing that allows a gunclub member any right to tell anyone to leave land that they do not actually own.

Agree, 110%.

Keelan.

johngalway wrote:
    Unless the club owns the land then tough titty. If the landowner gives the OK then away you go without fear or favour owed to any man besides said owner and the cops.

I can only speak of the gunclub local to me but, what Banjax has posted would be representative of them. The one and only vermin shoot I know of that they did, I was a member at the time (but I was away for the vermin shoot), around 20 odd got 4 crows between them. I've lost count of the number of crows I've shot, going to trap properly this year and guess what I get nothing out of it. I do it for myself.

Never heard of one of them, besides one who's like me kinda does his own thing with landowners permish, ever ever stirring away from the fire to look for a fox nevermind shoot it.

The club here has signs up all over the place :rolleyes: They might go out to shoot a phesant in season, if the weathers good. But vermin? HA!

You're an independent shooter, knock on any door you like and bow down to no club :) Join if you like but if not remember that you owe them nothing :D It's the landowner who is key, if ya get his OK respect it and you'll have that bit of ground for a long time.

Well said John and coming from a land owner yourself, you should know,;)
    You have, in my books, have culled more greys and foxes in the last year, then most have done in a lifetime on here.:D

Keep up the good work.

Keelan.;)

well said terrier ! My local club is the same. We help not exploit landowners generosity.

Clubs are only as good as their members.

Those whinging gits here should join one and change it instead of running them down.

It is going to get harder to get licences for firearms. Locally to me the super wants everyone in the local game club or range, even landowners. maybe not legal but his discretion will be legal next month. Check out the CJB.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Those whinging gits here should join one and change it instead of running them down.

no need for that bunny shooter its because the clubs are very closed/clanish that people can't/not allowed join clubs so its not just people whinging .....:mad:

Bunny

I'm only relating the current state of affairs as relates to my area, as is everyone else. You may well be part of a great club that's involved in it's community and works hard with the people good enough to allow them access to land. But it's that permission which allows clubs to exist. Without it, clubs would not have enough land to be worth bothering with.

There is nobody whinging, git or otherwise, just differing views being expressed. You can express yours without recourse to insult I'm sure.

As for the CJB, a super's discretion has to be based on legal and practical principles, and not allowing landowners to shoot on lands owned by them falls into neither catagory.

There is room for gunclubs and for people who for whatever reason are not part of a club. I've a lot of time for the NARGC, but I can trust my own instincts as to who I allow hunt over my land, thanks very much.

the hunter wrote:
    no need for that bunny shooter its because the clubs are very closed/clanish that people can't/not allowed join clubs so its not just people whinging .....:mad:

EXACTLY

Banjax wrote:

As for the CJB, a super's discretion has to be based on legal and practical principles, and not allowing landowners to shoot on lands owned by them falls into neither catagory.

Law is changed they have complete discretion on terms now. They were bad enough before what will it be like now.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

the hunter wrote:
    Agreed 110%. Some of the clubs in my area are little cliques where no blowins/rifle owners need apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

aren't all clubs cliques?

they're only cliques if you're not in it ?

There are a lot of clubs that consist, basically, of geriatrics and sons of said geriatrics. Not that I have anything against geriatrics, we're all on the way there hopefully.

What some of the other posters say here is very true, getting membership is very difficult, there is no set criteria and approval is arbitrary at best, biased and parochial at worst. And in this area at least, those clubs have suffered. Membership is down and the amount of land they have to hunt over is down as well.

Bunny and Terrier appear to be part of exceptional clubs, but in my experience at least, there are many more clubs that are the opposite.

Banjax,

I am a member of two NARGC affiliated clubs and both are open to new members as long as you are known to at least two people within the club and have not carried on as some of the posters here are recommending. Generally if you live within the club area, have no "previous" then you have an automatic right to join as per NARGC rules as far as I'm aware, maybe I'm wrong ???

How come some clubs have a no rifle policy? I must get on to the NARGC about that.

Bunny

You're the guy who's a member of not one, but two clubs, so why should I know the rules any better than you?
    And as for having "previous", whatever that may be, you and I know that there are any number of reasons can be given to an applicant to fob him or her off: You're just outside our boundaries, you haven't been shooting long enough, you only have a rifle and rifles are deadly dangerous, we're full for the next few years, you're bringing no land with you, so on and so forth.

Automatic right? The intent might be there, but in practice that is not the case.

Your two clubs are excepted of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Clubs that take the approach that only members who can benefit the club or are relations of exiting members will find out over the next decade or so how this policy with see the demise of there clubs!
    My own club was like that for a time, I myself "was a blow in" had no land and only for the persistent of two friends who were members I would still be looking for membership..
    When I joined the club membership had fallin from 49 to just 16!
    I went to every monthly meeting for two years listen to a lot of crap and infighting before I was put forward to the committee as Treasurer, my mate took the Chairman position and it was at this point we decide we needed to pull the club forward.
    Since then we have implemented a

- New constitution and Rules (7 pages long very clear and very precise!)
    - A clear membership application process..
    - Outside membership - People from outside club boundries
    - New Member Information pack - this is our latest project, set up to help new members, includes constitution, rules, firearm safety, beating procedures, contact and we are working on OSI maps of all club lands and land owners names..
    - Vermin Control Policy
    - Pheasant Release Program (Our first year)
    - Annual Club Social

The to do list..
    - Charity Clay Shoot
    - Increase pheasant release program to 200 birds per year.

Been a 4 year process but we are getting new membership from both local and non-local … about 30 members in all.. It would want to be something very serious for someone not to get membership, we have members who just hunt pheasant & ducks, some who just do clay shooting, some just hunt deer and one who is a target shooter.. To me the term "Gun Club" does not limit it to shotgun game shooting only.

Keelan & JohnGalway if ye only lived near me.. i've seen the damage ye boys do to vermin and ye would be a fantastic addition to any club..

Fair play to ya Terrier. It is a pity the local clubs around these parts are not more progressive like yours.

• Advertisement

Terrier wrote:
    Keelan & JohnGalway if ye only lived near me.. i've seen the damage ye boys do to vermin and ye would be a fantastic addition to any club..

Sounds like a proper set up alright Terrier, I've seen some of your work elsewhere :cool: :D

I think there's a lad in this thread bitching about my bitching, taking it kinda personal like. Like I said I was talking about my local club and independent shooters. In essence what he's (sorry haven't gone back looking for a name) saying is the mirror of what I am, so if yer calling me anything watch out where the other 4 fingers are pointing. That's all I got to say on that subject :)

Advertisement