Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing fridge freezer

Options
  • 03-07-2007 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can anyone advise? My sister is moving back to ireland from canada and shipping some house hold goods. Can she use her canadian fridge/freezer and what would she need to do to convert the voltage for ireland.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

A voltage transformer and socket convertor should do the job nicely. She should check before she leaves though.

Something like this, I'd say http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/step-up-transformer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

These are quite small transformers. Would they would be a good idea with a fridge? It could be just looking for trouble.

Some US/Canada appliances run at 220V, so check.

Remember the frequency (measured in Hertz) is also different. This will probably not make a difference, but it might, if the compressor motor runs slower for instance, as a result.

I would talk to an electrician about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 prose

Thanks for the helpful info, will check out the voltage requirements.

Advertisement