Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn direct rang me today in relation to an online quote

Options
  • 03-07-2007 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

It wasnt an external company.

Quinn have offices in UK now, and sometime calls route through them. She was more then likely in the Enniskillen office. Same way if someone from the blanch offce rings, it shows up 049 number.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I had just done the quote yesterday evening and it was for a survey. They just asked me was it competitive and I said yes and then they said did I ring around to any other insurance company and I said know even though I had.

I'm thought afterwards maybe I should have said it wasn't competitive even though it was...that perhaps maybe if I did say it was incompetitive that I might get 50 or 100 off come my renewal next month.

Should I have said no in the hope of saving a couple of quid from a rip off industry or was it the right thing to say it was competitive when it was.

It annoyed me a little that they rang me as I specified not to contact me on the online form. I said this to the girl on the phone aswell. She said sorry and added a note to my details. This survey thing was outsourced i'd say and the call was from a UK number so it's bad form that quinn are passing your details to an external company like that especially when you specify them not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I was pissed off that they were ringing me and I wasn't interested in discussing quotes over the phone with them.

When getting a quote did you press the button that says they are not allowed pass on a quote?

Edit: This thread is so messed up :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

ring up quinn direct and give them hell for passing on your details to an external company. Without your permission. Make sure you ask to speak to supervisor or manager.

With regard to the competitiveness. Ring around. Hopefully you'll get a very similar quote. Then ring Quinn back again and tell them you are leaving because they passed your details on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BJ2007

there is a section on the online quote thing where you give permission for your details to be passed. you have to select to not allow them otherwise you receive them calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Maybe you have a natural disposition to saying what you believe will please the person to whom you say it (particularly when they are female)? Or perhaps as a current customer you have a subconscious loyalty which made you praise their competetiveness and deny having received quotes from other companies?

Anyway, enough of the psycho-analysis, I wouldn't worry about the call, it will probably bear no relation to what your renewal premium will be. When my insurance is due I call around a shed load of companies to see what the cheapest is. Then I decide the amount I'm prepared to pay, irrespective of the lowest quote I've been given, and then inform my current insurer that if they match it I will renew with them. This hasn't failed me in 4 years and now I pay £253 stg for fully comprehensive with protected no claims which is 40% less than the lowest true quote and 50% less than what they quoted at time of renewal. :cool:

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    Maybe you have a natural disposition to saying what you believe will please the person to whom you say it (particularly when they are female)? Or perhaps as a current customer you have a subconscious loyalty which made you praise their competetiveness and deny having received quotes from other companies?

Anyway, enough of the psycho-analysis, I wouldn't worry about the call, it will probably bear no relation to what your renewal premium will be. When my insurance is due I call around a shed load of companies to see what the cheapest is. Then I decide the amount I'm prepared to pay, irrespective of the lowest quote I've been given, and then inform my current insurer that if they match it I will renew with them. This hasn't failed me in 4 years and now I pay £253 stg for fully comprehensive with protected no claims which is 40% less than the lowest true quote and 50% less than what they quoted at time of renewal. :cool:

I could probably answer yes to both your insights but i'm justified. I think actually the reason I did not say I got quotes from other companies is because I was pissed off that they were ringing me and I wasn't interested in discussing quotes over the phone with them.

Are you with Quinn direct. I heard they never move on price. I'm not a good haggler anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Generally they dont move on price, the agents on the phones dont have the authority to amend the prices, and it would have to go to an assistant manager.

Ring them, give out crap for passing on your details, and they may knock 50quid off as a good will gesture to avoid a written complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

quick quinn direct related question.

Got my renewal quote off them, for about €1500, but putting my details in online gives me €1200. I'm going to ring them up, and see if they'll match the online quote, but if they don't, can i just say i don't want to take up their renewal offer, then purchase the online quote (and date it to start the day my current insurance ends)

Is it that easy, or is there something that i am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Tauren wrote:
    quick quinn direct related question.

Got my renewal quote off them, for about €1500, but putting my details in online gives me €1200. I'm going to ring them up, and see if they'll match the online quote, but if they don't, can i just say i don't want to take up their renewal offer, then purchase the online quote (and date it to start the day my current insurance ends)

Is it that easy, or is there something that i am missing?

I've renewed online with a new quote rather than paying the slightly higher renewal notice. You just have the added work of posting back your proof of no claims to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

davidoco wrote:
    I've renewed online with a new quote rather than paying the slightly higher renewal notice. You just have the added work of posting back your proof of no claims to them.
    can you send a photocopy, or does it have to be the one they have (seems odd they can't just use the copy on their files!)

Also, my insurance disc says 17.7, does that mean i should get my new insurance to start on the 17th, or the 18th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You don't have to send them proof of no claims if you're an existing customer. I've done this with them. My last renewal was €300 cheaper online than the renewal quote they sent me. I kept the reference number from the online quote, rang them and politely asked why they gave me, a loyal customer, a far worse quote than some random newcomer to the website. They gave it to me for the web quote then.

That pissed me off but they're still far, far cheaper than anyone else for me at the moment. Hibernian still won't insure me unless I do their ignition course (I have a full licence over 2 years now. They want 3.). Asshats. Even then they'd still be more expensive than Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am 32 and have 5 years ncb, 10 years full licence and they still want the ignition course. Like wtf?

hahaha, are you trying to insure a Ferrari with them or something? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 drifter32

Got a call from them today too! Had been plugging various cars into their online system out of curiosity more than anything else.

Ok well i'm not in the easiest situation here now. My current premium with quinn is up next month. I got an online quote based on my one year no claims on the website and it came down significantly. Then I discussed ways to bring down your quote on another thread here.
    Someone suggested putting the value of your car up to 3K which I did and it brought my quote down a good bit. I was hoping now that I would just pay the prem* directly through the site as in buying a new policy rather than renewing.

So I want to just buy this new policy on the site but what do I do then about my no claims or will they just see that I was already on the system and ask no questions about my cars appreciation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ha, they rang me on Monday, about their little survey in the office. UK number. They are not supposed to ring you if you have stated that you dont want them to.
    At the mo, I'm getting quotes off the online system for cars I'm interested in. If they ring me later I won't be happy.

Workaccount - get the quote reference number for the online quote and give that to them over the phone. Should be no problem then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

well any time i do an online quote, i dont enter a valid phone number, so they dont get the chance to bug me, and there obliged to match any quote you get online against your renewal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

brilliant Fanboy, pre-emptive answering!! how did u manage that one!!
    Not the first thread I have spotted like this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

This is why I ticked the box saying 'no you can't contact me or pass my information'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

just rang them up with my new cheaper quote, and the guy on the phone said they don't match other quotes, and said he'd flag it on the system that i wasn't going to renew.

I was expecting him to match it or have a counter offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Beta2 wrote:
    just rang them up with my new cheaper quote, and the guy on the phone said they don't match other quotes, and said he'd flag it on the system that i wasn't going to renew.

I was expecting him to match it or have a counter offer?
    They matched it for me when I was renewing...talk about creating a lot of extra paperwork and hassle for everybody, they should have just given you the online price. :mad:

I thought that once they'd given you a quote, online or not, they had to let you purchase at that price (within a reasonable time) once quoted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do Quinn send out a NCB cert with the renewal quote? If So simply buy the online quote and send back quinns own ncb cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Bond-007 wrote:
    Do Quinn send out a NCB cert with the renewal quote? If So simply buy the online quote and send back quinns own ncb cert.
    Yeah that should work no problem.

I did this with my broker, their on-line quote was cheaper than the renewal, so I just went for the on-line one, they rang me a few days before my insurance was about to expire, asking if I was going to renew it, and I told them that I had already 'renewed' my insureance with them on-line, was no hassel at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

just got a call from them as well after getting a quote last night and ticking all the "no contact" boxes. very bad practise on their part.

Advertisement