Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God is an Astronaut! - "Far From Refuge"

Options
  • 03-07-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Its been bugging me for ages now, i haven't seen a single thread on them since the new album came out.

You can listen to a few tracks and see a few videos on their myspace.
    http://www.myspace.com/godisanastronaut
    I think they are fecking brilliant. I like them better than any other post rock groups you could throw at me.

The new album is a riveting mix of intrumentals. "Radau", "Beyond the Dying Light" and "Sunrise in Aries" are amongst my favorites. The build up and the peak of these songs fill me with emotion and send goosebumps through me.

Its like (hypothetically), oh something really really ****ty happened today, it goes away when you listen to this album. But thats probably just me.

I first heard of the band in at a festival in Charleville Castle, i was doing security and they were one of the few bands that really caught the mood of [the festival atmosphere] that time (2002 maybe!!).

Since then, as you could probably tell from my Last Fm page, i have given them a religious (and yes, sometimes fanboish :p ) ear.

I was suspicious of this album before it came out, how it could compare to earlier epic-ass songs like "Coda" or "Fragile", by my my my, how they have really outdone themselves with this "Far From Refuge".

You can buy the album Cd from their official site www.superadmusic/god or you can download the mp3's with no scummy DRM. Best to wait until the 19th of July though to grab the extra bonus tracks.

Fair play to the lads for this stunning piece of aural sechs! The next album will be a double disc CD and will probably be released in 2009.

They are currently touring Europe and sadly, will not be playing in Ireland for a while. But i might pick my lazy ass up and go to them in teh Netherlands on the 26th of October.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

saw them in tripod a while back and they were amazing. so tight. inspirational stuff.

i have the end of the beginning but i do intend picking the new one up.

route 666 all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Super band, I've seen them twice live now. Hope they play more Irish shows soon. Did I hear they had recorded a Dublin gig for a DVD release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 e.doobie

saw them twice. first time was last valentines and it was unreal.

I wouldn't say its best post rock out there but not far from it.

far from refuge is, again, unbelievable.

support this band!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Bought the jap cd with the extra tracks off the website yesterday. Came into a bit of money. Hope it comes soon. They wont be in ireland again live for a long time.

Bought the jap cd with the extra tracks off the website yesterday. Came into a bit of money. Hope it comes soon. They wont be in ireland again live for a long time.
    Really? I was under the impression that they'd do Dublin/Cork/Galway again before the year is out.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Blackrocks

just found great blog ye might be interested in - 'the torture garden blogspot.com' great reviews and lots of free music n other reviews n downloads - worthcheckn out - is always no 1 or 2 in irish blogs.
    let us know what u think?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrophe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macpaddy

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of some good music.It's getting harder and harder for me to find stuff I like

macpaddy wrote:
    Thanks for pointing me in the direction of some good music.It's getting harder and harder for me to find stuff I like

You might also like an album by 65 Days of Static. Its called "One Time for All Time". Similar taste and its one of their quieter albums.

65days are coming back to Cork in November. Yay.

I'm also going to see Explosions In The Sky in January, so hopefully GIAA will complete the post-rock lineup and announce a gig or two here soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

adam_ccfc wrote:
    65days are coming back to Cork in November. Yay.

I'm also going to see Explosions In The Sky in January, so hopefully GIAA will complete the post-rock lineup and announce a gig or two here soon. :)

Where you going to see EITS? You will NOT be disappointed!!!

eZe^ wrote:
    Where you going to see EITS? You will NOT be disappointed!!!
    at the village in dublin, man. should be good!

The entire God is an Astronaut new Album has been on Last-Fm for about a month now. So if you haven't, maybe you could give it a listen.
    The Radau live track and the extra tracks are there too.

Another addition i would like to post to the thread are The Samuel Jackson Five, have a listen and do yourself a favour and stop at nothing until you've heard "Song for Sarah" and "Charlie Foxtrot Queen".

"The Russian Circles" are just that little bit more Rock than Post-Rock and you can have a gander here and download a free track here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reckoner

Yeah not a bad album, although in my opinion it goes in order, End of the Beginning their best, followed by the nearly as good All is Violent, then this. Saw them at the Academy last May, really good. New self titled 4th album out on the 17th of this month, will look forward to that! One of the really good Irish bands!

Aww sweet i missed that, says the 7th on the website, which is tomorrie! :D

Advertisement